• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Doesn’t even feel like I had surgery

Hi Everyone,
Needing some other perspectives… I am 7 days post op from my RNY Bypass. I’ve had an unusually easy experience so far. No pain, even 12hrs post surgery, no dumping, no nausea, no headache, … seriously no negative side effects. Which is scarring me.
I can consume 4oz of puréed food without any symptoms 7days post surgery . Which is scarring me too.

How do I know if I’m stretching my pouch?…I have no signals of pain right now.. so I’m feeling unsure.

I don't know the answers but I just had a sleeve on the 14th of this month. I also have not had a lot of symptoms. Pain has been minimal and I have not been nauseous. The only time I got a little sick was two days ago when I was at the store and was by candy that smelled very strong. It made me sick. If I eat too much I can tell and it feels full. I have been having 3-4 oz of pureed food.

Just a word about stomach stretching from and old farm girl. We butchered our meat and then had to disembowel the animal. The stomach is not only thick, but dense tissue and SO HARD TO STRETCH. You are not going to stretch your stomach. That's one of the myths of bariatric surgery. First, you'll never be able to get enough food in there to stretch it. Secondly, it quickly moves to the duodenum where it proceeds into the intestines, which break it down fast. You needn't worry, except for one thing: sugar. Don't put sugar into things, don't eat sugary snacks. Follow the recommended bariatric diet and MOVE. go for a walk. Vacuum your rug. Watch tv while doing jumping jacks. Get some movement hobbies like hacky sack and get REALLY good at it. If you drop the sack, start all over from zero and keep making contact 100 times. Meet your neighbor. Go for a walk. Look up low-carb, high-protein snacks and enjoy them. If you lose a few pounds, reward yourself with a new pair of slacks or a new dress. Start planning that exotic vacation. Take money you'd spend on nasty food, put it in a jar, and donate it to a food bank for people who can't afford to buy meat and survive on mac and cheese. Food equals money. Keep that in mind. If you don't overeat, you can overspend charitably.

But come on. Food shame is just vanity in disguise. Your don't want to be the one who's fat while all the skinnies are running around. But there's a middle ground. You don't have to be anorexic to be beautiful. Focus on other things, like shoes, dresses, gifts to others, paying for someone's meal, volunteering. Stop being so obsessed with yourself.

And do web research on stretching stomachs. You'll learn it's almost impossible to do. The fat you see on obese bodies has nothing to do with the stomach. It's fat layers under the skin that migrate all over your body. Give yourself a break.

Just a word about stomach stretching from and old farm girl. We butchered our meat and then had to disembowel the animal. The stomach is not only thick, but dense tissue and SO HARD TO STRETCH. You are not going to stretch your stomach. That's one of the myths of bariatric surgery. First, you'll never be able to get enough food in there to stretch it. Secondly, it quickly moves to the duodenum where it proceeds into the intestines, which break it down fast. You needn't worry, except for one thing: sugar. Don't put sugar into things, don't eat sugary snacks. Follow the recommended bariatric diet and MOVE. go for a walk. Vacuum your rug. Watch tv while doing jumping jacks. Get some movement hobbies like hacky sack and get REALLY good at it. If you drop the sack, start all over from zero and keep making contact 100 times. Meet your neighbor. Go for a walk. Look up low-carb, high-protein snacks and enjoy them. If you lose a few pounds, reward yourself with a new pair of slacks or a new dress. Start planning that exotic vacation. Take money you'd spend on nasty food, put it in a jar, and donate it to a food bank for people who can't afford to buy meat and survive on mac and cheese. Food equals money. Keep that in mind. If you don't overeat, you can overspend charitably.

But come on. Food shame is just vanity in disguise. Your don't want to be the one who's fat while all the skinnies are running around. But there's a middle ground. You don't have to be anorexic to be beautiful. Focus on other things, like shoes, dresses, gifts to others, paying for someone's meal, volunteering. Stop being so obsessed with yourself.

And do web research on stretching stomachs. You'll learn it's almost impossible to do. The fat you see on obese bodies has nothing to do with the stomach. It's fat layers under the skin that migrate all over your body. Give yourself a break.
Hey Diane,
Thank you for your honesty and advice! Much appreciated!

I don't know the answers but I just had a sleeve on the 14th of this month. I also have not had a lot of symptoms. Pain has been minimal and I have not been nauseous. The only time I got a little sick was two days ago when I was at the store and was by candy that smelled very strong. It made me sick. If I eat too much I can tell and it feels full. I have been having 3-4 oz of pureed food.
Hey mandamama,
Congrats on getting the sleeve! Thanks for sharing you experience so far; I’m finding that I’m having to re-learn my body and what a pain lol today I decided that I was to learn my new hunger signals… so I didn’t eat until 4:30p… and unfortunately I still can’t say that “hunger” feels the same as it use to. It use to be so distinct for me, but now it’s hard to identify. Guess I gotta keep learning my body.. :/

Back