• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Desperate for info!!

Hello friends! I have been looking for an answer to a question that NO ONE has either been able to answer, or sites where I have written and asked the question, I never got answers. (and most of these sites were run by bariatric professionals!) And since I'm 20 months post-op, my dietitian that I worked with for my 1st year, said I need to make an appt.!!!! No one cares anymore. But I digress. I have lost 135 lbs. in these 20 months, so of course I am very pleased. However, some old nasty habits are creeping their way into my mind (and sometimes stomach) that are really scaring me. I think a major problem for me is not having a true guideline to follow about how many carbs. and sugars I can have per day. Just from some of my own google searching, I have found the carb. amounts to be a VERY wide range.....anywhere from 50 per day, up to 150 per day. The sugar numbers I have found are SUPER depressing. I have usually read it's about FIFTEEN grams PER DAY!!!! That sounds almost impossible to me. I am praying that someone on here knows their stuff, maybe a professional or just someone who knows the answer cause they've been there. I would be eternally grateful!!
Sincerely,
Cassie H.

Wish I could give you a positive answer... The Dietitian should know. each Doc seems to be different on these things. I see my doc soon will be happy to ask and get back to you.... Hopefully someone else on here will be able to help also... I will get back to you asap... Stay positive

I use the "lose it" app. In the app it ask what your goals are and what kind of diet you would like to try to achieve them. It also give suggestions and helps keep track of your numbers. I love the recipes that match your individual goals. I have found from many health care professionals that there isn't one diet that works for everyone. Most doctors are over weight. If it was that easy then they would be able to be a healthy weight. You have, I think the best tool to stay slim is your surgery. Yes, you can get away with a couple of bad foods as long as you don't take a lot of bites of that bad food. Try to find a bariatric support group in your area. Meeting face to face with people that have been in your shoes is so important and it should be free. Also, there are many people hear that can help.

Wish I could give you a positive answer... The Dietitian should know. each Doc seems to be different on these things. I see my doc soon will be happy to ask and get back to you.... Hopefully someone else on here will be able to help also... I will get back to you asap... Stay positive

Keith, you have no idea how much I would appreciate your asking your doctor about this information. It's nice to know there are people out there who will go an extra step for someone in need. I hope to hear from you again. In the meantime, stay well and I wish you well on your journey!
Thanks again,
Cassie

I use the "lose it" app. In the app it ask what your goals are and what kind of diet you would like to try to achieve them. It also give suggestions and helps keep track of your numbers. I love the recipes that match your individual goals. I have found from many health care professionals that there isn't one diet that works for everyone. Most doctors are over weight. If it was that easy then they would be able to be a healthy weight. You have, I think the best tool to stay slim is your surgery. Yes, you can get away with a couple of bad foods as long as you don't take a lot of bites of that bad food. Try to find a bariatric support group in your area. Meeting face to face with people that have been in your shoes is so important and it should be free. Also, there are many people hear that can help.

Anna, very much appreciate your reply. I am hoping for an answer soon. Who would have thought the hardest struggle would be 20 months (today) post-op?? I will give that app a try. Thank you for caring enough to write. It means a lot. Take care and hoping you're doing well on your journey!

Keith, you have no idea how much I would appreciate your asking your doctor about this information. It's nice to know there are people out there who will go an extra step for someone in need. I hope to hear from you again. In the meantime, stay well and I wish you well on your journey!
Thanks again,
Cassie
I go see my doc on friday so hopefully I can get back to you after....

Keith, again I have to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time and thought to ask your Doctor about this for me. Not many people out there would do this, even though we are all in this together!! Hoping very much to hear from you!! If we don't speak before then, I wish you a very Happy Valentine's Day!! :):)

Keith, again I have to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time and thought to ask your Doctor about this for me. Not many people out there would do this, even though we are all in this together!! Hoping very much to hear from you!! If we don't speak before then, I wish you a very Happy Valentine's Day!! :):)
Hello I have spoke with my doc and nutritionist the gave some estimated to try to stick with such as Stay at 15g carbs per meal, 30g of protien per serving and <3g of fat per serving.. And stay away from simple sugars, like cake, cookies, no real set amount just to avoid sugars.. Can have sweet n low equal, Splenda and fake ssweetner, can be tolerated better then Regular sugars.... I had the bypass FEB 14th so You having the sleeve done your tolerances could be higher..... I hope this helps, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.....

Hello I have spoke with my doc and nutritionist the gave some estimated to try to stick with such as Stay at 15g carbs per meal, 30g of protien per serving and <3g of fat per serving.. And stay away from simple sugars, like cake, cookies, no real set amount just to avoid sugars.. Can have sweet n low equal, Splenda and fake ssweetner, can be tolerated better then Regular sugars.... I had the bypass FEB 14th so You having the sleeve done your tolerances could be higher..... I hope this helps, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.....

Hi Keith, I thank you so much for writing back to me with that information. It's more than I've gotten anywhere else! I hope you're coming along nicely with your surgery recovery and are feeling well. Take it easy and I wish you all the best in your journey. Again, thanks for writing back.
Cassie

Back