• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

ds ("sleeve") bariatric surgery

bab_albuq

I hope to be having the ds sleeve bariatric surgery in Lubbock Tx (Dr. Syn), in the near future, but am still researching and trying to be sure it's the right one for me. Has anyone had it and do you have any info to give me (pros, cons, both, etc.)?

I had the gastric sleeve 12/1/11. I felt this was the right one for me because I did not have any health concerns but I did have problems with my knees. I have to be honest with you (but it also depends on your body), the first month was rough for me. First 2 weeks you have pain on your left side that if you sneeze or cough you will feel like crying. But the main goal for the 1st 2 weeks for me, per my doctor, was to get the protein in especially 90 - 100 grams of protein each day. I slowly added jello, popsicles could not stand the broth stuff :) After the 2 weeks the pain started subsiding and became more of an ache but hiccups, sneezes and coughs still ached. The first 2 weeks I had lost 22 lbs, the 2nd two weeks I only lost 2 lbs so I was disappointed until the doctore said they only expect you to lose between 20 - 25 lbs the first month and I lost 24 lbs so I was good. I am now 7 weeks out and have lost a total of 30 lbs. The main thing is the first couple of days rest but don't let everyone wait on you get up yourself and get your protein drinks and stuff like that you must start moving around. Once you think you are ready and able start walking then progress your exercise. I am currently working out every day during the week at the gym on the treadmill, bike and lifting weights. It can be a challenge at times but it is well worth it.

Back