• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day 1 of Liquid Diet

sweettea

Okay today is my 1st day of the Pre-Op liquid diet....so far so good...And its my count down to surgery date of 04/17. I have been really nervous about this whole procedure but am chalking it up as it being normal to feel so.... today is a start of my new lifestyle ..... I have notes posted all over my house to give me the support and motivation I know I will need. If any one has any advice for to make this go smoothly the next 10 days please share. I am so afraid of running out of things that will keep me filled and going.....Help!

Okay today is my 1st day of the Pre-Op liquid diet....so far so good...And its my count down to surgery date of 04/17. I have been really nervous about this whole procedure but am chalking it up as it being normal to feel so.... today is a start of my new lifestyle ..... I have notes posted all over my house to give me the support and motivation I know I will need. If any one has any advice for to make this go smoothly the next 10 days please share. I am so afraid of running out of things that will keep me filled and going.....Help!

Hi Sweettea! The liquid diet before surgery is the hardest part in my opinion because your tummy isn't shrunk yet. You will get through it. Just know once your tummy is tiny everything gets much easier!!! You will feel full with just a tiny amount of liquid and food.

Cheyenne. :)

This is also the time to start drinking water, lots of water between shakes... Practice sipping and get a control on gulping.

Get a nice water bottle and keep it filled and at you side in reach from here on out...

You will do awesome!!!!!!

8 Days and a wake up. :)

That is so awesome. Congrats on your surgery date. You will do great on the liquid diet. i wish I would've practiced sipping water during my liver shrinking diet. I find myself gulping water sometimes and let me tell you it is not a good feeling. Keep us posted on your progress you will do great.

TillieS

Tillie, as you know I start my pre-op liquid diet tomorrow...and my surgery is also scheduled for the 17th and like sweettea I am nervous about my success on the liquid diet because my surgeon will cancel you. I want to thank you for the water tip...I just had a case of water delivered to my office yeasterday. Has anyone tried crushed ice with lemon juice? I'm concern about the acid and citrus from the lemons, and is that ok?

Has anyone tried crushed ice with lemon juice? I'm concern about the acid and citrus from the lemons, and is that ok?

I can tell you from my personal experience, in the beginning, cold liquids and ice will make you pouch feel very tight and uncomfortable. I am someone who always had iced beverages, just me.
Right after my RNY I did so much better with room temperature / warm to hot liquids. The heat helped to relax my pouch which made it easier to get my proteins and liquids in... I did use a squeeze of lemon in my hot tea about a week post-op and did not have any issues.

Just recently I am able to handle beverages that have been refrigerated, but no ice yet.

Keep in mind each person is unique and will experience things differently.

Back