• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Decision

Hi I’m new to this I’m in the process of deciding what would be best for me. The sleeve or Band not in a huge hurry to be skinny just want to be healthy. I weigh 213 and I’m 5.2 I’m not looking to be a size 4 any suggestions for me very confused ‍♀

Hi Maryann,

It's such a personal decision. Do you already know which have a group in your area? The group near me is great, they lay out all your options and explain the pros and cons of each. They also have support groups where you can talk to actual folks who have had had different surgeries. I'm sure you'll get feedback from our little group as well. I can't speak to either the band or the sleeve, I had Roux-En-Y. Here is a link to a good website for more information on each surgery type: Bariatric Surgery Procedures | ASMBS

Best of luck to you!!!

Prior to my sleeve surgery I knew of two people who had very disappointing results from their bands. On the other hand there was a group of 7 co-workers who were successfully transformed with sleeves. My doctor personally preferred sleeves and sold me on that. This all depends on your medical profile, your ability to accept permanent non-reversable alterations to your body, and the advice of your doctor. There is plenty of information out there to research your choices. Good Luck!

The band is not the way to go! Sleeve is good as long as you have the mental help before the surgery. I was in a program for a year before I had my surgery. It’s a high change so being prepared is very important
Carla, are you still lurking around? What's new with you? Any words of wisdom for the upcoming surgical members here?

Hi I’m new to this I’m in the process of deciding what would be best for me. The sleeve or Band not in a huge hurry to be skinny just want to be healthy. I weigh 213 and I’m 5.2 I’m not looking to be a size 4 any suggestions for me very confused ‍♀
Mary,
Do you have any co-morbidities? I have Diabetes and my MD suggested the bypass. He says they have better results with bypass and Diabetes. I am also pre-surgery, 5' 1" and 235. I have had the lap band in 2010 and it did not work for me. My insurance stopped covering the Lap band. I am planning on having it removed and the bypass this late fall/ winter.
The band is not the way to go! Sleeve is good as long as you have the mental help before the surgery. I was in a program for a year before I had my surgery. It’s a high change so being prepared is very important
I agree I have had the band now for 9 years and I weigh as much as when they put it on now. I have terrible reflux I didn't have before. My MD doesn't even offer the band anymore because of the poor success rate. I lost 35 pounds.

Carla, What mental mindset is needed to be successful with the surgery? I haven't had my psych eval (in 2 weeks). Someone said to me that you have to fix the problem that made you overeat in the first place to be successful. I was not successful with the band. I plan to have the gastric bypass.

Back