• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diabetic

ascooke63

They told us in the seminar that diabetics are usually taken off their meds during the 2 weeks before surgery, Has any experienced this did you have any problems being off meds before surgery? If so were you following the liquid diet seriously?

I was on two oral med for diabetes, and also on the pump. They told me how to ajust my pump and they had gave me liquid med and I am also taking med for high blood pressure and high chol. Since I have had my surgery I am only on my blood pressure and cholr. and my pump but I dont take the other for my diabetes and I am taking less insulin in my pump. I cant wait to get off of the rest. I keep my pump on me when they did my surgery. What kind of surgery are you having?

Hi there. I have been reading on the web how studies are showing bypass actually can cure diabetes. I am hoping to come off both of my diabetic meds ofter surgery. Yet you are still on the pump? May i ask if you have type 1 diaetes? Are you happy with your decision to have the band surgery? Good luck in your journey!!! Marge

They told us in the seminar that diabetics are usually taken off their meds during the 2 weeks before surgery, Has any experienced this did you have any problems being off meds before surgery? If so were you following the liquid diet seriously?
Hi ascooke63
I was on 5 oral meds/day-2 of one-2 of another and 1 of a third type-my A1c was in the low7s @ my surgery time-The Doctor said he would keep me off all meds for 6 months and then resume them if my numbers were above 200 consistantly-In the 6 months after my RNY I saw 200 twice shortly after the surgery and they fell into normal ranges after that-my A1c at 3 months was 6.8 then at 6 months it was 6.4 and the last one was a 5.9-these readings were without any meds whatsoever since before my surgery-Not all patients get these results but many type II diabetics substanially lower or elimanate their diabetes symptoms altogether after a gastric bypass.
I didn't experience any ill effects from the liquid diet other than the fact that I hated the shakes-but it was part of the program and I just did it-the results of following the program have been unbelievable for me-it's still amazing to me how my life and health has changed and how much this has impacted my life for the better-it isn't a do anything without consequence thing but it is a great tool if used to it''s full potential.
Good Luck to you on your journey-The people here are always willing to help you thru good times and bad-hang in there !

Sleeve vs Bypass
My decision to get the RNY was bsed on my type II diabetes-My research and the my doctor were saying the same thing,that the gastric bypass was the way to go for best results with my diabetes and that was the driving consideration in my decision.
I am being interviewed by our local newspaper about the connection of Bariatric Surgery and the relief of Diabetic symptoms-My doctor said this week that it has been apparent to them for about 15 years and lately I've been reading about it in national news stories-now the local papers are going to cover it and I'm one of the subjects apparently-that's scarier than the surgery-lol

I was taken off my metformin for 1 week before surgery. I was on a liquid diet during this week and had no issues with my blood sugar level. Since my caloric intake was low due to the diet there was no need for the medication. I think as long as you stick to the diet there is no need for meds but you need to monitor your blood sugar just in case. Of course if you "cheat" your blood sugar will spike, it's just common sense. I'm sure you'll do fine!!!

Hi, I was a severe type II diabetic. I was on 94units of insulin and 1000mg of metformin plus 6 other oral meds a day for medical conditions ranging from high bp to irregular heartbeat and graves disease. The only issue I experienced with the liquid diet is that my Endocrinologist was with a different hospital than my Bariatric Team and she thought my liquid diet was for 4 days because that's is her hospital's normal procedure. In fact i was on the liquids for a week and my glucose levels dropped so low it was almost fatal. LESSON LEARNED: if your medical team is from different practices/hospitals...don't assume they all do these procedures the same. The good news is that i am 46 days post-op and i am almost MED FREE! I only take lipitor and the meds associated with the surgery. Make sure you call your Endocrinologist asap if you aren't adjusting to the liquid diet well, otherwise...you will be OK! GOOD LUCK

Hello, I had my gastric bypass on July 25, 2012. I was diabetic, High Blood Pressure and High Cholestrol...My Doctor never took me off anything but my low dose asperin prior to surgery. In the hospital, due to the meds & surgery there, my BS was high and I was getting Insulin shots. Prior to surgery I was on a medication called Victoza (a shot of medicine for diabetes) and 1000 Metformin, twice a day. Also my BP & HC meds. I left the hospital on 1000 mg of metformin...had to cut it in half, taken twice a day, continued my bp & hc meds. At my 2 week post op, Doc reduced my 1000 metformin to half a pill once a day (they'd rather you be high than low) and cut my bp med in half. I need to follow up with my Endocrinologist, which I have scheduled for the first of September, where I am hoping to reduce my meds even further. Both my Endo & Bariatric Surgeon believe I will be med free in 3 months post op and only taking vitamins for the rest of my life. I am on the road to success and everything seems to be falling into place.

Hello,

I chose the RNY surgery based on the studies that have shown that diabetics have been very successful in controlling their blood sugar levels. I was on glipizide and metformin up until the day before my surgery and my levels were fine, a little on the low side because of the liquid diet, but controlled. Right after surgery my levels spiked as a result of the shock to my body from the surgery. In the hospital I was given insulin for 2 days but since my release I have been off of all meds but I still monitor my sugars daily. It's important to know that at this point the surgery does not CURE diabetes but it can be controlled because of the restricted diet. I also had hypertension prior to surgery and was taking 2 medications but have also been taken off of the meds since the day of my surgery. In preparing for the surgery the dosage of my meds were also lowered as my weight began to drop.

It's a good article but in my opinion it's title is a bit misleading because of the use of the word cure and later calling it remission. There's a difference. The main thing to remember is that if your a diabetic it's always a good idea to monitor blood sugars :) . I'm so greatful to have been given the opportunity to have had this surgery so that I am able to control my diabetes in a healthy way!! It's been one of the best decisions I've made in my life!!!

In all fairness the studies are too new to be able to say it's a cure. Remission can last a lifetime. I agree that one must continue to monitor their blood sugar. I don't know of anyone who was told they don't need to do this anymore. You also need to have your A1C level checked every 6 months.

I have hypopituitarism, my pituitary gland doesn't work at all. So I am a type 1 diabetic. My surgeon said I would never get off of my diabetic meds. I had gotten off the pump but now back on it for better control. But type 2 diabetics can usually get off all their meds.
RamonaS

Back