• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Cured diabetic

Jo Ann

No insulin since 2 days after surgery on August 11 2012, and no Janumet since mid September and my BSL has been normal to low. :D

Jo Ann congratulations I too got off insulin and diabetic pills too my ac1 blood work came back at 6.0 I don't think it's ever been that nbr Doctor was very proud and told me no more diabetic med. yeahhhhhhhhhhh,
congratulations on your great weight loss too. keep up the good work.
donna

Hi, I'm diabetic also. My doctor is really supportive about this surgery. She says that it may cure my diabetic troubles too. I've got to do something for it. A couple of years ago I lost all of the feeling in my feet. Last year I lost the feeling in my fingers too.

Hi, I'm diabetic also. My doctor is really supportive about this surgery. She says that it may cure my diabetic troubles too. I've got to do something for it. A couple of years ago I lost all of the feeling in my feet. Last year I lost the feeling in my fingers too.

Good Luck to you! I'm sure you will do well. :)

Cheyenne

hi Renee how are you today? are you considering the bariatric surgery? It really does work had mine done over 15 months ago and I would do it all over again if I had to, it changes your life in a positive way. I too am from Illinois but I have never heard of your town. It does help with neuropathy too that is caused from diabetic condition, I still have to take neuropathy med, only at night but that is 100% better than I was before I know how it feels to have your limbs go numb and all the aggrevation you are being faced with. this site has been so helpful to me, it's been a few months since I was on here but they sure helped me a lot before and after my surgery, I had to wait 9months to get my surgery and it was hard but so glad I stuck it out and had it done. love to talk so free to send me a message. have a good day, Donna

The last insulin shot I received was as I entered the hospital. I was on metformin er 2000mg per day and up to 90 units of Novolog (fast insulin). I managed to keep my sugars under control, but it did take a lot of medication to do it. I managed to keep my A1C under 6.0. Now, I don't need any meds and in another month or so I expect my A1C will still be in the 5's and all that without any meds; all a result of weight loss surgery and specifically gastric bypass, which for most of us brings immediate results.

I also understand that the gastric sleeve over time and sooner than later for some will achieve similar results. Just wasn't sure about that at time of surgery so I went with the proven procedure to control diabetes and therefore selected gastric bypass.

Ralph

When is your surgery date? Is your surgery the same as the gastric bypass?

Like you I have numbness as well as burning and tingling in my feet and hands. (And that is with taking 2 meds for nerve pain). Both my Diabetic and Primary doctors are supportive of surgery as when I lose weight, it makes a big difference in my blood sugars and A1C. My surgery is in 5 weeks and I am getting excited. I take 2 diabetic meds as well as take insulin. I am truly looking forward to the possibility of lowering if not getting rid of all of these.

Got the news yesterday that I have diabetes. Today I got my Acu-chek and a prescription for Metformin. I am so relieved to know my surgery is scheduled for September 18. My health has been in rapid decline since January.

Got the news yesterday that I have diabetes. Today I got my Acu-chek and a prescription for Metformin. I am so relieved to know my surgery is scheduled for September 18. My health has been in rapid decline since January.

What must be understood is your type 2 diabetes is NOT cured. It is controlled. It does require you to follow a good diet like the bariatric diet that your doctor will recommend. If you do then you will get good. Results and your A1c will improve.

However, if you are. Foolish and consume too many carbohydrates, especially sweets you. Can still. Spike your sugars. And end up with a high A1C.

You still have T2 diabetes. It is controlled.

For me I keep my carbon intake to 100 to 150 grams a day and I strive for less than 100 grams on many days. I generally see sugar readings around 100 to 120 as a result.

This should translate to an A1C in the 5's.

