• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Disappointed

Gentry25

Hi I'm new to the group. I had the gastric bypass and a hernia repair 5 weeks ago . When I decided on the surgery my doctor told me I wouldn't be hungry and my stomach would be the size of a egg . This is where my disappointment comes in I'm still hungry all the time and my stomach can hold more than a egg portion like on mushy or wet foods . Of course I can't really eat chicken or anything dry that's when I feel the restriction. Seems like I haven't lost any weight since I went to soft foods . Has this happened to anyone else ?

Welcome to the group! Head hunger can be a hard thing to overcome. I find the busier I am the less I eat or think about food. Perhaps that is why so many people gained weight during covid isolation. It's normal to be able to eat more of certain foods than others. Meat proteins once you are off the mushy stage will fill you faster. As for not losing weight since soft foods, just hang in there. There is a thing called a 3 or 4 week stall and many of us have been through it. Your body is adjusting. Just keep following your program and the pounds will come off.

At 9 months out I am still doing my best to distinguish between real hunger and brain hunger. I drink water, have a protein shake, and wait a bit to decide if it’s real hunger. I do have set times that I eat meals because I forget sometimes or go too long between eating. Then I want to overeat the next time which isn’t really a thing anymore since there’s no room. Start with small, measured meals and only eat that much. Then if you do feel real hunger, you can always go back for more. That’s the advice my dietitian gave me.

Back