• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diabetes getting worse?

Jen72

I have been diabetic for 20 years. before surgery I was on 1000mg of metformin per day, 30units
+ a correction factor of novolog per meal and 75 units of lantus at bedtime.After surgery the endocrinologist lowered all this to just 8 units of novolog per meal no more metormin, and 25 lantus at bedtime. After surgery my bs #'s were going down to 100's for about two weeks , but now my numbers are going back up to 160's what the heck its not like im eating more? I thought my diabetes was suposed to disapear. I am disapointed, I take too many pills and injections and just wanted some relief.:(

I to have been a type two diabetic for over twenty years. Since surgery my medication has gone down to about a third of before surgery my doctor said I would be able to discontinue all my diabetic medication, I told him he was wrong. My panaceas had been test seven years earlier and it was no longer producing insulin. Sure enough I still need insulin but I take a good deal less. They have made adjustments in my medication such as metaformin and it does have an effect on the amount of insulin I use. I test my BS's constantly during the day and adjust my insulin accordingly. Your doctors are trying to dial in your medications and I hope you are being a squeaky wheel because they need your feedback to help them and you need to be very active in your own health care. You should be testing several times a day and be communicating that information to you healthcare providers.

Cheers

I had the same thing happen to me. My sugars went down to normal for about 2 weeks I stopped my Humalog and Lantus. The #'s started going up again. The dr added back 18 units Lantus and now the #'s are back to high/normal. He said they have discovered a condition called 1.5 diabetes. It's a mixture of Type 1 and Type 2. My RNY took care of the Type 2 but has no affect on Type 1, BUMMER. But it IS nice to be on only one insulin and then a fraction of it. My Metformin is cut in half now also. I had RNY on 1/28/13 and have lost 63 lbs. so I am still very happy.

I had my surgery 5 days ago, main point to get rid of the diabetes. Much of the really bad effects was starting to happen, seemed like the thing to do. woke up this morning, bs 205. Has not been that high in the morning in years. I am hoping the big weight loss will take care of it. I guess I will know later then sooner. Going to start the treadmill soon, should help. Not gonna get me down. NOT after all this. God is in control, not me. Everyone take care.

Hang in there. Keep doing what your docs are tell you. 95% of diabetics have improvement. You are not finished yet.

Hi bluecruiser,

I have Type 2 diabetes and was on Prandin 3X a day, 1000 metformin 2X day, Actos 15 once a day, and and a Byetta injection twice a day. When I was in the hospital after surgery, I was surprised that they gave me insulin because I had never had it before. They said the stress of the surgery on my body caused the blood sugars to be high. My blood sugars were kind of up and down for a while, but now that I'm down 64 pounds since surgery and only on Metformin 750 once a day, they've been normal for the last few weeks. So, don't be discouraged. The blood sugars will get better. I'm almost 6 months from surgery, so it takes a while. Best wishes on your journey.
Okieatheart.

I enjoyed immediate results from the gastric bypass surgery. In fact, the preop diet being liquid and literally no carbs brought all my sugar numbers down. I have always maintained an A1C in the 5's. However, I needed to use 2000mg metformin ER and up to 90 units a day of Novolog. I am post op now two weeks. I don't need any insulin and I am using metformin ER at 500mg. Again, the diet has carbs but not a whole lot. I am using protein shakes and glucerna. The carbs are in the glucerna.

Also, I haven't finished playing with Metformin ER. Metformin as you all know slows down the generation of glucose from your pancreas/liver. I may continue with Metformin ER for the short term to see if I can get consistent readings of BS under 100. If not, then I will totally abandon Metformin. My average readings now are 110 over the past month. This equates to an A1C roughly of 5.5 or so.

Happy with that especially without meds. I am type 2 diabetic. I should test to see how well my pancreas still generates the "slow insulin".

Ralph

I have been diabetic for 20 years. before surgery I was on 1000mg of metformin per day, 30units
+ a correction factor of novolog per meal and 75 units of lantus at bedtime.After surgery the endocrinologist lowered all this to just 8 units of novolog per meal no more metormin, and 25 lantus at bedtime. After surgery my bs #'s were going down to 100's for about two weeks , but now my numbers are going back up to 160's what the heck its not like im eating more? I thought my diabetes was suposed to disapear. I am disapointed, I take too many pills and injections and just wanted some relief.:(
Jen how's your Diabetes doing now? I hope it's better. Please keep us posted. We care

Well I am almost 8 weeks post op and down 50 pounds.

My type 2 diabetes has been normalized. My average reading is around 110, which should equate to an A1C of about 5.4-5.6. We will see. I am going for blood work tomorrow to see.

Ralph

I'm so happy to say that I haven't needed any Metformin since my surgery. This Monday will be the 4th week since my surgery. My PCP said that I probably won't need my Diabetes or my Cholesterol medicine again. I am so happy. This is exactly what I wanted. I've lost 35# too. Happy Me.