I am going for bloodwork this week.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I too write down everything I put into my mouth. I keep track of my carbs and try to keep them under 60 grams per day, calories under 1000/ day, fiber over 15/day ( should be 25/day but then I go over the carbs and calories and I just can't eat that much or I'll upchuck) and last of all protein over 60 per day. My A1c has been at 5.6 and 5.2 since my surgery. I just had my big 6 month post surgery fasting blood test of 13 vials of blood including an A1c done this morning. I don't test my blood sugar any more, my PCP told me I didn't have to test three months ago, so I gave it with all the lancet drums and test strips to a friend. That felt wonderfully emancipating! My weight loss has stalled and that's a bummer. I go in for my weigh in on the 6th of June. So far I've lost only about 63 #s but I am three sizes smaller and one shoe size smaller.

Gosh sorry I'm just going on and on about me. The success rate for diabetes correction is astounding with all the WLS surgeries, the bypass being the hallmark surgery, but the sleeve is indeed a close second. You should do well whatever procedure you choose just make sure you find an excellent doctor and facility and follow the rules and you'll be singing your own praises soon too!
BOLAW (best of luck and wishes),
Kt

When I was at my support group meeting, the surgical teams psychiatrist and fellow bypass patient said something I found helpful. (Especially when you see how good she looks.) She said that she did not eat carbs till she hit her goal weight. I think that is a good idea mainly because I am a carb addict and it would be my safest way to eat. Thought it was some great advice.

When I was at my support group meeting, the surgical teams psychiatrist and fellow bypass patient said something I found helpful. (Especially when you see how good she looks.) She said that she did not eat carbs till she hit her goal weight. I think that is a good idea mainly because I am a carb addict and it would be my safest way to eat. Thought it was some great advice.

Hi Redmama,

I know the patient at your meeting meant simple carbs, rice, corn, pasta, bread, sweets; but when I chart carbs I mean complex carbs from seeds, nuts, fruit, and vegetables. See I'm on a quest to reach the recommended daily Fiber intake within a low carb (complex) high protein diet of 1K calories per day. I threw a thread out there about a month ago for help with this journey and got a lot of helpful recipes and suggestions.

One really cool thing about the bypass is that you'll get very sick if you even attempt to eat one bite of simple carbs so yippee for aversion therapy. With the sleeve I don't think it is quite as violent as the dumping syndrome from eating simple carbs and fats, but it is still nasty enough. I'm at six months and I can't eat pasta, rice, corn, or bread, except a half slice toast. I tried chow mein last night and up chucked the whole thing. Yuck....maybe that's a kind of dumping, but I did get so violently sick once early on that the pain brought me to my knees and I vomited everything I had in my stomach then finished off with the shivers and nausea. That was Dumping no doubt about it. The other is ohhh I'm gonna be sick then barfing kinda sick, not as bad, but enough for me.

I have no doubt that you'll do very well with your WLS you are already so involved and pro active that you're bound for success.

BTW. one thing I love most about this journey is that it has brought me back to my body. I've been so distracted then ashamed once I realized that I had ignored my body for so long that I was so far disconnected from it I just couldn't find my way back to me again. Now I have gone through such a drastic change I once again am aware of what my body needs and wants and I'm still listening and learning. This make all of me so very happy. Like an old friend that I've missed for a long time coming home to me again. What a wonderful thing this journey is.

Wow KT,
What a great message! All the helpful information and your encouragement. I appreciate that very much.
Seeds, nuts, fruit and veg are all my friends. So glad complex carbs are on the menu.
I'm going to go search for a link to that post you made.
I am so thrilled to be taking this journey and I can hear the happiness in your words. YAHOO!

Good Morning,

all I can say is you are receiving lots of good advice and thoughts in this thread.

I wish you well.

This was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

I literally bought my life back.

I am 70.

Now, I have a real chance of reaching my 80s. I think in terms of mortality and wanting to see a brand new grandson grow up.

So, lots to go on here. Lots of good vibes going your way.

All good advice.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I'm feeling the love Ralph! Thanks for passing down all your wonderful wisdom. These boards have helped me out so much.

Back