• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Do it now or wait?

Hello everyone! After many years of being obese and then morbidly obese, I never really seriously considered having any kind of WLS - until now. I'm 90% sure I'm going to have the sleeve. I'm 67 and want to be more fit and feel better in general. I just moved to a place where I could have the most beautiful life - if I was physically able. I have sent in a deposit to a medical tourism company who arranges it. I think I've gotten past the "should I?" question. Yes is that answer.

Here is my main dilemma.. I enjoy traveling - especially cruising. Up until now cruising has been difficult - with the exception of the moments I am sitting and eating and drinking. Of course, I mostly remember the good and not so much the bad. I have back-to-back cruises planned for March '24. It is now 11/20/23. Do I do it ASAP and have totally different cruises than I am used to? I'll be able to get around better most likely. But my idea of a cruise won't happen. Also, I'm thinking if I have complications I'll mess up everything for myself and my companions.

The other option is to set a date in April when I'm back home and able to do the pre-op diet... and TRY to not go crazy with last hurrah days between now and then.

I want to do some online therapy about this subject as soon as I can and I'm researching that. My brain obviously doesn't want to let go of the old me. I'd love to hear from those who have had similar decisions to make - or any other words of wisdom. Thanks in advance!

Back