• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Double Chin

I don't know about all of the rest of you, but I cannot WAIT to get rid of my fat double chin. I almost had liposuction on it, and then it dawned on me that I should just accept the fact that I need the gastric bypass. I resisted this for SOOOO long, and I feel so bad that I was very judgmental of people when they had it done, but I believe now that underneath that was jealousy. I have had issues accepting my body even when I was thin, so I am going to embrace this, let go of my shame and fear, and move forward knowing that this is the best thing for me.

I totally get what you mean about body acceptance. If only I had accepted my body the way it was when I was 150, 160, 170 pounds, etc.... maybe I wouldn't have had the attitude of "oh well, I'm fat anyway so what does it matter?" I do think that these days there is more being done about body image than before if you know where to look for helpful sites on social media, etc. I am reading "Intuitive Eating for Every Day" by Evelyn Tribole which is like a daily devotional. Yesterday was about body acceptance and it shared four mantras:
  • I am more than my body
  • My body does not define my worth
  • My body has nothing to do with my character strengths
  • My body is my home for the rest of my life

I think it is important on this journey to remind ourselves that having WLS is not going to guarantee us the perfect body. In fact many of us have issues with lose skin, etc. But the end result is a healthy body which is home for the rest of your life. Make it a good one! It does not have to be perfect, but do strive for good health so it can last you for years to come.

I don't know about all of the rest of you, but I cannot WAIT to get rid of my fat double chin. I almost had liposuction on it, and then it dawned on me that I should just accept the fact that I need the gastric bypass. I resisted this for SOOOO long, and I feel so bad that I was very judgmental of people when they had it done, but I believe now that underneath that was jealousy. I have had issues accepting my body even when I was thin, so I am going to embrace this, let go of my shame and fear, and move forward knowing that this is the best thing for me.
This sounds exactly like my story!!

Back