• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Do you just ever need to hit a reset button?

Lesa Marie

Now that I’m 3 months post op, I feel like I'm comfortable with what I eat but maybe a little too comfortable on some days if you get what I saying. I have not been feeding my body what it needs for the past couple days & that scares me. So today I will be hitting that reset button & bettering myself for my own health. I have a week long road trip coming up that I’m horrified about. It’s going to bring back a lot of unhealthy memories eating out that much. I need to get back ahold of myself so that I can make better choices when we go. I don’t ever want to fall into that dark space again cause I’ve come so far. My body went through a lot and I’m not going to let it down now or ever.

I totally get what you are saying, but I love your positive attitude about not letting your body down.

Try to look at the menu ahead of time if possible and decide what you will eat so you don't make any poor choices. I think at 3 months out your tool is really going to help you through this. (It gets harder when you are a year out.)

And remember, it is only a week. Perhaps you might not lose weight but I would not worry too much about gaining especially if you make wise choices. Relax and enjoy your week. You've got this!

I hope you are successful on your road trip. Maybe you can bring along some canned chicken, salmon, etc & add to salads that are pretty much available at most fast food/sit down restaurants.

I am going back to stage 2 (full liquids) for a few days, mostly with protein shakes to get my levels back up to 60+ grams daily. Then I will spend a week or so doing soft/pureed foods again. I mostly need to tame my cravings and get my tastebuds dancing at the thought of healthier foods. After 2 1/2 months post-surgery, a reset is what I need for a little while.

I have not been feeding my body what it needs for the past couple days & that scares me. So today I will be hitting that reset button & bettering myself for my own health.

YOU go, girl! Listen to your extensive awareness of your body and mind. Arm yourself well in advance, and indulge in some "I am beautiful" affirmations and purging breaths.

It's way harder when you have to be around others, especially in a closed space. Can you tell them you don't want to talk unless the content is loving and positive? Nearly impossible on a road trip, I know.

But that's what headphones are for.

We will always be in the car with you. Close your eyes and feel our support.

I'm so proud of you for knowing there's a reset button. Press it as many times as you need it. You are the most important person in your life.:):):)

Tuna packets are good for the road! No need to refrigerate and easy to eat from the packaging. If you have to get food on the go chipotle kids menu is great - I get the kids soft tacos and choose beans, chicken, and guac and typically don’t even eat the tortilla. I am not sure if you are doing nuts yet but those are good for the car too. And crystal light single serve packets. Most gas stations carry string cheese these days. I too was terrified for our summer road trip but you’ve got this! Judy made a good point too to look at menus before hand - you will be less impulsive. When u get your food at restaurants move a portion about the size of your fist over to a smaller bread plate. It will keep you from eating more that you planned. I also chose apps when I could and that was always plenty! And of corse HAVE FUN!!!!! :)

Gosh, you guys are so wonderful here… Thank you for all the kind and wise suggestions! I have a very supportive husband and kids over here all on my side so that is also so very helpful. My husband naturally wants me to have fun and not stress about things including food. He knows I try to eat healthy most of the time but he also likes to see me enjoy the good things in life too. I know I have two options here… #1 that I can eat like crap most of the time and then FEEL like crap or #2 try and eat healthy a majority of the time (or the healthiest possible on the road) and be able to splurge here and there and still feel good. You guys have made me feel a TON better! I had such a healthy day today and I do feel proud of myself for that. I wanted to snack here and there but I didn’t. I made sure to have my meals and normal snacks and that’s been more than enough filling for me :) Hope you all have a great evening.

Lesa, I know exactly what you mean. Exactly. You'll be fine. You're very aware of where you're at, and where you want to be now and in the future. You'll take care. Also, I've found that while I can certainly eat more than I thought I would be able to, I can't eat nearly as much as I used to in one sitting. So, even less healthy choices are forced to be in moderation. So, eat at meal times and avoid snacking, for the most part: it IS a road trip after all!! lol You'll be fine. Enjoy your time with your family! have a great trip.

Back