• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

depressed and grossed out

deena212

Hey everyone!

I am 1 month post op and I guess I expected a lot more. I get depressed because I have soooo many pills to take and that I still have a couple of issues. No pain, thank god, but I hurt every time I eat. I try to eat slow, but goodness. How can it take 1/2 hour to eat an egg?

I'm supposed to be on a soft diet, but soups seem to be all that work well.

And, when I get the dumping syndrome, there is tons of green. (I don't throw up) Should I be worried? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Hey everyone!

I am 1 month post op and I guess I expected a lot more. I get depressed because I have soooo many pills to take and that I still have a couple of issues. No pain, thank god, but I hurt every time I eat. I try to eat slow, but goodness. How can it take 1/2 hour to eat an egg?

I'm supposed to be on a soft diet, but soups seem to be all that work well. :)

And, when I get the dumping syndrome, there is tons of green. (I don't throw up) Should I be worried? Has anyone else had this problem?

Deena, I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I would call the surgeon to make sure something isn't wrong. If everything physically is okay then you may just need more time to heal. If you're feeling down, please know we are all here for each other and write any time you need to talk. :) I also take a load of pills plus vitamins and supplements. It was hard for me too in the beginning of my post op. Hard to swallow, hard to keep down and they made me feel so sick. Everything should get better soon. Check with the doctor just to be sure all is okay. Take care.. :)

Cheyenne

Thank you

Deena, I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I would call the surgeon to make sure something isn't wrong. If everything physically is okay then you may just need more time to heal. If you're feeling down, please know we are all here for each other and write any time you need to talk. :) I also take a load of pills plus vitamins and supplements. It was hard for me too in the beginning of my post op. Hard to swallow, hard to keep down and they made me feel so sick. Everything should get better soon. Check with the doctor just to be sure all is okay. Take care.. :)

Cheyenne

Thanks for your support. I guess I find it hard to admit that I am not in my 20's anymore. One month post op is not all that long. I will call the doc tomorrow, but I really think a lot of it was that I haven't been eating. Will switch back to liquid diet and start again. Thanks again!!

You still new to all this Deena, it does get better. It took 11 months before I was off all my pre-surgery meds, now the only thing I take is a daily vitamin supplement. You will get there, just keep your chin up and shout if you need a shoulder or two to lean on, we're here.

Frank

:cool:

You still new to all this Deena, it does get better. It took 11 months before I was off all my pre-surgery meds, now the only thing I take is a daily vitamin supplement. You will get there, just keep your chin up and shout if you need a shoulder or two to lean on, we're here.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks Frank ! you guys are the best!

Isn't it great that it takes 1/2 hour to eat an egg? Imagine all the calories you consumed in the past compared to now. Focus on spring and getting healthier every day. It will happen.

I remember it took a good 8-10 months to get in ALL of that protein and water! and yes, the pills were horrific! just know that it becomes easier with time and patience. I'm 6 years out and all I take now is my vitamin supplements. You're doing GREAT!! keep up the good work!

Hey everyone!

I'm supposed to be on a soft diet, but soups seem to be all that work well.

Lots of good advice here. Yes, visit your surgeon and his team. They should be able to help you. Perhaps, you have to move more slowly through the phases of liquid to full liquid to puree to soft foods.

Yes you have to eat slowly; very slowly. I take a few bites and stop. Then I let the burps out before I begin again. Make sure you aren't trapping gas in your stomach. I have grown more comfortable by letting the burps out after a few bites. We are babies again. Got to get the air out even as we are consuming a small soft meal such as a soft/hard/poached egg.

The pills I spread them over the day. I have juices and milk also. Whenever I have a juice or milk I will take a pill. Eventually I work through them.

I am two months out now. I am off a lot of my former Rx's already so the pill count has come down considerably.

Ralph

Update:

I found out I am not experiencing "dumping" and have done a ton of tests this week. I have stopped drinking milk, which helped a big. Hoping to have the results soon and that they find something easy to correct.

I think the green was from my remnant stomach as I didn't eat for over a day. Anyway, feeling a little better, that's to your advice and help. Thanks

Will let you know what they find out.

Update:

I found out I am not experiencing "dumping" and have done a ton of tests this week. I have stopped drinking milk, which helped a big. Hoping to have the results soon and that they find something easy to correct.

I think the green was from my remnant stomach as I didn't eat for over a day. Anyway, feeling a little better, that's to your advice and help. Thanks

Will let you know what they find out.

Great they you did go back to your surgeon.

You may have become lactose intolerant. That was a potential issue I thought I might have. However, it turned out OK.

Good that you are figuring out what is wrong and how to correct it.

I had alot of issues with taking all my vitamins and supplements because i couldnt find any that met the requirements and i could tolerate the taste, etc. My mother in law who is 6yrs post op RNY, told me about the multivitamin she found that met the requirements from our surgeon (i had the same one) --VitaFusions Gummy Multivitamin --they also make calcium gummies too---i now take all of my supplements every day--they are my version of candy i am ALLOWED to eat everyday and dont mind actually taking!! I get them from costco --large bottles for a great price! Good luck!!

I had alot of issues with taking all my vitamins and supplements because i couldnt find any that met the requirements and i could tolerate the taste, etc. My mother in law who is 6yrs post op RNY, told me about the multivitamin she found that met the requirements from our surgeon (i had the same one) --VitaFusions Gummy Multivitamin --they also make calcium gummies too---i now take all of my supplements every day--they are my version of candy i am ALLOWED to eat everyday and dont mind actually taking!! I get them from costco --large bottles for a great price! Good luck!!

I've never missed my vitamins or supplements since the surgery, not even once because the surgeon stressed how important it was to take them every day. However I'll be the first to admit that swallowing 2 huge Centrum is not fun and right after surgery I took Flintstones chewable and they did not taste too good. A lot of the gummy vitamins don't meet my surgeons requirement but if you have found one that does, I'll be the first to forget these Centrum horsepills and go get me some VitaFusions at Costco!!! Thanks for the info. :)

Cheyenne

The bariatric foods are nasty and I would like some recipes for healthy foods that I can tolerate. I still cannot eat meat but can get most soft vegetables in. I have been making homemade soups. Any suggestions?

The bariatric foods are nasty and I would like some recipes for healthy foods that I can tolerate. I still cannot eat meat but can get most soft vegetables in. I have been making homemade soups. Any suggestions?

You should be able to eat fish now and chicken too. Don't think that spicy food will upset your tummy, it didn't mine and I haven't heard about that being a problem. Highly acidic foods will irritate the tender tummy. You might try Wendy's chili it is high in protein and fiber I have a small chili at least once a week.

You should be able to eat regular food now so you'll just have to experiment with the foods you like. You might look at some of StinkerBells recipes from past posts she's an excellent cook.

Back