• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Energy post-surgery

Jniz

With Covid delays I was led to believe the earliest my gastric by-pass would be scheduled was in June or July. However; much to my surprise the Dr. told me last week it would be in May which is roughly 8 months instead of the 6 months required by insurance. By nature, I’m very inpatient and wanted the surgery preformed last year but, it has given me some time to get my head wrapped around life post-surgery. I’m am grateful to all of you who answered my questions directly or indirectly.

I am retired but have more energy than average similar to my Dad (genetics). Quite a bit of my energy comes from the high carb diet that is not working as well as it did when I was younger. There is a lot on my plate the rest of the year moving family, house projects, weddings, trips ect.

The question I’m asking and I know everyone is different after the first couple of months did you come to realize that your energy level has changed significantly? If so in what way? Should I lower my expectations on what tasks to take on?

I’m still fairly active and am on the lower end of the BMI scale to have surgery. In the past I have been much heavier than I am now but my body has paid the price with joint pain. I’m hopeful as many of you suggest the joint-pain is greatly diminished after surgery.

J

Congratulations ongetting that date. I know a lot of people here have talked about feeling sapped, post-op, but just the opposite happened to me. My body rejoiced at being freed from carrying that extra 100+ pounds of dead weight.

I dont know why, but I think people have different energy levels naturally. Life circumstances and depression also contribute. I set goals to hike to the top of peaks in the north cascades and everything fell into lockstep to make that happen.

I suffer from PTSD and major depression and weight loss/gain drives the severity of those symptoms.

But having lost my cute little figure and being discriminated against and insulted for being obese was a huge motivator to take back the power of choice drove me to success, and the surgery made it possible for me to succeed.

The more weight i lost, the more "normal" I felt. That is a statement that cant be diminished. I belonged to normal society, not to the fat, dysfunctional family where overeating was normalized. I had situational joy more often and that made me want to move and play.

Nowadays kids are sedentary, but the memory and sounds of kids running arou d the yard is one of those things that spikes my happiness. That gives me energy.

I joined the Y so I could train for hiking. But the act of going and being in a crowd of people who were all shapes and ages gave me a sense of being ordinary I'd never had. I used to feel like a big ugly festering walking zit. It was heaven to blend into the crowd.

Our energies matched and I didn't need more than
that.

You might notice a decrease in energy at first which is normal after any surgery as your body is healing. And since initially you might only take in 400-600 calories that can drain you of energy as well. However, once you start losing the weight and have recovered from the surgery you will start feeling more energetic. Just remember to take your vitamins! There is a time before and a time after surgery where they will tell you not to take them, but after that they are essential!

The first 6-12 weeks can be sort of up and down for folks. I've read some people's post of having energy issues for a few months post surgery. Conversely, I've read many posts of people being more energetic. I am definitely one of those. It is so much easier to move now. In the past I would avoid bending over if I could get away with it. I didn't want to crouch down because it was so awkward togetup. Knee pain, back pain etc, etc. I still have to be careful with my back, but it's way different than it was before.

We have 8 acres around our home, and it is soooooo much easier to take care of the property, finish projects more quickly, and generally be a better husband and father by being more active and engaged. Pre-surgery, I certainly did things, but I was definitely not at my best, and not where I wanted to be. It's a different story today. I'm constantly thinking about what hikes I'd like to do with my family, where I'd like to go to take some photos, what projects I want to finish. Even though I had projects I wanted to complete, I also dreaded them because I knew I'd be out of breath and ultra sweaty. Not anymore. I'm burning through projects now and enjoying it greatly, and now that spring is starting to show itself here in western Oregon, I've got things lining up that I'm excited to tackle. Now I just have to find the time!!!

I’m about 4.5 months post op and my energy levels are still lower than I expected, but that being said, I still have a lot of energy. I get a lot done, and I can do a lot with less pain at the end of the day. I sleep really deep, and I attribute that to the amount of energy I use up during the day.

I had a bit less energy during the first month, mostly due to the liquid diet, I think. Once I started eating actual foods, it got better. I have a ton of energy and you really cannot underestimate the effects on your joints. For every pound you lose, it takes 4lbs of pressure off of your knees. I mean, I haven't take up squats but I can easily get back up when I have to and walk without pain. Protein and Carbs have the same calorie per gram, so theoretically, you should get the same energy, which is what a calorie is, from upping your protein as you do from carbs.

Back