• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Daily diet 3 weeks post

Butyba

I need help here. So entirely sick of protien shakes. Do not like whey. Can't even stand the smell of it. Using EAS soy vanilla flavor. Only on I've tried I find acceptable. Have tried several. Using power milk in cream of soups. Miss chewing food! Multi vitamin (bariatric advantage) makes me sick to stomach. Am frustrated. Have no real appetite so finding it hard to even want to consume food I need to. Not meeting protien requirement by like 20 grams all though doc says okay cause still new. Have nibbled food that should not be eating without any side effects (very small bites chewed well). Know I shouldn't but as said before sick of protien shakes. Upper GI done yesterday and stomach or what's left of it water tight. :) getting 600-800 calories in and doc says that's good too. Not getting enough fluid in. Maybe 40 oz in addition to one can cream of something soup with power milk and 4oz of protien shake. Walking maybe 1/2 mile daily at least 1 time a day. Arrrghh. Noticing lots of changes to body. Undies are saggy! :D
Enyhoo...would appreciate any thoughts, words of encouragement, whatever.

Butyba

Hi Butyba,
I know exactly where you are coming from. I had the same exact reaction. I do not like whey protein isolate either. I have found Premier protein shakes sold at Costco are acceptable. They come in a case of 18 I think and cost about $25. I have only seen vanilla and chocolate. The vanilla is very sweet and the chocolate is mild. They are 11 ounces with 30 grams of protein. They have a combination of different protein in it so it is not all whey isolate. I have also found Nectar which is whey protein isolate which I like. It is not a shake. It is more like a juice. You do have to mix it. It has a mild taste and is very refreshing on a hot day. I found that it costs $41 at The Vitamin Shoppe but only $10 on line at Bariatric Advantage. That is an amazing difference in price. I am 8 weeks out and am only losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Weird huh? I am never hungry and have to force myself to eat something. In the early am I take my medicines. Then about 2 hours later I start taking my vitamins which are still very hard going down. I take a gummi multi vitamin, a chewable calcium - I have found a yummy dark chocolate calcium chew made by Hero Nutritional Products called Healthy Indulgence. Each medallion contains 500 mg. so I take it 3 times a day. I find it I chew on one of those before I take my potassium, the potassium goes down easier. I was told to crush the potassium but that was just too gross for me to handle so I cut the pill in 4. This seems to work well. By the way I just finished the 11 ounces of the protein drink and it took me an hour and a half to finish. I wonder how to get it all in when it takes so long to drink such a small amount. OK so I have found that I can tolerate some jerky's. The ones that contain 15 grams of protein in an ounce is very hard on my stomach. But the 10 grams of the nuggets are very acceptable. Usually that is all I eat in a day. I am trying to do better but the entire day gets away from me before I remember to eat. I am so consumed with drinking my 64 ounces of liquid a day and getting my protein in. I need 70 grams of protein a day. EWWWW! I think I am always complaining when I have an appointment. I had the r-y bypass so our procedures are a little different. I know you will conquer this, we all will. Keep smiling because smiling helps much. Keep us posted. I know everyone is interested here.

Hi all, you experience sounds so familiar to me, for the first 6 months I had to force myself to eat so I would get enough calories and protien after that I would forget to eat a lot of times. I am 2 years out and I still forget to eat at times but I make sure to suplament with a protien shake if I am not very hungry and also one afer my workout. I like the chocoRite shake I found on the bariatric choice web site, there are 4 flavors, chocolate, strawberry, cappachino, and bannana. You both are doing great. :cool: Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response. Am trying hard not to eat solid foods. Have moved up to Chobani yogurt not blended and cottage cheese. Which does seem to help a little. Got plenty of protien in that way yesterday.
Still working on fluid. Feel like I could stay up all night drinking and still not get enough in. Go back to work next weekend. Worries me alittle. 12 hour shifts! Will I have the energy/ strength? Boss has been understanding so far and says I can leave early if I need to. Have to be cleared by Occ Health first. Blah blah blah I go on. Thanks again.

Butyba

The protein shakes you get at Costco are good I also used the Premier Protine I added 1/4 of a banana to 1/2 a can of eather the chocolate or vinilla to give myself a third and fourth flavor. My brother adds a little bit of instent decaf to make Moca. I think he adds just a little water to make it liquid. I dont like moca but maby some of you do. The Premire Protine bars are good too. I have 1/2 for breckfast and the rest at 2:00 for a protine snack. Remember to journal. I quit doing mine and got myself In trouble and gained some weight. Just a few chips will hurt!!!!!

Fage plain Greek yogurt has tons of protein. I bought some fresh strawberries and made smoothies with the yogurt and some no calorie sweetener. Have also used canned no sugar added peaches. It tasted good to me and was easy on my new tiny pouch.

These ideas all sound great. I'm not buying protein yet, but am taking all the supplements that I am told to take. As far as multi-vitamins, I take Flintstone complete, they have everything except the iron I need, so I add that in. I also found a liquid calcium citrate that I like, it is citrus flavored.

