• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eating the protein bars and protein shakes w/o having surgery for weight loss

Starlightjenna

Hi Everybody! I'm wondering if any of you have tried the protein supplement program using the bars and shakes here without having the surgery. I used the supplement program similar to Ideal Protein in the past and lost 45 pounds. I ate a protein supplement for breakfast, one for lunch with a 2 cup veggie filled large salad, a sensible low carb dinner consisting of meat and salad with 2 cups of veggies and another supplement for bed time snack. Has anyone else tried that? Unfortunately I went off of it and gained 1/2 back. I'm looking for support in starting that again. With their program I met with a coach who reviewed my food journal and did my body measurements each week. She was cheering me on. I am switching to the protein supplements offered through American Food Source and their site directed me to this support forum. I would like the cheerleading support from you if possible as I would have gotten from my Ideal Protein Coach.

Hi Everybody! I'm wondering if any of you have tried the protein supplement program using the bars and shakes here without having the surgery. I used the supplement program similar to Ideal Protein in the past and lost 45 pounds. I ate a protein supplement for breakfast, one for lunch with a 2 cup veggie filled large salad, a sensible low carb dinner consisting of meat and salad with 2 cups of veggies and another supplement for bed time snack. Has anyone else tried that? Unfortunately I went off of it and gained 1/2 back. I'm looking for support in starting that again. With their program I met with a coach who reviewed my food journal and did my body measurements each week. She was cheering me on. I am switching to the protein supplements offered through American Food Source and their site directed me to this support forum. I would like the cheerleading support from you if possible as I would have gotten from my Ideal Protein Coach.

I am confused.

Are you going for bariatric surgery?

Or are you still at the point, which so many of us had to pass through, where you are going to try and lose the weight again with supplement programs?

I know I have gone through 3 medical diets, a weightwatcher for lifetime, another modified medical diet on my own. Each time as you indicated I lost for awhile (and never all the weight I needed to lose) and then gained it back again and then some more.

I finally decided to go for the bariatric gastric bypass last 11/4/2013. I had peaked at 290. Today I am at 207 and tomorrow a bit lower since I weighed in late today. I haven't seen 207 in over 30 years!

During those 30 years I did exactly what you are thinking of doing again and again, temporarily enjoying a weight loss but not the whole required weight loss, then fell off the wagon and regained the weight again.

This time around I have dropped now close to 90 pounds. I am about to see a weight under 200 within the next couple of months for sure. The last time I saw that was around 1976 or so,.

So, we are here to support any and all who are heading to a bariatric surgery and need our support. We can relate to your experience bring you along on a learning curve, adapt to this entirely new way of life and then some.

However, it is hard for me and perhaps others in this support forum to help someone who is going one more time to try losing ALL THEIR EXCESS WEIGHT, via conventiona means and diets. We have all tried it and failed repeatedly.

Now, we are enjoying true success for the rest of our lives.

Oh and yes you can still louse up this weight loss too. However, so many of us are finding lasting success with bariatric surgery. it brings so many immediate benefits.

It is also a lifestyle change. From the point of our surgery we begin a "honeymoon" phase that lasts from one year to one and a half years. Everything is honky dory, we lose the weight and then we finally and truly reach a good weight goal and hopefully by then we have converted our eating and exercise habits to a life long lifestyle. The surgery is a tool; a very good tool and for most of us it brings success.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Please stop advertising your product on this site......

Hi Stinkerbelle,

Is that what you think is going on?

Well in any event I gave an honest and thorough response.

Ralph

The person is stating they are losing weight using 2 named weight loss programs without surgery... They have a Coach supplied through one of the programs.. Regained half the weight lost when stopping the program. This appears to be more os a sales pitch for a protein based non surgical weight loss program.

I agree with Dancibr, but I just don't see that Starlightjenna is advertising anything, or if she is,frankly she's not doing a very good job of it since she regained as is typical, like Ralph said with just about all diets. She says she is currently using the protien products formerly offered on this site, which helps pay for the costs of running this site. I have no problem with this, the administrators are doing a wonderful job of keeping this site in tip top shape. She is just asking for support and after all isn't this why were here? To support each other? So all I can say is:

Welcome Starlightjenna I wish you the best of luck and success with your new adventure. Please try to remember that whatever process you use to loose weight, it will only be meaningful if it is something you truly can continue doing for the rest of your life.

Last Friday I was talking to my Nurse Practioner about the most wonderful thing this surgery has done for me, the one thing that has me convinced that I will have a successful weight loss and ability to maintain that lost weight for life. That wonderful thing is that this surgery put me in touch with my body again, I know when I'm full, I know when I'm hungry, I know when I'm craving something that my body needs and I know when I desire something for just the pure pleasure of it. She said that most WLS patients say the same thing, that it is the first time that their body tells them that they're full and they have to stop. She said that for some reason people who suffer from obesity have lost their ability to read or sense their body's signals of fullness. She agreed that this surgery is considered successful because of the obvious immediate health benefits, but also statically it is the only weight loss program that has lasting benefits for more than 10 years after the weight had been lost. More people are at their goal 10 years later than any other weight loss program. This is something to consider. But if you want to try another diet than please do what you feel is best for you and know that I support your efforts. I really hope that you are successful and feel that if you believe that this diet will work for you than you will be successful.
Good luck and best wishes
Kt

I am confused.

Are you going for bariatric surgery?

Or are you still at the point, which so many of us had to pass through, where you are going to try and lose the weight again with supplement programs?

I know I have gone through 3 medical diets, a weightwatcher for lifetime, another modified medical diet on my own. Each time as you indicated I lost for awhile (and never all the weight I needed to lose) and then gained it back again and then some more.

I finally decided to go for the bariatric gastric bypass last 11/4/2013. I had peaked at 290. Today I am at 207 and tomorrow a bit lower since I weighed in late today. I haven't seen 207 in over 30 years!

During those 30 years I did exactly what you are thinking of doing again and again, temporarily enjoying a weight loss but not the whole required weight loss, then fell off the wagon and regained the weight again.

This time around I have dropped now close to 90 pounds. I am about to see a weight under 200 within the next couple of months for sure. The last time I saw that was around 1976 or so,.

So, we are here to support any and all who are heading to a bariatric surgery and need our support. We can relate to your experience bring you along on a learning curve, adapt to this entirely new way of life and then some.

However, it is hard for me and perhaps others in this support forum to help someone who is going one more time to try losing ALL THEIR EXCESS WEIGHT, via conventiona means and diets. We have all tried it and failed repeatedly.

Now, we are enjoying true success for the rest of our lives.

Oh and yes you can still louse up this weight loss too. However, so many of us are finding lasting success with bariatric surgery. it brings so many immediate benefits.

It is also a lifestyle change. From the point of our surgery we begin a "honeymoon" phase that lasts from one year to one and a half years. Everything is honky dory, we lose the weight and then we finally and truly reach a good weight goal and hopefully by then we have converted our eating and exercise habits to a life long lifestyle. The surgery is a tool; a very good tool and for most of us it brings success.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back