• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diet Help - 2 Years post op

mmccarty

I am 2 years and 5 months post surgery. I have been doing great. I have had my weight go up 10 pounds but with life style changes the weight came right back off. I had a abdominalplasty just this past November. I was feeling really good about my weight and appearance, but I feel like I am in a downward spiral right now.

I have gained 10 pounds in 2 months. I know I am not eating like I should. I have been under an immense amount of stress between work and my kids (3 & 5 years old). But in just 2 months of poor diet I feel like I have forgotten everything I learned about eating right. I don't know where to start now. I want to FULL and nutritious diet, but WHAT do I eat. I feel like I need some one to hold my hand to make a food plan and go to the grocery store.

I stock up on healthy snacks, nuts, yogurt, cheese, fruits and vegis. But find myself eating to the point of getting sick. So clearly what I am doing is not satisfying my body or mind.

I work out often. Which now has caused even more disappointment because the number on the scale seems to be going up. I feel bloated and puffy. I have made drastic changes in the past two weeks. I have discontinued a few medications (with my doctors consent) and quit drinking diet pop in hopes it would help with this painful bloat I am feeling every day.

I don't know what is going on with my body right now, but I don't like it at all. If someone can help me get back on track I would appreciate it so much! I just feel awful!

I am 2 years and 5 months post surgery. I have been doing great. I have had my weight go up 10 pounds but with life style changes the weight came right back off. I had a abdominalplasty just this past November. I was feeling really good about my weight and appearance, but I feel like I am in a downward spiral right now.

I have gained 10 pounds in 2 months. I know I am not eating like I should. I have been under an immense amount of stress between work and my kids (3 & 5 years old). But in just 2 months of poor diet I feel like I have forgotten everything I learned about eating right. I don't know where to start now. I want to FULL and nutritious diet, but WHAT do I eat. I feel like I need some one to hold my hand to make a food plan and go to the grocery store.

I stock up on healthy snacks, nuts, yogurt, cheese, fruits and vegis. But find myself eating to the point of getting sick. So clearly what I am doing is not satisfying my body or mind.

I work out often. Which now has caused even more disappointment because the number on the scale seems to be going up. I feel bloated and puffy. I have made drastic changes in the past two weeks. I have discontinued a few medications (with my doctors consent) and quit drinking diet pop in hopes it would help with this painful bloat I am feeling every day.

I don't know what is going on with my body right now, but I don't like it at all. If someone can help me get back on track I would appreciate it so much! I just feel awful!

Ok.. stop and look at your scale. The good news is you have only gained 10lb.. think of all the weight you have lost. Getting off 10lb will be a snap! If I were you I would do one of 2 things. Go on a liquid diet for at least a week or go on a high protein diet for a week. Meat, eggs fish very little to no carbs .. maybe some lettuce and tomatoes for a salad ( hardly any carbs) and that's it. You should drop your 10lb.. Then once your weight is back down, start eating a normal diet very slowly. Think about everything you put in your mouth. Write it down. If you gain 2 lb stop and rethink what you are eating. Protein shakes are good but not if you drink them and then eat too. Double calories. Remember what it was like to be 100lb overweight. Get that 10lb off before it's up to 50lb. You can do this!!! You have worked too hard to put the weight back on!!!

Good Luck, keep us posted on your progress! We are here to help each other!!!

Cheyenne

NO SODA POP !!!

You are not supposed to take in any carbonated beverages. That is surely causing the bloat.

Find a good site such as caloriecount.com to record everything you consume.

I have a rule that I follow.

If I am at goal weight plus or minus 2 pounds I consider this my green zone (196 to 200 for me). I usually focus on making sure I get all my protein or close to it. For a male it is 80 to 90 grams; for a female 60 grams.

If I come up short I have a Premier Protein Shake, which has 30 grams of protein and also 500mg of calcium.

Generally, I can maintain my weight if I take in 1500 to 1800 calories of food, keeping the protein around 80 to 90 grams and not going overboard with the carbs; generally 100 to 150.

If I find my weight starting to creep up (generally for having days with too many carbs and more like 2000 calories or even more) I consider this my "yellow zone" (200 to 205 pounds) and then I cut back to 1200 to 1500 calories and focus on getting the carbs below 100grams. You can only follow these guide lines if you record everything you consume.

If I go over 205 I consider this my "red zone". I reduce my intake back down to 1200 calories, which is what we did during our initial weight loss cycle. I go liquid a whole lot more and get the carbs way down; like 60 or less.

You need to follow this discipline and not let it get away from you. You gone through so much; don't blow it.

But bloat!!! Soda pop!! NO SODA POP. Your stomach will be stretched if you consume carbonated beverages. Don't eat and drink at the same time. Your stomach will be stretched if you eat and then drink. Remember the rule of separating drinking from eating by at least 1/2 hour or more.

Go back and read up on your initial weight loss procedures that you received from your doctor's team.

Best wishes,

Ralph

And remember to eat very very slowly and over chew your food. You may even want to go back to weighing/measuring everything before you eat it. And use a small spoon to ensure smaller bites

I also am 2 years out an find myself 10 lbs up. My oldest just moved to another state to attend college an it has turned me into a emotional eater but when I saw the scales had changed that much I realized it's enough so today I am starting off the week by going back to the beginning. Going to do protein shakes an clear liquids an then by mid week work up to solid proteins. For me going back to the beginning is what's going to help. I just wanted you to know your not alone. Best wishes.

I also am 2 years out an find myself 10 lbs up. My oldest just moved to another state to attend college an it has turned me into a emotional eater but when I saw the scales had changed that much I realized it's enough so today I am starting off the week by going back to the beginning. Going to do protein shakes an clear liquids an then by mid week work up to solid proteins. For me going back to the beginning is what's going to help. I just wanted you to know your not alone. Best wishes.

Good Move!

We have completed control now and we have all the tools necesary to maintain our weight.

Ralph

Really staying on top of your weight has a lot to do with what’s going on in your head. Ask yourself what’s going on in my life that has encouraged my old eating habits? Am I stressed out about relationships, money, disappointment , depression, anxiety? Look within, talk to someone supportive to help you sort things out. Once you get this off your chest you will be able to get focused on your eating.

Back