• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Excited and scared

ACoop1163

Hi everyone! I’ve been thinking about bariatric surgery for about a month only because I didn’t think I would qualify. But I have been thinking about sustainable weight loss for more than half my life. I’ve tried just about everything — even hypnosis. I’d lose the pounds but whenever I’d stop the good habits because of life events the pounds would return WITH FRIENDS!

Now I’ve been told I can start the weight loss surgery journey. I’m very excited and very scared! I’ll be on the journey but my husband won’t. I’m praying the process won’t be insurmountable.

My husband wasn't really on board in the beginning. I told him what I am about to tell you **even though you did not say your husband is currently less than supportive and I am making no assumptions.

You are allowed to make your own medical decisions. He doesn't have to understand it, approve or give his permission. He just has to respect your body autonomy and your right to make up your own mind.

I had my bypass June of 2020. I lost weight. I cooked and ate healthier foods. But, I did not stop him from eating whatever. I just requested that he not ask me if I wanted whatever crap he was grabbing.

I started feeling amazing and becoming more active. He started thinking maybe he would like to be able to ride a bike or climb the sand dunes instead of always having to quit because he was out of breath. And so, my husband had the sleeve Feb 2022.

The paths may converge but love and respect will always keep you moving in the same direction.

Back