• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eleven days post-op, lost 4 pounds.

virgomrs

:(

I am today eleven days post sleeve surgery, and still waiting for the "great pound melting" I've heard about to begin. I have lost a grand total of 4 pounds! I AM SO DISCOURAGED! :mad:

My surgery went well. No serious issues at all. I have had no problems getting protein in and keeping carbs low. My surgeon has already advanced me to the pureed/mushy foods. I am walking with my walker doing laps around the house. ( I have other medical issues preventing me from going without one. I'm hoping weight loss will help correct these issues.)

I know everyone loses at an individual rate, but I've failed to read another post stating so little progress at this initial stage. I had only a couple pounds of fluid gain post-op so I don't think that is my problem.

Since starting on the mushy food diet 2 days ago, I have been able to eat at least 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and the same with tuna salad with no discomfort. ( Done in my 30 min. limited meal time. I am also stopping my fluids 30 min. before eating and 30 min. after as instructed.) I stopped at the 1/2 cup amount. I can also take pretty full swallows of water as well. ( Definitely more than a sip.)

I had thought my stomach remnant was smaller than that! I couldn't have stretched my stomach in this short a period, right?

So, I'm curious to hear if my journey so far is as unusual as I think it is, or if I should chill out and just stick with my current road. Thanks everyone.

Gaye

You need to give it some time. Your body has gone through a huge change. It needs time to adjust. I lost about 10 lbs in my first 30 days so don't worry do what doctor says to do and keep moving around and the weight will come off.

:(

I am today eleven days post sleeve surgery, and still waiting for the "great pound melting" I've heard about to begin. I have lost a grand total of 4 pounds! I AM SO DISCOURAGED! :mad:

My surgery went well. No serious issues at all. I have had no problems getting protein in and keeping carbs low. My surgeon has already advanced me to the pureed/mushy foods. I am walking with my walker doing laps around the house. ( I have other medical issues preventing me from going without one. I'm hoping weight loss will help correct these issues.)

I know everyone loses at an individual rate, but I've failed to read another post stating so little progress at this initial stage. I had only a couple pounds of fluid gain post-op so I don't think that is my problem.

Since starting on the mushy food diet 2 days ago, I have been able to eat at least 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and the same with tuna salad with no discomfort. ( Done in my 30 min. limited meal time. I am also stopping my fluids 30 min. before eating and 30 min. after as instructed.) I stopped at the 1/2 cup amount. I can also take pretty full swallows of water as well. ( Definitely more than a sip.)

I had thought my stomach remnant was smaller than that! I couldn't have stretched my stomach in this short a period, right?

So, I'm curious to hear if my journey so far is as unusual as I think it is, or if I should chill out and just stick with my current road. Thanks everyone.

Gaye

Hi Gaye, So glad your surgery went well!!! Normally they pump a person full of fluids during surgery. I came home from the hospital having gained about 15lb but within a month had lost the fluid plus a good deal more weight. You very well may have more fluid than you think.

You could ask your surgeon how small he made your stomach. My surgeon told me that mine held 2 oz after surgery. It only held about 2 tablespoons of food and any more than that made me physically sick. It took me a year to stretch my stomach and work up to 1/2 cup. How much did your surgeon tell you to eat at each meal?

Even if your stomach holds 1/2 cup (4oz) now, you will still lose weight. Just don't stretch it any bigger.

Don't worry, the weight will come off! Be careful of yogurt. It goes down easy but if you eat too much of it will stall your weight loss. I limited myself to 1 yogurt over the course of a day.

Good luck,

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Cheyenne,
Remember I had the sleeve surgery so I'm assuming my stomach is larger than a bypass stomach. I asked his assistant and she said 2 oz., which I can't believe. I was told (by the nut.) to eat slowly with small bites, and limit the time to 30 minutes.
Stop before you feel uncomfortable. I haven't had that problem. The doctor didn't actually give me a limit.
As far as yogurt goes, I tried the plain greek yogurt and had to keep from gagging. No problem on that front!
I may contact the office since I don't see the doc until the 23rd. Thanks for your reply!

