• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

DS "sleeve" for more "drastic" and permanent weight loss

bab_albuq

I am having the DS "sleeve" surgery because I have to lose 185-200 lbs. and wanna keep it off; while having more food choices and being able to eat more (after a yr. or two, that is!). It should also greatly improve or remove my health issues of sleep apnea, diabetes (borderline) and COPD.

Any comments, thoughts on this are welcomed :) ~Belinda

Hi! Have you actually had this done yet? I had this done 12/8/11 and my sleep apnea, diabetes and high cholesterol are all gone!! Still on a low dose of blood pressure medicine, but doctor seems to think I'll be off of it within a month or so. Yay!!!! I'm just kind of down on myself about the weight loss. I thought I had read everything possible about the surgery, but it seems to me the weight isn't coming off very fast. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I thought it'd be falling off. Two weeks after surgery I had lost 20 lbs, which I thought was great! It seems to have really slowed down now. Although my scale isn't the best (I need to get an accurate one), I went back to the doctor after another week and a half and had only lost 2 lbs., which I guess isn't bad, but was hoping for more. Please let me know how your surgery goes! I'm anxious to compare and get some tips from you.

I had my DS (open) done on June 24 of 2011. So far I have lost over 100 lbs. I am unable to tell you about diabetes because I did not have it. As for the cholesterol, I have not gotten my 6 month labs back yet. But I feel great. My body is thanking me. I still have a long way to go but the results so far are well worth it. My husband has loved the results so much that he is planning on getting the surgery the end of Feb. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Nothing is off limits.

Hey, I had DS in July of 2011 and i have lost around 130 lbs as to date, i have had stalls of two weeks and then one day it starts working again. Just give it time to do it's thing.
Good luck! As for Diabetes, i was taking 4 shots a day and oral meds, I am off of every thing now :D. But my Knee is killing me i don't know if i have started doing more and it just isn't used to it or what!

Chip, I love my DS!

Back