• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Dessert - Flourless Chocolate Cake

Qaterra

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

5 egg whites
3-1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tbs unsweetened, Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 c ground almonds, or almond flour (or be bold and try coconut flour!)
1/2 c granulated sugar substitute
pinch salt

1/2 c sour cream (full fat makes a better cake; there's so little per piece, go for the gusto!)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (use the good stuff, not artificial)
OPTIONAL 1 tbs whiskey (the alcohol bakes out; it serves as a flavor enhancer for the chocolate)

cooking spray
2 tbs powdered sugar (for dusting)
few tbs raspberries or strawberries or mixed berries, your choice

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Lightly coat 9-inch springform pan w/cooking spray.
3. Beat egg whites with mixer on high until stiff, glossy peaks form.
4. Melt bittersweat chocolate on stovetop in double boiler, or in microwave (careful!).
5. Put chocolate, cocoa, almonds, sugar substitute, salt, sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract, and whiskey into mixing bowl. Fold in egg whites with spatula.
6. Spoon batter into prepared springform pan; gently smooth top. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn off oven. Leave in oven with door closed for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool cake slightly.
7. Loosen edges of springform pan and remove cake. Cake will deflate.
8. Slice, dust individual slices lightly w/powdered sugar. Serve warm w/berries.

This nutritional value is an approximation only AND is for 1/8 of the cake. You will more than likely be eating only around 1/12 of the cake, if that. However, I have erred on the side of caution to be safe.

Cal: around 175
Carb: under 15g
Fiber: 2g
Sat Fat: under 5g
Sugar: negligible
Protein: under 7g

Last edited:
Looks great, but my husband and I could never have it. He is on Heart Healthy due to his Stent and I am diabetic. Even after the surgery it would be a No-no especially due to the sugar.

Carol

Looks great, but my husband and I could never have it. He is on Heart Healthy due to his Stent and I am diabetic. Even after the surgery it would be a No-no especially due to the sugar.

Hey, Carol,

Thanks for the feedback but I don't understand. What is it about this recipe that makes it unfriendly to a "Heart Healthy" diet? I am familiar with the Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy diet, as well as some others. And what sugar is it you're concerned about? As a diabetic, I am always on the lookout for sugar content in a recipe. Also, I am well aware that the audience here is primarily wls patients. What would make this recipe a no-no for a wls patient?

Although few recipes are likely to be perfect for everyone, I don't want to offer any that are completely inappropriate.

Thanks for your help.

Qattera, I am on your side with this one. The only sugar that I see is that sprinkled on the top which is mostly just for decoration, which could be avoided. Another thing that I will often do is put granulated instant coffee in these kind of recipes. mmm, delish!
KarenLB

Another thing that I will often do is put granulated instant coffee in these kind of recipes. mmm, delish!

Thanks, Karen. And you are so right about the coffee! Coffee is another outstanding flavor enhancer. Like whiskey, salt, lemon and other things used for flavor enhancement, you need not even add enough to consciously taste. There's just something about the bonding of it with the other ingredients that perks up everything. Use it with lots of things, including chocolate, peanut butter, oranges, bananas, even chicken. And the list goes on.

Do you like to cook? Or to bake? I wonder if there's enough interest to put together a cooking forum. I know I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are nutrient dense, low sugar, "do-able" in small serving sizes, etc. I know there are wls-specific cookbooks available but I've not yet checked out any of them. Maybe it's time for me to do that. Also time to check out some of the recipes posted at variious wls sites. I mean, after all, as much fun as it is to experiment, there's no need to reinvent the wheel!

Sounds yummy! It's great to have other delicious food options to try out and enjoy! I'll have to prepare this for myself for Thanksgiving! Thanks for the wonderful information. I'll give it a try!

Linney

Hello. I am new to the site and would love a cooking forum. I get most of my protein from shakes and shots and so want to try other things. I have trouble finding things that are really low carbs.

Hello. I am new to the site and would love a cooking forum. I get most of my protein from shakes and shots and so want to try other things. I have trouble finding things that are really low carbs.

Welcome to the Forum! And Congratulations on the great use you're making of your tool on your weight loss journey!!!

For low carb, just take a look around the Internet. There are literally thousands of recipes out there for low carb. And a bunch of good cookbooks.

Rny and other surgical patients with stomas must also watch fat intake, which is where low carb can get tricky. And there are a number of sleeve-dedicated sites around, some of which also post recipes. If you find anything exciting, please share!

I hope you enjoy it here. There are lots of friendly people, much support available. If you have questions, complaints, or just plain rants . . . bring 'em on! lol

This thread is a cooking forum. Just post all bariatric friendly recipes here. If everyone posted one recipe every other month we would have quite a collection.

Back