• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Depressed Please Help

I'm not losing weight and I don't know why... I struggle everyday to get my fluids in and protein that is even harder unless i do a shake.. Almost a month post op and i have only lost about 5 pounds I don't know what I am doing wrong... I walk instead of drive most places and I work out with some exercise bands so what else can I do... Please anyone have experienced this... any suggestions.. I go back to the dr on the first but I am getting more and more depressed and discouraged. Please Help:(

Are your feet and ankles puffy? Maybe you are retaining water weight. When I went home from the hospital after receiving fluids and blood, and my appitite wasnt that great with the liquid diet, I actually weighed 17 pounds more than when I checked in for the bypass. Because I had Lasix water pills at home that my cardiologist gave me previously, I shed the 17 pounds of fluid along with losing another 20 pounds of fat by my 3 wk check up. You may not have this at all but it could be a possibility. Push on your ankles to see if it leaves indentation marks. If so you need to see your doctor.
Another thing I have heard of is the body sometimes replaces fat with muscle when first dieting and muscle weighs more.
Dont get discouraged. The weight has to come off eventually.

I think, in general, people lose more slowly with the sleeve than with bypass. This site is full of people who felt just like you, then a year later were down 100 pounds or more. Don't get discouraged, it will happen if you continue to follow the plan. And don't weigh yourself frequently. The scale has a funny way of bouncing around for no apparent reason. I weigh on the same scale on the 1st and 15th of the month. It's much less stressful.

Strange Weight Loss Pattern?

You could be like me and have unusual weight loss cycles. I lose 5-6 pounds every two weeks. I will literally go 2 weeks with the scale not moving at all than suddenly BOOM I lose 5 or 6 pounds overnight. I don't "get it" but I will take it. ;)

I thought I was the only one with a "trick" scale. It will not move for 4-5 days and then wam! down 3-4 pounds. And I am not convinced that all the scales at the doctor's office are the same. I've been weighed on three different scales and then try to compare to my home scale (which is the highest). I keep telling myself to put the scale in the trunk of my car to keep me from getting on it.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust your home scale too much. At the doctors office they at least spend more money on a scale, so it may be more accurate. there is a lot of variation between scales, and even in the same scale at different times in the day.
I have one home scale that I use as a door stop. Seriously. I can shift my foot and gain or lose 30 pounds!

The dieticians at the hospital told me to get your most accurate weight weigh yourself post pee and naked in the morning. They also said to not worry about Dr.'s scales compared to yours because you will never get the same weight. As long as you weigh yourself on the same scale and at the same time daily(first thing in the morning) you are good to go. Throughout the day you gain what they call food weight and it takes you going to bed to balance it back out.

Back