• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Daily Intake

Letrell

I use the word 'intake'; 'diet' is no longer in my vocabulary, LOL. It gives me the willies to even bring up a diet. So...here goes...

MORNING SUPPLEMENTS with about 1/4 c water or orange juice (fresh squeezed): C, B1, B, Iron, Prenatal, Calcium, Prilosec. On Fridays I add one B12. Throughout the day I must consume 1 - 2 tsp of fiber, 3 oz of liquid potassium, 70g Potassium by way of a liquid shake.
*Note* Per my physician, when Vitamin C is consumed with fresh orange juice, it is absorbed immediately into the blood stream assuring 100% of it is used by the body. Her explanation...oranges are a water-based fruit. Easy enough. Highly absorbant.

Throughout the day, my goal is to consume about 1200 calories, and required fat, sugar, carbs, iron, etc. I'm not going to say what that is because everyone is different and I don't want someone thinking he/she can eat the large amount of fat I'm supposed to eat and still lose. My body has gone a step too far and I am underweight attempting to gain about 10 - 15 lbs. So, here is just a glimpse of what I might have on a given day when I'm not really "trying"....

1/2 c oatmeal
a piece of block cheese like havarti, swiss, sharp cheddar, gouda, etc.
I prepare my shake for morning consumption, adding the fiber to it and one of the oz of potassium. I generally can drink about 3 oz, then I put it in the refrigerator and when I'm hungry will take a few more sips.

At this point, forget the meal stuff. I eat all day long, when I want and the quantities I want. Here is where those who have not had the surgery need to truly understand...I followed the program 100%. I did not put a drop of something past my lips unless it was on the schedule. My menu was planned for 16 weeks following surgery. When it said to eat a 1/4 c of oatmeal, I did indeed eat it. Sometimes it took me an hour, but I got it in. If it said to puree broccoli, I dang well pureed it and enjoyed it. My menu said low low sugar, I just gave it up. I no longer drank milk...it was never on the menu. When I could drink it again, I could not tolerate it so did not drink it at all. To me now, it is just gross. So eating and drinking whatever I want means no chips, no snack crackers, no diet sodas, no carbonation at all, sure as heck no alcohol, very little candy...a piece here and there (the sugar makes me ill),

I munch all day on fresh fruit (preferring oranges, applies, kiwi, avocados, peaches, pears, watermelon, grapes and blueberries); I eat 4% cottage cheese and throughout the day as I pass the fridge will pull out a container and have a bite or two and put it back. I make fresh bread and can actually eat it. No preservatives. No canned garbage. I don't tolerate preservatives. I love salads but find a dump when I eat too much lettuce. I can not tolerate iceberg (which isn't a true lettuce anyway). The greener the better. I will slice up a tomatoe and munch on it throughout the day, along with cucumbers, onions and the like. I love to combine the 3 (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions - all cut in small chunks - adding oil/vinegar or the salad oil which right now I can't remember what it is. But I love it. It's Asian.

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE beef. Love steak. Love pot roast. My surgeon says it's partially because I am anemic. I crave iron. I love chicken of all kinds. I love turkey. I love fishhhhhhhhhhhh. Fresh tuna. Again, I don't eat canned anything, so it's all fresh. I buy from a butcher when I can. I don't like processed anything. Believe it or not, your taste buds will be able to detect the fake stuff in foods.

I have no problems consuming the water anymore. I have a pitcher of icey cold water in the refrigerator that I drink out of all day. By evening I have consumed it all and am into extra water. I love it.

I hope this gives you an idea about what I eat. As I said, it's really not a "diet"...it's just the way I have to eat now.

Be safe, all.

i am on week 9 of my RNY and i cant tolerate fake foods at all.. has to be fresh.. i still cant not erat rice but i am ok with tha one day i will be able to eat california rolls again.. i loved salads before i had surgery but only can have dark green and only a few i hope that comes back .
for me i tried to eat too soon and so i am still drinking 2 protine shakes a day .. and mabey a yogurt .. and my water intake has gotten to about 30 oz a day .. with lots of ice.

Hi Shawn, Welcome, congratulations on your weight loss. Dark greens are much better for us than iceberg lettus and for some reason our pouches are able to digest them easier, I am able to handle rice and have been since month 6 but I have had nothing but dumping when it comes to pasta, that's ok though. I can eat California rolls but can only handle about two slices out of the whole roll, I stopped buying them because they dont keep well and I don't have anyone to share them with, yet:rolleyes: I never really liked fake foods but in a pinch beans are about the only thing I buy in a can, I used to buy the canned tomatoe sause but since I cant have pasta no need for that stuff now. Try and get a little more fluids and don't forget your protien shakes count toward the liquid intake so you may be getting mor ethan 30 ozs. Let us know how your journey is progressing. :cool: Tom

Ok. I am from Calif and I have no clue what a Calif roll is. Educate me.

Tom is right, Shawn. Most of us can at some point eat rice. I love it but in small portions. Did you know iceburg lettuce is not a true lettuce? It is manmade. One of the fast food joints got the idea to manipulate lettuce.to add as a condiment for a burger...the almighty crunchy texture. I had trouble with it before surgery. Sure as heck can't digest it now. Our pouches don't contain enough acid to break it down. Darker green the better the lettuce. Stay with fresh..your body will love you.

Congrats on the weight loss and welcome to the group.