Cholesterol meds and heart disease

I'm so happy to say that I haven't needed any Metformin since my surgery. This Monday will be the 4th week since my surgery. My PCP said that I probably won't need my Diabetes or my Cholesterol medicine again. I am so happy. This is exactly what I wanted. I've lost 35# too. Happy Me.

Right now, I am still taking 1000mg metformin er in the evening.

I do notice that it perhaps help knock the numbers down about 5 points or so. Is it worth it? This is a discussion I will be having with my primary care doctor this week.

As to cholesterol meds, I will be going for my VAP cholesterol test. For those of you that don't know what this is visit this link here >>> http://www.atherotech.com/vapcholtest/

Essentially, it is a more detailed and considerably more accurate test than the basic lipid tests that have been happening for many years.

It measures in detail the components of your HDL and LDL. For years the Doctors told me I had great cholesterol numbers. My total cholesterol never went over 190 or so and my HDL was around 50. Well, about 7 years ago I finally went for a baseline cardiac catscan, which takes a 3d picture of your heart. This is when I found out that my arteries were about 40% blocked; no immediate threat. Nevertheless, they had blockages.

Furthermore, I went for my first VAP test back then. Well those good numbers I had weren't so good. My HDL was made up of the useless fluffy variety and not the "scrubbers" as they were called; the component that kept your arteries clear and my LDL was mostly the small dense sticky stuff the kind that creates the blockages.

So, working with my cardiologist I and primary care doctor I started a regimen of low dose Lipitor (20mg) and worked my way up to 2000mg of Slo-Niacin. My HDL went up to the high 50s and now had the good scrubber component in it and my LDL went from the sticky stuff to the harmless "fluffly" component. In terms of VAP test I went from Pattern B (not good) to Pattern A (excellent). My overall cholesterol numbers dropped to around 110 to 120.

Furthermore, Lipitor is know to help fight inflammation, which is the real culprit in heart disease.

Now, since my surgery I have been off of slo-niacin. So, I am very interested in seeing if my pattern has moved back to the bad pattern B. I am about to resume taking my slo-niacin. I need to dial it in. I have to find out if I need the full 2000mg dose or whether or not I can cut it back to a lower dose such as 1000mg.

I am probably going for another cardiac catscan this year to see if my blockages have not increased or perhaps even shrunk.

Right now, I am still taking 1000mg metformin er in the evening.

I do notice that it perhaps help knock the numbers down about 5 points or so. Is it worth it? This is a discussion I will be having with my primary care doctor this week.

As to cholesterol meds, I will be going for my VAP cholesterol test. For those of you that don't know what this is visit this link here >>> http://www.atherotech.com/vapcholtest/

Essentially, it is a more detailed and considerably more accurate test than the basic lipid tests that have been happening for many years.

It measures in detail the components of your HDL and LDL. For years the Doctors told me I had great cholesterol numbers. My total cholesterol never went over 190 or so and my HDL was around 50. Well, about 7 years ago I finally went for a baseline cardiac catscan, which takes a 3d picture of your heart. This is when I found out that my arteries were about 40% blocked; no immediate threat. Nevertheless, they had blockages.

Furthermore, I went for my first VAP test back then. Well those good numbers I had weren't so good. My HDL was made up of the useless fluffy variety and not the "scrubbers" as they were called; the component that kept your arteries clear and my LDL was mostly the small dense sticky stuff the kind that creates the blockages.

So, working with my cardiologist I and primary care doctor I started a regimen of low dose Lipitor (20mg) and worked my way up to 2000mg of Slo-Niacin. My HDL went up to the high 50s and now had the good scrubber component in it and my LDL went from the sticky stuff to the harmless "fluffly" component. In terms of VAP test I went from Pattern B (not good) to Pattern A (excellent). My overall cholesterol numbers dropped to around 110 to 120.

Furthermore, Lipitor is know to help fight inflammation, which is the real culprit in heart disease.

Now, since my surgery I have been off of slo-niacin. So, I am very interested in seeing if my pattern has moved back to the bad pattern B. I am about to resume taking my slo-niacin. I need to dial it in. I have to find out if I need the full 2000mg dose or whether or not I can cut it back to a lower dose such as 1000mg.

I am probably going for another cardiac catscan this year to see if my blockages have not increased or perhaps even shrunk.

This is very interesting. My surgeon discontinued my cholesterol med (Lipitor) after my surgery. When I met with my PCP per my surgeons instructions 2 weeks after my surgery, my PCP said to discontinue my cholesterol meds based on my blood tests 5 days post surgery. I will have a more comprehensive fasting blood test done the end of January (13 vials). I'm going to ask my PCP about getting the VAP Cholesterol test. I like that it's not a fasting blood test, course that's my old brain talking, my new baby belly has no problem fasting. ;-).
Thanks for the info.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! HAPPY NEW YOU TOO!!

