• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Does anybody have fibromyalgia who had weight loss surgery?

Hi,
I've had fibromyalgia since I was in 1972 (long, long time) I had pretty well controlled before having my sleeve gastrectomy in July 2014. I have been flared up since the surgery - extreme pain and fatique.
I had a few breaks and started going to the gym but then I have another flare up. Is there anybody else out there who is dealing with this?

I have not yet had my surgery, (still in the prep stages), but I have had fibromyalgia for many years as well. I would also be interested in information from patients post surgery with this diagnosis. I hope you're doing better.

Surgery scheduled 4-1-15!

Last edited:
virgomrs,
I wish you well. I'm sure you will do fine. I've had fibro for a very long time mixed in with 2 auto accidents with back, neck and knee injuries which put me on disability. It sounds like you've only had fibro for a short time. I'm sure you will do well. I find that the amount of stress I have in my life affects the degree of my fibro pain and fatigue. I've had an awful lot of stress lately. So if you can keep your stress level down (if possible) you will do much better than me. Good luck. Keep me informed. When is your surgery? I'll be interested in your progress.

I was diagnosed with Fibro on Oct. 31, 1996 so have also had it some time. I am almost a month post op from the sleeve. I haven't had the flares that you are talking about as long as I take things easy but the weakness and tiredness have been with me. I think some is due to little eating and some to the fibro. The thing that controlled my Fibro more than anything was Ibuprofen but can't take that now. I hope you find a balance that you can live with without too much pain.

I am feeling better now. I lost 130lbs but didn't go back to the doctor to get my meds adjusted. Now that they are I am feeling much better. Thanks for your post.

I was diagnosed with Fibro on Oct. 31, 1996 so have also had it some time. I am almost a month post op from the sleeve. I haven't had the flares that you are talking about as long as I take things easy but the weakness and tiredness have been with me. I think some is due to little eating and some to the fibro. The thing that controlled my Fibro more than anything was Ibuprofen but can't take that now. I hope you find a balance that you can live with without too much pain.

Hi gibby4, I am having the sleeve done next week, and am curious as to why you are not allowed to take Ibuprofen yet. I was assuming I would be able to soon after the surgery. ( The surgeon used that as a reason he chose the sleeve for me instead of the bypass.) I also struggle with Fibro and need the med to move!

The anti-inflammatory in it can cause irritation to the stomach and could cause bleeding. I know what you mean.....it is about the only thing that helps me. I am also on Xanax as needed so when I am in a major flare I take one and it knocks me out. I think way down the road I may go back to them though. Just not any time soon. I hope you find something to help you.

The anti-inflammatory in it can cause irritation to the stomach and could cause bleeding. I know what you mean.....it is about the only thing that helps me. I am also on Xanax as needed so when I am in a major flare I take one and it knocks me out. I think way down the road I may go back to them though. Just not any time soon. I hope you find something to help you.

It seems that my surgeon and yours have a difference of opinion. My surgery is this Wed. and he's allowing me to take it until Sunday (tomorrow). He's allowing me to resume it only a few days after surgery. I'm going to double check with him again before resuming after surgery. (Your post has me concerned.) I'll keep you updated..... :eek:

It seems that my surgeon and yours have a difference of opinion. My surgery is this Wed. and he's allowing me to take it until Sunday (tomorrow). He's allowing me to resume it only a few days after surgery. I'm going to double check with him again before resuming after surgery. (Your post has me concerned.) I'll keep you updated..... :eek:

I'm only an observer on this but having read many posts from many people I have read over and over again that one of the perks of the sleeve surgery is being able to take ibuprofen after surgery for fibromyalgia.

Hope everyone feels better.

Cheyenne

I'm only an observer on this but having read many posts from many people I have read over and over again that one of the perks of the sleeve surgery is being able to take ibuprofen after surgery for fibromyalgia.

Hope everyone feels better.

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne! Yes, that is the reason my surgeon said the sleeve was the best choice for me.

gibby4,

I really think you should not have to go without your preferred meds. Do you have a pre-existing problem with your stomach? Inflammation, ulcers etc? If not, I would have another conversation with your doc.

Hello gibby4, :D

I have gone through my surgery very well. I stopped the Ibuprophen 4 days before the day of surgery and as you can imagine, I was pretty miserable. (I was amazed how much difference the med makes again.) I spoke to the surgeon before my discharge and asked about starting again, and his first response was "in 2 weeks". After the look on my face and my groans, he changed his answer to "go ahead and take it." I went home that day after surgery feeling pretty awful. I tried to stretch the time out a little bit, but gave up the following day and took it that evening. It was amazing. Within an hour or so I felt SOO much better. I am getting along with no ill effects so far, and I don't expect any. He did give me a Rx for a med to protect my stomach, to take daily. I am also taking aspirin for my heart. My tummy seems to be happy!

I don't know what you should do with this information. I will update you if I have any untoward effects, okay? Feel better! :eek:

Hello gibby4, :D

I have gone through my surgery very well. I stopped the Ibuprophen 4 days before the day of surgery and as you can imagine, I was pretty miserable. (I was amazed how much difference the med makes again.) I spoke to the surgeon before my discharge and asked about starting again, and his first response was "in 2 weeks". After the look on my face and my groans, he changed his answer to "go ahead and take it." I went home that day after surgery feeling pretty awful. I tried to stretch the time out a little bit, but gave up the following day and took it that evening. It was amazing. Within an hour or so I felt SOO much better. I am getting along with no ill effects so far, and I don't expect any. He did give me a Rx for a med to protect my stomach, to take daily. I am also taking aspirin for my heart. My tummy seems to be happy!

I don't know what you should do with this information. I will update you if I have any untoward effects, okay? Feel better! :eek:

Virgomrs, I am glad your surgery went well and you are feeling good! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

I am not sure if anyone will see this since it has been awhile since a reply was given. I have had Fibromyalgia for a long time now. I am have the Gastric ByPass on 7/16/15 and I am very worried about my liquid diet because Aspartame is a HUGE trigger for my Fibro and almost everything suggested to eat of course has it. Not sure if it is triggering yours or not but thought I would mention it since it took me a long time to realize it was a trigger.

Good Luck!!

I am not sure if anyone will see this since it has been awhile since a reply was given. I have had Fibromyalgia for a long time now. I am have the Gastric ByPass on 7/16/15 and I am very worried about my liquid diet because Aspartame is a HUGE trigger for my Fibro and almost everything suggested to eat of course has it. Not sure if it is triggering yours or not but thought I would mention it since it took me a long time to realize it was a trigger.

Good Luck!!

Hi Smiles!

Congratulations on your surgery date!

There is a natural sweetener I use called Truvia. It tastes just like sugar to me and has zero calories. You may have to make your own diet stuff from scratch but it would be worth it if you have such problems with Aspartame.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Cheyenne :cool:

Back