• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Deciding on a Surgery

Hello, I am new in this forum, and I am just starting my bariatric surgery journey. I am currently trying to decide which surgery I want to peruse and I was hoping to get other opinions and experiences, as well as what motivated you to make your decision. I think that I will get better result with a gastric bypass, and I like the idea of dumping syndrome to help motivate me to eat healthier, but the limits on medicine and chance of complication are pushing me towards sleeve. How did you all decide what surgery to pursue?

I started wanting sleeve, but after talking to the dietitian and counselor, ultimately decided the RNY bypass was best for me. I was prediabetic, high cholesterol, high liver enzymes, and now all my blood work is great! I’m very happy with my decision to have bypass.

Hello, I am new in this forum, and I am just starting my bariatric surgery journey. I am currently trying to decide which surgery I want to peruse and I was hoping to get other opinions and experiences, as well as what motivated you to make your decision. I think that I will get better result with a gastric bypass, and I like the idea of dumping syndrome to help motivate me to eat healthier, but the limits on medicine and chance of complication are pushing me towards sleeve. How did you all decide what surgery to pursue?
I had RYGB because 14 years ago, the sleeve wasn't offered. I don't know if it even existed. I had an open procedure which was a major surgery. Recovery was difficult but I lost weight fast and massively--60 pounds in 60 days. I continued to lose 15 pounds a month until I hit a long plateau. In 14 months I lost 115 pounds. That was even more than I planned to lose, but I had started hiking and working out.

It was a phenomenal gift and I'd do it again without hesitation. Fortunately, RYGB can now be done laparoscopically, so the recovery is easy and fast.

RYGB is the gold standard but people who have VSG seem happy with it. There are a few other surgeries to choose but these two are most common. I don't know what statistics show about long-term satisfaction, but making the choice between these two, I don't think you can fail. And thanks to laparoscopy, either choice is good.

I'm so glad I did it.

Welcome to the group! I had VSG but to tell you the truth I didn't even ask about RNY and had already made up my mind when I saw the surgeon. I guess I was going for the least invasive. There is more of a chance to lose more weight with the bypass so sometimes I think I should have gone with that, but I knew others that had the sleeve and it sounded good to me. If GERD is an issue for you, then RNY would be better.

You can be successful with either surgery. Both surgeries require a new relationship with food and good choices for life. To be successful with either surgery you will still need to address any stress/emotional/bad habits that might have contributed to your overeating in the past. Neither one is a magic bullet, but both provide the means for your body to release its fat much easier than without weight loss surgery.

My point is, don't get too caught up in deciding which surgery to get. Some people choose VSG because they feel it is a bit safer, simpler, and keeps their digestive tract in-tact. Others choose RNY because it deals with GERD/Acid Reflux better, has a slightly higher "average" weight loss, and as you mentioned, some people see the potential of dumping syndrome as an additional tool.

Both surgeries have risks, but in the grand scheme of things, they are minimal, but unfortunately some people go through a pretty tough time after surgery. However, at the time they chose their surgery, they were choosing what felt right for them, and that's about where it has to be. Although I'm sure there are some exceptions here or there, people who fail, after either surgery, fail for similar reasons.

Neither surgery deals with our coping mechanisms or makes us perfect beings who always make good decisions We still have to take that on, especially after the effects of either surgery start to reduce with time.

I chose VSG because I felt better about keeping my normal food path, BUT if the surgeon would have given me advice to get the RNY that made sense, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I chose the bypass because it is more likely to cure diabetes (it did) and I already have permanent damage from acid reflux so could not risk it getting worse. People tend to lose a bit more with the bypass due to the rerouting of the small intestine, which causes malabsorption of calories However, from first hand experience, I would suggest you don't rely on dumping syndrome to keep you motivated. Many of us do not have dumping syndrome regardless of what we eat. My expectation was I'd only be able to eat very small amounts and would be unable to tolerate fatty, processed or sugary foods. I can eat MUCH more than I thought I'd be able to and the only thing that actually makes me sick is hot fudge. This journey has been far more work that I originally thought it would be. I'm grateful for the tool and honestly, am enjoying putting in the work and making those healthy choices. It is empowering to finally not only be healthy but to know that it wasn't just the surgery .. it's me. So either surgery will work .. just as hard as you do.

I chose the sleeve and my doctor agreed that would be best for me. Surgery was performed laparoscopically and robotically on 1/11/21. Had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and a BMI of 38. I’ve lost 49 pounds, off of my high blood pressure meds and hope to be off my CPAP by the end of the year. In the end, you have to choose the surgery that’s best for you! Good luck & welcome to the group!

I did the sleeve because I wasn't comfortable with re organizing my insides. However, if I had known I was going to end up with the acid reflux I have now I would have done the bypass. The difference in weight loss is minimal and for me wasn't enough to warrant invasive surgery and having to take more pills (I am really anti medication if I dont need it). You can get dumping syndrome even with the sleeve but it should not be used as a method to control eating rather addressing the underlying mental health issues that feed the negative eating patterns.

I went with VSG at the recommendation of my surgeon. This was because I'm young and am otherwise quite healthy (no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no high cholesterol, etc.). I was also happy with this recommendation due to the absence of too much change to my internal system. As many have stated before me, all bariatric surgeries have a high chance of success, depending upon changes you make in your life after surgery, and are less invasive than they used to be. Definitely discuss the pros and cons of each with your surgeon.

Wishing you the best of luck in your weight loss journey.

I also want to add, talk to your surgeon and not other providers. I have come across a lot of professionals these days who have put a notion out there that most surgeries, regardless of type, fail. This is simply not the case if the patient does what they are supposed to following the plan and changing eating habits.

I started my journey in January I have lost 38lbs I talked with the doctor today and because I’m allergic to the diabetic pills and I’m having issues with insulin I have go from 60 units and now down to 10 units we have decided the sleeve would be the best way for me to go I have been keeping track of my eating on my fitness plan it works great and my doctor can see how I’m doing so it looks like I should have my surgery in July I choose this way because it’s less abrasive and it looking like I will be a non diabetic after surgery what’s helping me is I have a 2 year old yellow lab that’s my service dog and we go to the gym and walk and play ball with him and then I go to the pool and exercise why he lays on the deck and watches me he has help me threw this to lose the 38lbs my doctor said the sleeve is the way for me to go. Hope this helps

My surgery is scheduled for June 23rd and I’m having the gastric sleeve done I’ve lost 47lbs already my life has already been changing for the good. This year has been wonderful this has been the easiest for me I’m no long taking anything for my diabetes. I’m so excited about the surgery everything’s on track.

I had bypass and really never considered the sleeve mostly because the surgeon that did my bypass ran the local Center of Excellence for bypass surgery in my area. 1005 happy with my outcome and I will be 1 year post op in 20 days. No complications with my surgery and after 3 months I was no longer taking any prescriptions for high blood pressure, cholesterol, no longer pre diabetic, not using a sleep apnea machine etc. Only regret that I have is that I did not have the surgery sooner. It has been a total life changer.

I also want to add, talk to your surgeon and not other providers. I have come across a lot of professionals these days who have put a notion out there that most surgeries, regardless of type, fail. This is simply not the case if the patient does what they are supposed to following the plan and changing eating habits.
[/QUOTE
So true, Tokash!! I just spend the past hour researching revision surgery because on another site somebody said she wanted the sleeve but was switching to RNY (or bypass?)
because her surgeon told her “70-80% of his sleeve patients come back in a couple years for a revision to bypass.” WHAT???!!!
From what I researched, that is simply NOT true—-other than the lap band patients.
If anybody else has similar stats please share.

Back