I had the same surgery you had was worried because I can drink one of the EAS shakes in l0 15 minutes. I am afraid I will stretch out my pouch. I am not ever hungry, but I try to eat three meals a day and drink
2 shakes between and drink V-8 and eat sugar free jello.

You can get Greek yogurt with zero fat. Just check the labels. Dannon and Yoplait make sugar free yogurts. I think both use Splenda but can't be 100% sure, again, check the labels. I have a recipe for homemade yogurt. PM me if you want me to send it to you. It's fantastic and you won't want store bought yogurt ever again once you make your own. No special equipment needed except a candy thermometer. Most of the time needed to make it is when it is just sitting there culturing.

Pat,
I would love the recipe for making home made yogurt. If I start with Greek Yogurt will the new yogurt have the same amount of protein in it? How do you know the exact nutritional information when you make your own.
How are you doing? I am down 41 pounds now.
Your surgery date sister

I struggled so very much with all the sweet protein drinks. I am 11days post op lost 20 lbs. What a struggle so i decided to make my own home made soup and just liquidfy it wow. I can not eat another can soup except i enjoy the tomatoe by progresso. I came to the point i would get so nauseated i can not stand the smells of meds and protein. Keep adding variety. I always pick up so many new ideas on this site. I keep reminding myself that this is a tool and a eventully i will eat what i like just less with a few exceptions. The frustration is also not being as active. Altho i feel like i am being reintroduced to my body. It has helped me see what i have done even causing discomfort i.e. to much or eating sweets that caused so much pain later. I am trying to learn to be sensitive to everything and be aware of what to avoid at all costs to avoid pain and emotional stress. Has anyone found they have less tolerance for things like strong coffee, tea, even the prot. Drinks!!!!?????? I used to like the stronger the better. This part of fhe journy is exciting to have a new fresh start. I keep telling myself to not forget what i am learning because i always forget and end up failing. How much have you lost now? I wish more people would share that info. It really excites me to see others succeed. Great team here. Elaine

Lee-I haven't had any problems with not liking any of the foods I used to eat before surgery but I am having a problem with my pouch not liking certain things. I can eat tuna and chicken salad but have a difficult time with roasted chicken and even baked or broiled fish. When I eat these things my pouch hurts after a couple of bites. Yet I can eat bacon, jerky, low fat lunchmeat, most cooked veggies and salads. I eat a lot of homemade soup and sometimes I eat hot cereal. My sense of taste has become super sensitive to certain things like garlic and salt. I can tolerate strong coffee (was restricted to decaf until today :) ), tea and love, love, love protein drinks. Since I am not able to eat solid meat yet I rely on at least one protein drink daily. I am on 800 calories a day and if it wasn't for that I would probably have 2 or 3 protein drinks a day *LOL* I just love them and do not have any issues with them.

You mentioned that you would like it if more people would share how much weight they lost. If you look to the left of the posts under the member names most of us put our starting and current weight there.

I'm on my seventh week post-op I have just been introduced to lean hamburger or ground turkey, but I'm kind of apprehensive about trying them, I've had no problem with any kind of stomach pain. The thing I am afraid of is having something
be too big to pass through my stomach opening. I use deli turkey that has been shaved and I chop it with a knife and eat it with laughing cow garden veg. cheese and spread on whole wheat saltines. I drink some of the protein drinks hot, I get
the Atkins carmel latte with coffee and chocolate mocha.

I didn't have any problems with ground turkey or hamburger, I use ut for taco meat and I also liked the turkey sausage link with a scrambled egg for breakfast, I still do the taco's but now I just have some cottage cheese and yogurt for breakfast because it is so much easier than cooking, but post op it was os good after what seemed like months of protien drinks:rolleyes:. I think I started with 2 oz's of meat or aboy 1/4 cup and table spoon of refried beans, but try 1 oz first and see what that does, you will know within 3 to 5 minutes if it doesn't agree with you. Good luck. :cool: Tom

Just remember to chew everything really well. We were told 20-30 times chewing to almost liquify it. I have trouble with that, but I am working on it. I have dentures and sometimes its still hard to chew with them. I need to get them realigned but a friend told me to wait till I lost more weight because they said my gums would shrink more too. Does anyone know about that?

Nana-one of my relatives lost a significant amount of weight. Her upper dentures became very loose as a result of her weight loss. She couldn't even talk without her dentures slipping off. She made no effort to use any sort of denture adhesive either so I don't know if that helps or not. I would have to think it does help to a certain extent. I also know of some people who had a permanent liner added to avoid having to pay for new dentures.

Tom, I just got all my teeth pulled and a new set of dentures one month before my surgery, so it has been difficult for me to chew anything. The dentist told me when I lose weight that my jaw will also shrink, so he will wait untill then to realign.
I made spaghetti with ground turkey today, very good.

Back