• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diabetic Med-Free

Jules

I am proud to say that as of today I am Diabetic Med free! After leaving the hospital, I was taken off most of my Diabetes Medication...sent home on 1, 1000 mg Metformin tablet...after 2 weeks, I was taken down to 1/2 tablet daily...my blood sugars continue to go down and today, I was taken off all my Meds for Diabetes! Before surgery if my blood sugars went below 100, I didn't feel good, so my "norms" were about 118. Today my blood sugars were 89, and I feel great! The Nurse Practitioner had told me that it may take 3 months, but I'd be med free...when I spoke to her today she advised me to stop the Metformin and was just as excited as I was!!! A little History: I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic in October 2006. Prior to surgery, the meds I took were a shot of Victoza and 2 1000 MG Metformin Daily. My Blood Pressure Med was also reduced to just half a tablet. I will be seeing my Endo at the beginning of September so that he can make further adjustments to my medications. This is very exciting and the reason why I had my gastric bypass!

That's wonerfull news Jules. It's great when we can stop our meds, mine were cholesterol and high BP. :cool: Tom

Ive been a diabetic since 1995 and that is why I want to do the gastric bypass. I could use some input from more people who have had the surgery and if they have truly been taken off all meds. i do insulin only. It would be great to hear from anyone. You can also email me at candyinsb@yahoo.com

That is why I had the surgery Candy...I wanted to get rid of the health issues I had. As of yesterday, I am off of my Blood Pressure Medications as well! Having the Gastric Bypass has worked for me! The NP was as happy as I am, as they had advised me that it might take 3 months...I had my surgery on July 25, 2012. I will see my endocronologist at the begining of September and hopefully will cut down or remove a couple of other Meds I take. I also have a thyroid condition that may also change. I need to see the endo so that he can begin to monitor everything and do a complete blood work up. I also have high cholestrol, so hoping to get rid of that too!

Candy-Welcome to the forum. I was a type 2 diabetic and was taken off of metformin 1 week before surgery. That was almost 6 months ago and so far so good. I had my blood work done 2 weeks ago and will be seeing the surgeon soon to go over the results. I'm hoping to be taken off my cholesterol and BP meds but both are hereditary and it's possible that I will have to continue these. I take some other meds too and time will tell if these can be discontiued.

Even if you are taken off your insulin you will still need to monitor yourself and continue to have your A1C checked and your yearly diabetic eye exam. Your PCP still needs to see the numbers and be proactive with your vision health.

Jules, Pat is right, you may be off of your diabetes medication, but you still need to monitor it closely. I have a friend that had the bypass last year, and her diabetes is back in full force. I check my blood sugar daily and was told if it goes over 150 to take a pill, but I haven't had that problem.

Yes I understand that...I am not sure what to call oneself...sort of like an addict...Once an addict always an addict...once a diabetic always a diabetic??? It will be something that I know I will need to do forever and be aware of, but it is a small price to pay. I take my blood sugars daily and am now in the high 80's to low 90's every day. My Blood Pressure is the lowest i've ever been as well, and I feel great. I am aware of the symptoms of both just in case I do feel dizzy, lightheaded, tired etc., I see my endo next week (first time post op) so I can see what he says about all of my changes.

It's critical to carry some type of medical alert device that states you have had a gastric bypass. If you don't want to have a necklace, bracelet or key chain you can have an emergency medical card "attached" to your drivers license or state ID. Look on-line at the Secretary of State from your state for a FREE medical card you can print out. If you can't find one go to the Michigan SOS at the following link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Standard_AND_Enhanced_Medical_Alert_Card_Form_298118_7.pdf

This is the information you should include on your card in the conditions area:
Gastric Bypass (and the month and year of your surgery)
No blind NG tube
No NSAIDS / No sugars

There are also areas for a patient advocate, emergency contact and your PCP's contact info.

Jules congratulations that is awesome ,.wonderful news so happy for you.. I too hope to be told the same good news when i get my surgery in 24 more days, the thoughts of not having to take insulin shot and metformin and other diabetic med and blood pressure etc. List goes on it's so exciting to know it's true we can be "freeded' from all these medicinces and feel good.
Do you do ok eating? I assume you're past the liquids and on soft stuff? Do you have any appetite at all and what does it feel like to not be hungry, i know that might sound nut's it's just a hard concept and one i plan to experience to "not be hungry" i think it's all in the mind and all the commericals we see are mostly food i am anxious to know that once i loose more weight and have the surgery i'll be able to wear clothes haven't worn in 3 years and be able to buy new clothes , yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hope you are having a good day, thanks for sharing good uplifting news,
donna

Thank you Donna...yep, it feels great! I see my endo next week and hope to be adjusted or off a couple of other medications as well. I am on the soft foods now, and I know I may be the odd one on this forum, because I have felt no pain. Just a little discomfort for about 3 days, but regular "surgery" stuff, needed help sitting up, etc., But to think of what they did to my stomach and to have no pain at all or in my incisions has been a God send! I have not have difficulty with my liquids or getting my protein in. I still get 100 grams a day in the form of food, protein powder and pre-made protein drinks. All the foods i've re-introduced have a greed with me and I have not experienced any dumping. In the morning i'll either eat pureed oatmeal with added Protein, or I have 1 egg white with a table spoon of pinto beans and a little bit of Feta Cheese. This morning I also had a couple of ounces of baby food fruit. Last night I made Quinoa with black beans & cilanto & avocado...agreed with me perfectly! I can now take off all of my pants with out undoing the buttons or zippers! lol That's hilarious...i'm swimming in my pants. I've noticed weight loss in my hands, feet, waist and chest...go figure! lol I am not necessarily hungry, but I make sure I do eat and have a snack and have a couple protein drinks and sip my water/crystal light (makes the water intake so much easier for me) throughout the day. I keep a daily log of my food/drink intake and log the liquid, protein & calorie intake. I also log my Blood Sugars, Weight & Blood Pressure daily. I do the Blood Sugar & Blood Pressure mainly to show my Doctor a log when I see him and the NP has advised me not to worry about the calories i'm getting now, because it is way low than what we will ultimately be eating. Good Luck...feel free to ask any questions!

Back