• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Depression AFTER VSG

Hello everyone, I had my sleeve done 2/20/24, so almost a month ago. I have been finding myself depressed, apathetic and with ZERO sex drive.

I already take antidepressants and have been on them for years. Feel very in a funk. Did anyone experience this? How long did it last for you?

Thanks!
Depression is a common response to ANY surgery. It takes a while for the body to adjust to the new way your body circulates blood, dispenses
oxygen, exhales carbon dioxide, and the entire organ system adjusts to loss of tissue or organs.

I say just let yourself feel these feelings. Cry, watch sad movies, study the grieving process and be so, so, so kind to yourself. Anytime you feel the word "should" pop up in your subconscious, drive it out with an affirmation. Please search this site for affirmations and write down a dozen or so to repeat to your brain. It's a curious thing, but true: even if you don't believe something good about yourself, your brain will take it in and use it. The more good thoughts you give your brain, the more often you repeat good thoughts, the more your brain will make them your dominant thought pattern.

Here's a link to an old post of mine where I talk about my affirmations, and a book I fervently recommend:

1710727871820.jpeg

You're going to be fine. In fact, you're fine already.

1710727638765.jpeg

Well a month out, you're still healing. You're probably also still not eating solid foods or quite enough. For me, eating was an emotional coping mechanism. So, learning other, healthier, way to deal took some time. Certainly more than 1 month.

Also, losing weight this quickly throws all of your hormones out of whack. Which have SO much to do with how you feel both physically, emotionally and sexually. See if they'll order some bloodwork. So, it may not even be an emotional issue at all.

Hello everyone, I had my sleeve done 2/20/24, so almost a month ago. I have been finding myself depressed, apathetic and with ZERO sex drive.

I already take antidepressants and have been on them for years. Feel very in a funk. Did anyone experience this? How long did it last for you?

Thanks!
When I was going through my pre-surgery classes, one thing they mentioned was that the surgery can mess with your hormones. Maybe this is what is affecting your sex drive?

have been reading medical journals (healthcare background) and learning it is not uncommon to experience depression after weight loss surgery.

Currently, I am searching for a therapist with a background treating Bariatric patients.

I hope this is helpful. I think what you are experiencing is not abnormal for some people.

Back