• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

EDG

3momchaos

Just finished my EDG and everything went really well. No problems, a little gastritis and some slight signs of reflux but everything else looks "optimal" for a successful gastric bypass surgery. My surgeon said that he’s only putting me on the liquid diet for a day or 2 before surgery. He said they’ll suction out as much of the gas as possible before closing me up. As long as I’m drinking fluids they’ll let me go home from the hospital the day after. He does anticipate removing my gallbladder as well. And depending on when I can schedule my last dietician and counselor appointment, I could have the surgery as early as mid September, so that’s got me excited as well!

Just finished my EDG and everything went really well. No problems, a little gastritis and some slight signs of reflux but everything else looks "optimal" for a successful gastric bypass surgery. My surgeon said that he’s only putting me on the liquid diet for a day or 2 before surgery.

That is so exciting! And only a day or 2 of liquid diet? Wow! I thought I'd hit the jackpot when my surgeon said only a week. Here's to a great September surgery!

Just finished my EDG and everything went really well. No problems, a little gastritis and some slight signs of reflux but everything else looks "optimal" for a successful gastric bypass surgery. My surgeon said that he’s only putting me on the liquid diet for a day or 2 before surgery. He said they’ll suction out as much of the gas as possible before closing me up. As long as I’m drinking fluids they’ll let me go home from the hospital the day after. He does anticipate removing my gallbladder as well. And depending on when I can schedule my last dietician and counselor appointment, I could have the surgery as early as mid September, so that’s got me excited as well!

What a great day for you. Wonderful surgeon news for you about the pre-diet, too. Good luck with your other appts. I have an appt with the surgeon next week and I'm going to ask about suctioning the gas out. It sounds like a way to prevent the painful post surgery gas pains.

What a great day for you. Wonderful surgeon news for you about the pre-diet, too. Good luck with your other appts. I have an appt with the surgeon next week and I'm going to ask about suctioning the gas out. It sounds like a way to prevent the painful post surgery gas pains.
One of the things he pointed out to me, is that the gas escaping can be painful which is why he suctions it out, but the majority of the pain comes from the fact that the entire abdominal cavity is distended for a hour or more due to the gas expanding the area. He said that is where the most discomfort comes from since all of that is stretching. But I made sure to ask him specifically if it’d be worse if they didn’t take out the majority of the gas and he said absolutely, but little pockets of gas can find hiding places, so some gas stays in. I hope your appointment goes well!

Back