• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Embarrassing Moment

I hope that the time will come when I can look back on today and laugh but not just yet. This being a safe place to share, I know that you will laugh WITH me and not AT me when the time comes.

I was at the dermatologist sitting on a stool in front of a laser box, the size of a window, getting a laser treatment. I was wearing a hospital gown obviously made for Olive Oyl and not for my large economy size.

I have had 15 treatments already, enough for my co-pays to buy the laser. Suddenly one of the rollers on the stool, just broke. I sat there for a moment in shock when a second one broke. Now I suppose they will ask me to buy office furniture.

At 262 lbs, I am accustomed to being aware of airplane seats and fold up lawn chairs but it never occurred to me that a stool would be an issue.

If I had not made the commitment to the surgery that would have done it. June 29th can not come to soon for me.

Before finding this site, I would have eaten something to get over the embarrassment but thanks to all of you, not today. Say a little prayer for me because I am considering wearing a full face mask when I go back to the dermatologist on Tuesday. Caterina

Picture it: July 3, 2019, my presurgical body stood on a plastic lawn chair to hang up an awning on my deck. Next thing I know the chair completely gives, I fall off, knee first onto my deck. Ended up in the ER with a seriously bruised and swollen knee (it was a knee that I had massive surgery on previously). While not funny, I think a lot of us have similar stories. I can look back now and realize it could have been worse, but also SO grateful not to be in the same place now.

Picture it: July 3, 2019, my presurgical body stood on a plastic lawn chair to hang up an awning on my deck. Next thing I know the chair completely gives, I fall off, knee first onto my deck. Ended up in the ER with a seriously bruised and swollen knee (it was a knee that I had massive surgery on previously). While not funny, I think a lot of us have similar stories. I can look back now and realize it could have been worse, but also SO grateful not to be in the same place now.
Dalin', Just hearing the story made my new knees hurt.

Ah, Caterina, that sucks and I'm sorry you had to experience that embarrassment in public. (Privately, I've broken more than 1 piece of furniture). I'm really proud of you for not letting comfort food be your go to in this situation. You are so close. Just hang in there!

I can SO identify with you!! This week we attended our son’s grad school graduation in a basketball arena. I’m embarrassed enough because I now have to use a cane because of my knees that the surgeon won’t fix until my BMI is under 40. But to add to that, I went to sit in one of those tiny plastic seats and I didn’t fit. This is the first time this has ever happened to me (I ate my way through the pandemic) and I’ve never been more humiliated in my life. All this in front of my son’s girlfriend and friends.
Then today we went to a museum and asked for a wheelchair so I could enjoy the museum. They brought one out but I didn’t fit. Another humiliation. I ended up using a walker so couldn’t see as much as I wanted.
If I ever needed a reason to have this surgery this is it. My only hope is this surgery so I can start living again. My appt with the surgeon is May 25. I can’t wait but am nervous in case he thinks I’m not a good candidate for surgery, though I think I’ll be fine.

Oh I can related totally! Have you ever sat in a chair in a doctors waiting room and get up and the chair is stuck to your butt? I think we all have stories!!! BUT.... while on vacation they had a beautiful porch swing overlooking the dunes and ocean. I would have never tried it this time last year. But I felt confident I wasn't going to break it and so I had my happy face on and enjoyed that swing to it's fullest!!!

Oh I can related totally! Have you ever sat in a chair in a doctors waiting room and get up and the chair is stuck to your butt? I think we all have stories!!! BUT.... while on vacation they had a beautiful porch swing overlooking the dunes and ocean. I would have never tried it this time last year. But I felt confident I wasn't going to break it and so I had my happy face on and enjoyed that swing to it's fullest!!!
I was a freestanding hammock now because I know I won’t break it! Also those plastic folding camping chairs-I was always scared of breaking those.

YEAH!!!

Back