• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Drinking Liquids, burping and sippy cups

dancinbr

Hi,

One of the challenges I am having is drinking at the right SLOW rate. I remember coming home with a guideline to drink one ounce of liquid every 15 minutes and that I drink that ounce with several small sips.

Now that I remember that I realize I am drinking way too fast and must slow down. Since slowing down I am doing much better. I do get a lot of gas from drinking liquids especially if I drink too quickly. I had a horrible day yesterday going around all afternoon burping. I clearly consumed about 12 ounces of apple juice way too fast. If I follow the guideline above it should have taken 3 hours not 30 to 45 minutes.

So it is a lesson learned. I also remember other post op folks that I spoke to at group meetings mentioning that they literally walk around with a sippy cup and constantly sip liquids all day to stay hydrated. I am about to order some sippy cups. What I understand is a sippy cup helps reduce the amount of air that you take in when consuming the liquid. Combine this with drinking slowly ( one ounce per 15 minutes) it will produce a lot less gas and what gas I produced gets out quickly and quietly.

I would be interested in hearing about other folks and their experience on this.

Thanks,

Ralph

I found a Contigo water bottle at Target with a sippy / bite mouth piece that does not allow for excess air while sipping on it. I think the reason for the lack of air is the lid has a straw from bottom to lid which is then connected to the sippy / bite mouth piece. I have noticed it is a tad bit resistant when sipping which seems to keep the air out of the straw to mouth..
If need be I can take a pic and post it.

I found a Contigo water bottle at Target with a sippy / bite mouth piece that does not allow for excess air while sipping on it. I think the reason for the lack of air is the lid has a straw from bottom to lid which is then connected to the sippy / bite mouth piece. I have noticed it is a tad bit resistant when sipping which seems to keep the air out of the straw to mouth..

Interesting, about the straw down to the bottom attached to sippy part of lid.

Good engineering to eliminate as much air as possible.

I will look around for this cup or similar cups.

Thanks,

Ralph

Are we talking about the same sippie cups as the toddler sippie cups? I have a dozen or so for my grand kids who have pretty much outgrown them. I was going to donate them but now I'm glad I haven't yet. Grandma gets to use them. The kids will love that :p

Are we talking about the same sippie cups as the toddler sippie cups? I have a dozen or so for my grand kids who have pretty much outgrown them. I was going to donate them but now I'm glad I haven't yet. Grandma gets to use them. The kids will love that :p

That's funny Gr8k8..... I'm sure your grand kids will love that one.

It is a good idea!

I have one of those contigo cups with the straw and one that can hold hot or cold beverages this one you have press a button for a hole to open so you can drink out of it. I was unsure about the one with the straw in it because of the straw. I may take it in to the office to let the nurse navigator look at it and see what she thinks. Mine holds over 32oz.

I have one of those contigo cups with the straw and one that can hold hot or cold beverages this one you have press a button for a hole to open so you can drink out of it. I was unsure about the one with the straw in it because of the straw. I may take it in to the office to let the nurse navigator look at it and see what she thinks. Mine holds over 32oz.
The one I have, you push a button and the sippy valve pops up... I'll add a link. Mind you I found mine at Target.
http://www.gocontigo.com/32-oz-autospout-addison-water-bottles.html

View attachment 694

The one I have, you push a button and the sippy valve pops up... I'll add a link. Mind you I found mine at Target.

View attachment 694[/QUOTE

That is the one that I have. It is a lighter blue and I just looked at it again and it holds 32oz.

Awesome... I showed it to my bariatric nurse today. She said it will be ideal for home use..

Our bariatric unit will give us waster doled out in 1 ounce pill cups and it will be recorded as to how much we are taking in.
My nurse also explained that a half mouth full of water, no chipmunk or hamster cheeks stuffed full, of water is about what can be handled a couple of days after surgery. We will see next Tuesday.
I will be able to jump on line from my room. My TV is also a computer so I will post right after surgery and in between walking and strolling about.

View attachment 694[/QUOTE

That is the one that I have. It is a lighter blue and I just looked at it again and it holds 32oz.

I love mine.. I am now in the habit of filling it and carrying it with me where ever I go throughout the day. My hubby is going to put a 1 gallon jug of water in the car for me to refill from when I am out running errands and such.

I have several of the Contigo travel cups, just not the ones with the straw. I love that they don't spill. I keep one at work and refill it throughout the day. I liked mine so much I bought the 2-pair set at Costco for my parents for Christmas (good thing they aren't on this site - haha).

I have several of the Contigo travel cups, just not the ones with the straw. I love that they don't spill. I keep one at work and refill it throughout the day. I liked mine so much I bought the 2-pair set at Costco for my parents for Christmas (good thing they aren't on this site - haha).

LOL, :). Hey they make awesome gifts for parents. We gave my 80 yr. old mom a set too.

I have several sets of the Contigo travel water bottles with the carabiner type clip handles that we picked up at Costco as a 2 pack as well. I keep those on hand for my great nieces and nephews, they love them. My husband takes them to work as well.

I just ordered one bottle for myself

Ok.

I placed the order for one bottle via Amazon prime account; free shipping.

I will have it in the next couple of days.

Thanks everyone,

Ralph

Ralph, have you tried putting the liquid in your mouth and then using your tongue to push the air out of your nose before swallowing? It really works.
All my life I have had some sort of liquid next to me, so it hasn't been much of a transition-- except for the contents. No more Coke or juice drinks, but you know, I haven't missed it.

Ralph, have you tried putting the liquid in your mouth and then using your tongue to push the air out of your nose before swallowing? It really works.
All my life I have had some sort of liquid next to me, so it hasn't been much of a transition-- except for the contents. No more Coke or juice drinks, but you know, I haven't missed it.

Now how do you do that?

I was told that if you take a normal mouthful of water you do not have to worry about the air. The dietician classified a swallow as your cheeks are touching your teeth and not filled up and ballooned out.

Personally, "pushing" air back and behind your soft palate to get it out of your nose sounds more like a potential to aspirate and choke..

If you have that much air to worry about it seems as though that is more a gulp than a typical swallow.

Back