• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

depression, listless

I d.Ton't have the energy to do anything. i am nauseated much of the time and i have to fight to drink even my water, much less the protein The day postsurgical i literally wanted to die and thought that i was going to die. I even asked a nurse to just let me die. it's better now but i am not feeling well. i have really crabby days and days when i can't get out of bed. I hope I become human again sometime soon.

Janet-other members here have said that you absolutely must drink water after the surgery. They suggest to keep water with you at all times and to take SMALL SIPS every 5 minutes or so. Nausea is a sign of dehydration. I'm thinking if you sip some water your nausea should stop in a short while. If the nausea continues you need to let your surgeon know right away. You can also drink sugar free caffiene free beverages like crystal light or a generic brand. Maybe the fluids will go down easier if they have a taste you really like. You can also try drinking some bouillion if you like that sort of thing.

Was your RNY surgery done laproscopically or open?

afew suggestions/drink water with ice and sip slowly,use some liquid protein like ensure over ice chips/. If you don't feel like getting out of bed sit in and easy chair. It is not unusual to have mood swings with a surgery like this. If you need something for the nausea your dr. should be able to prescribe something. When I had my surgery in 2003 nausea was a big problem and I tried the suggestions I have given you. I promise you will feel better after the first month. think of this did wedrink a half a gallon water a day before the surgery? write me any time patti

Thanks for the encouragement. I am feeling much better and don't have to go back to the dr. for 3 months. I'm now eating and drinking much better. I did have a dumping episode tonight because I forgot and put a dollop of whipped cream on some high protein hot chocolate (I got the cocoa from the dr). My body did not like whipped cream (even though I love the taste). I'm now having nausea only once or twice a week as opposed to daily. And I sip all the time. I still have some depression and my Pcp wants to adjust my anti-depressive (I've been on it for years). The ice was a great suggestion. Also, I now have a bottle of zofran, which is great for nausea. Thanks again. I love this site.

Oh Pat! What a great idea! I totally forgot I drank chicken and beef broth. It filled me, I got needed sodium, and some vitamins and it was so easy on the pouch.

I am so happy you are feeling better, Janet. I still have episodes of nausea. I can't have whipped cream and I don't recommend it. After the surgery, we seem to be very sensitive to carbs, dairy, etc. I am told the ability to eat and drink them returns but that also brings about some weight gain. If I have bread, toast is best, and it has to be light light light. Heavy, grainy breads really upset me and I have to lay down. No fun.

I think we all go through the depression at various times. I mean, think about it, your body was just totally changed inside. What it thought it knew is now gone and it has no clue why. It will now try to heal as best it can and adapt to what you give it.

You sound like you are doing great. You've lost 35 lbs. woo hoooooo! What a wonderful Christmas gift!

Please keep us up on how you are doing.

Letrell

since having the rny, I can not tolerate dairy. if I have it, my pouch hurts sooooooo bad. for me, it's not worth the pain.

Back