Ralph how do you calculate A1c?

Jen how's your Diabetes doing now? I hope it's better. Please keep us posted. We care

I enjoyed immediate results from the gastric bypass surgery. In fact, the preop diet being liquid and literally no carbs brought all my sugar numbers down. I have always maintained an A1C in the 5's. However, I needed to use 2000mg metformin ER and up to 90 units a day of Novolog. I am post op now two weeks. I don't need any insulin and I am using metformin ER at 500mg. Again, the diet has carbs but not a whole lot. I am using protein shakes and glucerna. The carbs are in the glucerna.

Also, I haven't finished playing with Metformin ER. Metformin as you all know slows down the generation of glucose from your pancreas/liver. I may continue with Metformin ER for the short term to see if I can get consistent readings of BS under 100. If not, then I will totally abandon Metformin. My average readings now are 110 over the past month. This equates to an A1C roughly of 5.5 or so.

Happy with that especially without meds. I am type 2 diabetic. I should test to see how well my pancreas still generates the "slow insulin".

Ralph

What is the equation you use to arrive at your A1c readings? And what test is it that will tell you how well your pancreas generates "slow insulin"? These are things I just don't know the answers to but would very much like to know.

Thanks, kt

What is the equation you use to arrive at your A1c readings? And what test is it that will tell you how well your pancreas generates "slow insulin"? These are things I just don't know the answers to but would very much like to know.

Thanks, kt

Roughly average daily readings around 100 on your blood sugar meter equate long term to an A1C of 5.0. A reading of 120 equates to A1C of 5.4-5.6 and blood sugar readings that average 140 over the long term equates to an A1C of 6.0.

The objective is to keep your A1C in the 5's or lower. A non-diabetic's A1C is below 5.0 with typical readings around 80-85. When they consume carbs their blood sugar will go up to about the 120 aread and then come right back down in less than 2 hours back to the 80-85 range.

A T2 diabetic when they consume carbs will see their readings go up (120, 140 or even higher based on how many carbs they did consume) and then see their blood sugars slowly come down back below 140,120 and back down to wherever they are. They will also experience the dawn phenomenon.

A T1 diabetic must always use insulin both the slow stuff and the fast stuff to regulate their blood sugars. If they consumed carbs their readings simply go up and don't really come down. They need fast insulin to bring it back down since they have NO pancreatic function at all.

A couple of good sites for you to reference are below:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

http://forum.lowcarber.org/

Ralph

Thank you for the info and the links. I took every class that UCDavis' diabetic dept had to offer but these numbers weren't in my notes or binders. My numbers are mostly in the low 90's but now at the 5 week p.op I've added some food and it seems that the new foods like 4 saltines gave me a morning reading of 108, and a small piece 2"x2" of toast gave me a morning reading of 111. I eat only protien cuz I can't stand even the smell of protien shakes,juices etc. possibly I'm thinking whey is what the trigger is but even with the smell I feel like I'm gonna throw up and kinda gag at every sip. It's a conditioned response to the first few weeks when I threw up everything and then later in the day I would spit up (like a baby does with no prior warning) something I drank an hour ago just for the hell-of-it.

Luckily I haven't had that problem for a couple of weeks now. The best way for me to eat is to take a bite and then walk around or fuss around in the kitchen. I eat standing so it's more like grazing than actually sitting down to eat. I'm trying to learn how to slow down and eat slowly, but I get distracted and then gobble. I'm just learning how to eat with this tiny tummy. My calorie intake is averaging about 600 calories and 60 grams of protien. Everything is weighed, measured, and recorded. If I can't figure out the calories, I won't eat it until I can.

I ate a shrimp the other day and got the most incredible body rush. I guess I was hungry or something, but it was a wonderful feeling. Anyway.....

....gosh I haven't been so chatty about myself in a long time. I hope I didn't ramble on and on.
Thanks again for all your help.

Thank you for the info and the links. I took every class that UCDavis' diabetic dept had to offer but these numbers weren't in my notes or binders. My numbers are mostly in the low 90's but now at the 5 week p.op I've added some food and it seems that the new foods like 4 saltines gave me a morning reading of 108, and a small piece 2"x2" of toast gave me a morning reading of 111. I eat only protien cuz I can't stand even the smell of protien shakes,juices etc. possibly I'm thinking whey is what the trigger is but even with the smell I feel like I'm gonna throw up and kinda gag at every sip. It's a conditioned response to the first few weeks when I threw up everything and then later in the day I would spit up (like a baby does with no prior warning) something I drank an hour ago just for the hell-of-it.

