• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Currently pre-op

AnnieB2998

Hello,
I'm glad I found this site! I have surgery scheduled on 2/28/24. Been on a lifestyle coaching regimen with doctors for 5 months so I could get approved for surgery. 5m checking in with doctors, tracking every calorie, and reporting exercise has gotten be down a whopping 9lbs.
Getting a little nervous getting closer to the date! Any advise for immediate post op and pain control?

As long as you're going to a good bariatric surgeon & program, everything will be smoothly explained and doled out to you, in addition to your post-op diet. It's the greatest thing in the world, this gift of being able to go from obese to thin, sick to healthy.

I found my abdominal binder to be very helpful. It held everything in place, so I had less pain. Since every movement you make you'll feel in your torso/abs. My husband hated his. So, hopefully you get one in the hospital so you can try it for yourself.

They will give you pains meds to go home. It was not nearly as bad as I expected. You do need to take it easy and allow yourself the time to heal.

Good luck!

Hello,
I'm glad I found this site! I have surgery scheduled on 2/28/24. Been on a lifestyle coaching regimen with doctors for 5 months so I could get approved for surgery. 5m checking in with doctors, tracking every calorie, and reporting exercise has gotten be down a whopping 9lbs.
Getting a little nervous getting closer to the date! Any advise for immediate post op and pain control?
Annie, I am also named Annie, hello! I'm excited for you! I've been working for months but not having to track things as strictly for my doctor, and I've gained each month. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

The abdominal binder is fantastic. And my hospital sent me home with one, though it was crudely constructed. You can go to a sporting goods store and get a "weight belt," which is sometimes padded lightly and has suspenders, so it holds everything in and pulls the sagging abdomen up. I also have back problems so I still use my abdominal binders occasionally today. But it is SO WORTH IT to have one. The pain from some RYGB can be severe--especially if you have an open procedure, like I did, where I was in surgery for a few hours and kept in the hospital for a few days before being released.

Back