• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diet?!

I have to lose 40 pounds before my surgery in January, so far I've lost 3. Does anyone have any tips? I'm completely stuck here. No wait leaves no matter how hard I try. Any advice would be amazing :) thanks xo

Do you hold water weight? Sometimes when I am losing weight the fat leaves but the water takes its place. The doctor gave me Lasix and then the water came off. My ankles were really swollen and the skin was tight. After the lasix my ankles were normal. The first time I took it I lost 18 pounds overnight. You do have to be careful to have enough potassium but not too much either while taking this medicine.

My first suggestion would be to start tracking your daily intake of food and liquids on MyFitnessPal.com or another online site. That way you can get a true, honest picture of your intake of calories and fat and see where you need to make changes. Start cutting out one thing at a time. If you try to do too much it is overwhelming and you'll want to quit.
One example-- I love the vanilla flavored coffees that you can get anywhere at fast food or 7-11s. But they have about 300 calories in a 12-ounce serving. So I started making my own coffee drinks in the morning with 1 tablespoon of sugar free vanilla powder and about a teaspoon of sugar. 30 calories. Saved 270 calories and still satisfied my craving. Closer to surgery I switched to decaf coffee and I can't tell the difference.

I am new here, but I have lost 27lbs pre-surgery. I have used protein drinks from Costco. Box says Premirer. I like vanilla. I have the Magic Bullet so I mix one drink and several ice cubes and fruit. I like blue berries best. It is about 160 calories. Then I eat salads. There is a store in Calif called Ralys. They have ready made salads in the veggie departmnt. They cost $4.00 for 1.Buy 2 and you get one for free. That is about $2.70 each. I am bad about making stuff so this really helps me. Good luck. We all need it.

Back