Luckily I haven't had that problem for a couple of weeks now. The best way for me to eat is to take a bite and then walk around or fuss around in the kitchen. I eat standing so it's more like grazing than actually sitting down to eat. I'm trying to learn how to slow down and eat slowly, but I get distracted and then gobble. I'm just learning how to eat with this tiny tummy. My calorie intake is averaging about 600 calories and 60 grams of protien. Everything is weighed, measured, and recorded. If I can't figure out the calories, I won't eat it until I can.

I ate a shrimp the other day and got the most incredible body rush. I guess I was hungry or something, but it was a wonderful feeling. Anyway.....

....gosh I haven't been so chatty about myself in a long time. I hope I didn't ramble on and on.
Thanks again for all your help.

Not at all chatty.

Have your tried the Isopure protein drinks. These are clear liquid and they come flavored. I like the grape flavor. Your reading are fantastic. Anything in the 90-140 range is a good reading. You don't want to go over 140 since that is when organ damage can occur. However, when I say damage it has to do with people who are over 140 continuously and do nothing about it. There are people walking around with blood sugars in the 300s and do nothing about it. These are the folks who eventually suffer damage, potential limb losses, blindness, etc. all of it is so unnecessary in this day and age.

Ralph

Gosh thanks Ralph for that. I was starting to worry now you've made my mind rest at ease. I'm thinking I should test more often to find out the foods that raise my bs. I don't mind testing I just tend to get busy and forget. I set the alarm then walk away and realize later that I wasn't around to hear the alarm, I guess I'll just take it with me.

An interesting thing that just started happening to me since Thursday is that I all of a sudden have this great urge to move walk, ride my bike, dance, whatever it's almost compulsive but great, I had perfected the couch potato pose and had to force myself to get up off my booty, now I like to shake it. LOL YIPPEE

I'm 5 weeks out, 43 lbs down since last Wednesday and I just got into my jeans that I haven't been able to wear in 3 years. So I too have a lot to count as great, and believe it I'm not as grumpy as I used to be. We all appreciate that. My son and grand kids live with me they have been very supportive. So I am a very fortunate lady and grateful too.

Not at all chatty.

Have your tried the Isopure protein drinks. These are clear liquid and they come flavored. I like the grape flavor. Your reading are fantastic. Anything in the 90-140 range is a good reading. You don't want to go over 140 since that is when organ damage can occur. However, when I say damage it has to do with people who are over 140 continuously and do nothing about it. There are people walking around with blood sugars in the 300s and do nothing about it. These are the folks who eventually suffer damage, potential limb losses, blindness, etc. all of it is so unnecessary in this day and age.

Ralph

You are the second person to recommend Isopure. I believe I can get this at GNC? I think my Nut recommended this. I'm getting clearer headed, but I'm still a little dingy. My vision is blurry too. I'm not sure why. I haven't had any pain meds in a couple of weeks and even then it was mostly sporadic to control the esophagus pain and vomiting. But when I met with my Nut I was only two weeks out and, well, "out of it but maintaining" as the saying used to go if you know what I mean. I think she said I could buy 1 bottle for about $7 (that's California dollars) to try it and if I liked it it would be about $4 a bottle by the case, is that right, it's pretty pricey stuff? I'm saving so much money just in the food bills alone that the high cost of a protein drink is still a bargain. I'll pick up some tomorrow and let you know. Fingers crossed. Thanks Ralph

No no not expensive at all about 1.85 per bottle

You are the second person to recommend Isopure. I believe I can get this at GNC? I think my Nut recommended this. I'm getting clearer headed, but I'm still a little dingy. My vision is blurry too. I'm not sure why. I haven't had any pain meds in a couple of weeks and even then it was mostly sporadic to control the esophagus pain and vomiting. But when I met with my Nut I was only two weeks out and, well, "out of it but maintaining" as the saying used to go if you know what I mean. I think she said I could buy 1 bottle for about $7 (that's California dollars) to try it and if I liked it it would be about $4 a bottle by the case, is that right, it's pretty pricey stuff? I'm saving so much money just in the food bills alone that the high cost of a protein drink is still a bargain. I'll pick up some tomorrow and let you know. Fingers crossed. Thanks Ralph

Hi,

Not at expensive at all. I order a case from amazon and have it delivered to my door. I have a standing order right now of 2 cases a month or 48 bottles for $$87 or about $1.85 per bottle.

I find that I enjoy it.

Ralph

I am so glad I asked. I'll call GNC tomorrow to find out if the carry it and if not I don't know what mu Nut said to me. That's just it I'm realizing my brain hasn't been running on all four cylinders for awhile since the surgery and I just don't remember a lot of things. But it'll get better as I heal I'm sure, it is improving some. I think exercise will get rid of this sludge brain. Well we are off to ride our bikes before the kids go back to their moms house. They live with us from Sat to Tuesday.

Ttyl, kt

Back