A California Roll is one of those Sushi rolls you can get at a sushi bar, not to be confused with sushimi (raw fish), but they may contain raw fish, they usally have some kind of sea food and veggies w/avacado wrapped in a seaweed and rice then sliced up, I am sure you have seen them if not tried them before, I had them for the first time about 8 years ago but never really cared for them until about 4 years ago when I tried the california roll, they also give you wasabi and ginger on the side to dip it in. Thanks for the info on iceberg lettus, I will use it for trivia LOL! :cool: Tom

I am almost 4 weeks post op. I have 2 protein shakes a day unflavored, and 1 serving of non fat plain yogart. If I am feeling full from the water I will have some chicken broth. Thats it. I forgot all kinds of supplements which I will have to take for the rest of my life. This I don't get. Since I had the sleeve, there is no issues with not absorbing what I am eating. Any thoughts. Also I am losing weight slowly and some days gaining weight eating the same thing. Kind of frustrating. I am unable to eat anything with artificial sweeters they make me sick.

It never hurts to take vitamin supplaments, my grandparents took them from long as I could remember, they never really had any health problems until their 70's, my grandmother came down withe throat cancer (never smoked ) and my grandfather lived several years longer withe emphasima (smoked until my grandmother got the cancer). I think the doctors have the sleeve patients take vitamins just as a precaution, just a guess though. :cool: Tom

Hi Kim,

You've lost 20 lbs, don't know if those are all post surg. My surg said the average is about 1 lb/day but I'm assuming he was talking about the rny not the sleeve.
When you were in the hospital & they pumped you full of fluids, each bag adds 2.5 lbs to your weight per the surg, too.

I wonder if it's possible that you're not consuming enough calories to lose; there's a point where your body thinks it's starving & goes into combat mode. That's why we need so much protein. Having the protein tells your body to leave the lean muscle mass alone and go to the fat for energy.

You might want to consider contacting the dietician or a nurse & run what you eat daily by them to make sure you're getting enough.

Wish you well, not everyone loses consistently, some it's in spurts.

One more thing my surg mentioned at the 2 wk checkup - don't weigh yourself daily - I was multiple times daily - as your weight can fluctuate between 5-7 lbs (yikes).
He suggested once a week which I am now sticking to doing.

We all wish you all the best, it will come off, you have the tool. Get the protein, water, milk & exercise. You can do this, it's hasn't even been a month quite yet??

I am almost 4 weeks post op. I have 2 protein shakes a day unflavored, and 1 serving of non fat plain yogart. If I am feeling full from the water I will have some chicken broth. Thats it. I forgot all kinds of supplements which I will have to take for the rest of my life. This I don't get. Since I had the sleeve, there is no issues with not absorbing what I am eating. Any thoughts. Also I am losing weight slowly and some days gaining weight eating the same thing. Kind of frustrating. I am unable to eat anything with artificial sweeters they make me sick.

During orientation we were told that people having the sleeve were not required to take supplements since they don't have malabsorbtion, providing they eat a balanced diet. They are still required to get their bood work done to make sure no issues arise.

In fact, out of the 12 people at orientation I was the only person who was having the RNY. 9 were having the sleeve and 2 were having the band.

Pat99 I guess different surgeons different rules. I can understand in the beginning taking the supplements, but I was told I will need to take them for the rest of my life. my bloodwork has come back with numerous vitamin deficiencies despite the fact that I am taking all my supplements. My surgeon is insisting this is pre-op issues, not post op. More supplements have been added. they are nasty, because I have to take them out of the capsule and mix with water. I am hoping things get better.

Hi Kim, there are stores that have suplaments designed for bariatric patients follow the link I have provided- bariatricchoice.com. There are many differnt types of products from liquid to powder or easily desolved pills or something that can be digested quickly, give them a try. They also have many different protien options. :cool: Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Also check out netrition.com They supply all types of supplements and other things but have a dedicated bariatric section. Flat ship rate of $4.99 regardless of order size!!! They carry a full line of sugar free alcohol free flavored syrups made by DaVinci and Torini that you can use to make smoothies and coffee and just about anything you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim M. More supplements have been added. they are nasty said:
I was told the exception to the rule for capsules, is that you can use applesauce or yogurt and not have to mix with water. I couldn't take it either, but I was using drinkable yogurts, but have now switched to an ounce of cottage cheese to mix the capsules in, it's a lot better than mixing with water

How long are you going to have to mix your capsules into food? I never had to crush any of my pills. I take a lot of meds but only 2 are capsules, prilosec and B complex. I just open the prilosec and put the tiny beads of medicine on my tongue and take a couple of sips of water. It's tasteless unless you bite one or leave it on your tongue too long then it's bitter. The B complex stays in its whole form and I just swollow it. The B complex is made for bariatric surgery patients and has a quick disolving capsule and the vitamins inside are powdered so they disolve quickly. Most of the rest of my meds are swollowed whole unless they are larger than a dime, those larger than dime size get broken in half. I take 8 prescription meds some of which are taken multiple times daily (2 are for pain) and the rest are supplements.

I'm not sure this is correct, but I'm planning to have the sleeve, and I think I read that you need the multi-vitamins because you just can't take in enough food to get everything you need from food alone. I've got to get back into the habit of taking my vitamins - never used to get sick (colds, etc.) when I was taking them all the time!

Hi Shawn, Welcome, congratulations on your weight loss. Dark greens are much better for us than iceberg lettus and for some reason our pouches are able to digest them easier, I am able to handle rice and have been since month 6 but I have had nothing but dumping when it comes to pasta, that's ok though. I can eat California rolls but can only handle about two slices out of the whole roll, I stopped buying them because they dont keep well and I don't have anyone to share them with, yet:rolleyes: I never really liked fake foods but in a pinch beans are about the only thing I buy in a can, I used to buy the canned tomatoe sause but since I cant have pasta no need for that stuff now. Try and get a little more fluids and don't forget your protien shakes count toward the liquid intake so you may be getting mor ethan 30 ozs. Let us know how your journey is progressing. :cool: Tom
As long as it doesn't have cucumber, most sushi freezes well. Let thaw overnight in bag with paper towel.

Back