1. American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
    Dismiss Notice

Does WLS help decrease your cholesterol?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Robbi, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Robbi

Robbi New Member

Surgery Type:
    BPDS
    Does anyone know if WLS will help decrease and control cholesterol. I'm new to this.

2. Pixx

Pixx Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    6-19-17
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I would say you'd need to consult your doctor to confirm the ups and downs of cholesterol after WLS, however, I also know that I don't call my surgeon every time I have a question about something. I read several research articles about WLS and it's effects on cholesterol and the general consensus from them was that your cholesterol levels will take 1-3 years to level out after surgery, and in the meantime could spike or bottom out based on how your body reacts to the surgery you have. The conclusions were the same however, in that cholesterol was notably decreased in patients that underwent the malabsorptive type of WLS, (RnY/DS) whereas results were highly varied in patients and even showed some that increased after surgery for those that had an adjustable version of WLS (VS) based on how well they observed and maintained their daily diet. A lot of the information pointed to total weight loss, healthy eating habits, and reduction of overall fat as the reasons why it was attainable and successful for helping reduce cholesterol. Hope that helps! :)

3. Tracy Lindenmuth

Tracy Lindenmuth Bariatric Guru

Surgery Type:
    Bariatric bypass
    Surgery Date:
    December 22, 2016
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Mine has been reduced, but I think mostly because I eat much better than I did before surgery. Good luck

Carolyn337 and Pixx like this.