• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Everything hurts

stub46

I know I should start walking but I have so many pains every time I move. Hip, back and headachs. Any suggestions:confused:

Stub-I'm thinking I would call my doctor and ask for pain medication. There is no reason in the world anyone should have uncontrolled pain that keeps them from moving. Nothing works 100% but you should be at a level where you can at least move around. I'm a good one to talk. I take 2 RX pain meds and I still can't walk at a level that can be considered exercise but I need a hip replacement and won't be able to walk until after that's done and I have extensive PT. The meds help with my back pain and severe arthritis pain. The hip pain is much less than without the meds but it's not functional enough to walk without a walker in the house and I use a power wheelchair for longer distances out of the house. I will be starting water aerobics as soon as my burns heal. My doctor said no pool until completely healed. You might try water aerobics since it's no impact plus the warm pool water may give you some pain relief. Most gyms and the Y usually have a hot tub too which will help relax your muscles.

If it's hard to walk without pain, try working with weights and start out with four sets of 12 or four sets of 10 on the upper body. If you are able to stand up, put on your favorite music that makes you want to get up and move, and while standing in place, you can do movements to stretch out your upper and lower body. Almost like pilates stretching up and down, semi-squatting positions, but just try to keep moving at your pace. The more weight that you lose, the less pain you'll feel, and the more mobility you will have in order to exercise more frequently and efficiently.

Hi Linney,

I should be doing more - more often & have had a setback & what I feel to be enormous pain having my primary surgery for a l-a-r-g-e hiatal hernia repair & then the roux-en-y. Walking has been about all I'm ablre to handle at the moment. Oh, I forgot to mention that I had an accident and dislocated my right shoulder 3 weeks before the surgery. 2 days ago I took a tumble off of the 2nd to bottom step on the deck onto a concrete slad. I think I was more shook up than anything else though 2 days ago areas still smart, etc.

But what I'm trying to get at is that walking alone is just fine at first. We were told to get 60 mins per day but it doesn't have to be all at once. When I walk for a good distance I begin to feel something in me butt & hips - perhaps circulation? Well, I've sat on them for a long time w/a lot of weight so I think they're being liberated. Plus it's an area where we carry a lot of weight so maybe the walking is targeting an area of large fat reserves for energy since we get as much protein in every day to eliminate this process from going at our lean musle mass.

I say, start small and work forward. Perhaps free wts are a little too much. Maybe a lighter wt & less reps or back off for a bit. Personally I think the cardio trumps the other especially in the beginning. We need to get more energy and burn the fat & breathe easier w/less fat on our internal organs as soon as possible.

Listen to your body, it is smarter than we are. Next share your concerns w/your bariatric team. I have found out that my slew of serious night sweats was probably hormonal, I am 47. Also my anxiety & depression meds have been out of whack since the surgery. I've been advised that the bariatric folks aren't exactly sure how the dosage and absorption may change the job they had been doing & to see my pyschiatrist for a med check. Will make the appt tomorrow; Dr Gagrat specializes in pharmacology so he's the perfect person to address this situation.

Finally, for the past couple of days I have been saving my 2-8 oz glasses of skim milk for my am & pm meds to take with them. Honestly, I really believe I am beginning to see a difference vs taking them w/water alone. Perhaps they washed through too quickly w/the water through the open - who knows. But as I gain my self confidence ever so slowly I'm beginning to be able to tackle other things a bit better.

I will be going for another long walk today, by myself down to a nice park in the area that I thought it would take me more time to be able to get to due to the inclines of the streets on the way over. Thankfully our next door neighbor took me on Friday on his route that eliminates the great inclines & is mostly flat with a few inclines that I consider mini-interval training. I take my water with me, stop to sip & at the park there are places to sit down to rest briefly, then a nice incline & another set of picnic tables to rest if necessary.

Having this modified route to the park makes going there more exciting as I feel I'm getting a reward for my efforts. It's the little things that make a difference. In time I will start to build some more strength & endurance and work some of those sharper inclines into the walk but for now, with my insides still healing from enormous trauma, I'll take the flatter route to get the blood circulating better, fat burning - perhaps, cardio for strength with breathing, etc.

I hope you find a way to encourage yourself or find some non-food type reward for making the effort. A friend of mine also suggested joining the mall walkers since it's climate controlled & mostly older folks who aren't moving terribly fast & are really encouraging and friendly & will probably smile and be happy to see you joining them. Check the website for a local mall if you have one or call customer service for particulars. You could always go during business hours, too. -- just some ideas to encourage you.

Mary, Milwaukee WI - had surg 06/06/12

Mary I liked your comment about liberating your butt fat. Viva la butt!!
Your attitude towards exercise is also very good. You are doing what you can and giving yourself credit for baby steps. I think this is a good lesson.

That sounds great Mary, you're well on your way, I'm sorry to hear about your setbacks you've had recently. Since my knees were in bad shape, I have been doing isometrics, which is stationary exercise, and it involves squats, back bends, weights for the upper body, and a form of Tang So Do, which I use my muscles against my own body, like Zumba, Pilates, etc. I'm almost at goal, which would be 130 pounds. Everyone who sees me now says I should not lose any more weight that I look very thin, but my Surgeon wants to see me at that weight. I guess after a while you gain some weight back, but not much. I've lost a total of 195 pounds and am very pleased and also I'm a size 6 which I've never been in my adult life. So keep moving forward, stay focused, and keep moving! You're doing great!

Linney

Linny, Hello! I have fibromyalgia so understand the pain and not able to walk. It is very difficult. I would try a water walking class at your local YMCA, if you have one. They are great for taking the stress off your muscles so you can exercise without feeling anything. Now I wont lie, you will feel it afterwards, but by exercising in the water it really helps with no pain until you can get to a point to exercise without the water if you chose too.

Last edited:
I know I should start walking but I have so many pains every time I move. Hip, back and headachs. Any suggestions:confused:

Stub, how's it going now? I read this post and my heart goes out to you. I'm hoping to hear you are past the pain phase and doing well. Please let us all know.

Letrell

Back