• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling Clueless re: meal plan for VSG

debimb

I am 3 weeks post-op VSG. I have been doing pretty well with full liquids. I got my protein intake and my fluid intake in. My problem is that the proteins that I used (New Whey) and others were very low cal. I was averaging 600 cal/day. Now in week 3 when I am eating puree food I am not able to get enough calories in and I am feeling punk. I am taking bariatric vitamins. I get about 62oz water/day along with my protein. Breakfast I do a new whey with water (180 cal and 42g protein) I sip water until lunch. Lunch, I had greek yogurt (80 cal and 10 g protein) snack I have 1/2 Quest bar (80 cal and good protein). Dinner I had 2 eggs tonight (160 cal 14G protein). That's only 600 cal's. Around 4pm I was feeling week and very punk. My friend at work told me that I needed to take in more. I sipped on a Premier protein shake and in about an hour felt a bit better. I was only able to get about 1/2 the shake in.

I have been increasing my activity, walking to meet my fitbit goal of 5000 steps/day. Last week I walked in the gym and averaged 7000 steps. I am looking at my burn rate and I am really in a negative ratio.
I have lost 15 lbs since surgery, but I don't have that much more to lose (38 lbs) so I know I will lose slower than most.
Does anyone have any good advice on meal plan patterns? CHO intake?
I appreciate any help you all have to give. Thanks..........

I am 3 weeks post-op VSG. I have been doing pretty well with full liquids. I got my protein intake and my fluid intake in. My problem is that the proteins that I used (New Whey) and others were very low cal. I was averaging 600 cal/day. Now in week 3 when I am eating puree food I am not able to get enough calories in and I am feeling punk. I am taking bariatric vitamins. I get about 62oz water/day along with my protein. Breakfast I do a new whey with water (180 cal and 42g protein) I sip water until lunch. Lunch, I had greek yogurt (80 cal and 10 g protein) snack I have 1/2 Quest bar (80 cal and good protein). Dinner I had 2 eggs tonight (160 cal 14G protein). That's only 600 cal's. Around 4pm I was feeling week and very punk. My friend at work told me that I needed to take in more. I sipped on a Premier protein shake and in about an hour felt a bit better. I was only able to get about 1/2 the shake in.

I have been increasing my activity, walking to meet my fitbit goal of 5000 steps/day. Last week I walked in the gym and averaged 7000 steps. I am looking at my burn rate and I am really in a negative ratio.
I have lost 15 lbs since surgery, but I don't have that much more to lose (38 lbs) so I know I will lose slower than most.
Does anyone have any good advice on meal plan patterns? CHO intake?
I appreciate any help you all have to give. Thanks..........

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

You may be overdoing the exercise, you are only 3 weeks post op. You really do need to heal. 600 calories isn't bad if your not spending all your calories on exercising. Yes you want to walk but your body has been through a great trauma and it needs some time to recover! Tuna and Salmon are great nutritious foods as are cottage cheese, applesauce and eggs. I would take it easy on your walking until about 8-12 wks out.

Good luck, :)

Cheyenne

I agree with Cheyenne, I think your over doing the exc. instead of water in your shakes use milk once in a while it will give you more calories and protein.

Back