Hi,

I had a similar experience after my sleeve procedure in December. I lost only about 5-7 lbs the first couple of weeks, but quickly made up for lost time! At my 1-month post-op visit, my surgeon held up his thumb and said "this is how big your stomach is!" It is a very narrow passage, with no curvature, so food goes down fairly easily for me. I still try to measure out food portions and chew each bite to the consistency of mush. I take in the recommended amount of protein, and definitely suggest Isopure drinks if you can find and tolerate them. There are several flavors - but my preference is grape. It takes a little time to figure out what will work for you - within the guidelines your surgeon has given you.

I have developed a completely new relationship with food. Since I consider my stomach "prime real estate," what goes in has to 1) be as healthful and nutritious as possible, and 2) taste good. I'm now about 5 months post-surgery and my successes (e.g. no more diabetes, dropping clothes sizes every other month and most of all - 90 lbs off my body that has been there for more than 30 years) have kept me on the straight and narrow. I still have continuing health issues that will, hopefully, eventually be resolved - and many of the same challenges everyone else has.

My point is - be patient with yourself and your weight loss. This surgery is a big change and it takes the body awhile to figure out what is going on and what it is supposed to do. If you are following your surgeon's instructions - it WILL come off. Hang in there! You can do this!

Hi,

I had a similar experience after my sleeve procedure in December. I lost only about 5-7 lbs the first couple of weeks, but quickly made up for lost time! At my 1-month post-op visit, my surgeon held up his thumb and said "this is how big your stomach is!" It is a very narrow passage, with no curvature, so food goes down fairly easily for me. I still try to measure out food portions and chew each bite to the consistency of mush. I take in the recommended amount of protein, and definitely suggest Isopure drinks if you can find and tolerate them. There are several flavors - but my preference is grape. It takes a little time to figure out what will work for you - within the guidelines your surgeon has given you.

I have developed a completely new relationship with food. Since I consider my stomach "prime real estate," what goes in has to 1) be as healthful and nutritious as possible, and 2) taste good. I'm now about 5 months post-surgery and my successes (e.g. no more diabetes, dropping clothes sizes every other month and most of all - 90 lbs off my body that has been there for more than 30 years) have kept me on the straight and narrow. I still have continuing health issues that will, hopefully, eventually be resolved - and many of the same challenges everyone else has.

My point is - be patient with yourself and your weight loss. This surgery is a big change and it takes the body awhile to figure out what is going on and what it is supposed to do. If you are following your surgeon's instructions - it WILL come off. Hang in there! You can do this!

Wow Cindy! You have done super well to lose 90 lb in 5 months :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Don't ya just love having to buy smaller clothes all the time. :)

Keep up the great work!

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne :)

About 30 lbs of that was lost in the 2 months prior to surgery, but I feel great about it. Yes, I love buying new clothes, as the others get too big. I'm just following the surgeon's instructions, and it is working.

Hello,
I'm in the exact same boat literally! As I was reading your post it was like I was writing it! I'm assuming this must be normal but I total feel your anxiety in this process.
God Bless and Good Luvk

Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,
That post of mine was last year, just after my gastric sleeve. It's been 19 months since my surgery and I've never had any rapid weight loss. It's been slow but steady and I am now down 95 pounds and very proud and happy. I have about 30 more pounds to go and I expect it will take quite awhile but I'm okay with that!
Just keep with the program your surgeon has set up and the weight will come off! Best of luck to you!
Gaye

Hello Cynthia,
That post of mine was last year, just after my gastric sleeve. It's been 19 months since my surgery and I've never had any rapid weight loss. It's been slow but steady and I am now down 95 pounds and very proud and happy. I have about 30 more pounds to go and I expect it will take quite awhile but I'm okay with that!
Just keep with the program your surgeon has set up and the weight will come off! Best of luck to you!
Gaye
Thank you so much!

Hello Cynthia,
Gaye

Congratulations Gaye!!! Wow, 95lbs is quite an accomplishment!! Thank you so much for sharing your weight loss story and please keep us all updated when the rest of the weight falls off. Best of luck to you :)

Hello Cynthia,
Gaye
Congratulations on your weight loss Gaye. I'm glad it appears to have sped up a little. How much has your clothing size changed?

Back