• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling discouraged

Suthy

So I had my appointment with the surgeon yesterday (not the one who did my procedure, she‘s out having a baby). He thinks I have stones in my common bile duct, due to my labs. I have to do an ultrasound and a MRI prior to getting my gallbladder out. If I have these stones in the bile duct, I’ll have to have an ERCP, which is complicated due to my “new anatomy“ from the bypass. I’m feeling really overwhelmed by all of this. Best case scenario, simple gallbladder removal with minimum of 3 weeks off of work. Worse case scenario…….my mind is reeling. Possible drains, scar tissue, leaking……sometimes it stinks knowing what could happen.

I'm sorry it isn't immediately clear cut for you. Worrying about something that may happen only makes you live through the worst case twice. It is a possibility. So is straight forward gall bladder surgery. And complications from your worst case are not a sure thing either. Yes, your new anatomy will automatically complicate things. But are leaks, drains, etc a sure thing with ERCP or possible?

Breathe! And take things as they come. Easier said than done I know. I'm hoping for the best case scenario for you.

I understand how another follow-up surgery is scary and the last thing you want right now. I hope that you find peace and patience as you wait for the relief we are hoping the outcome will bring. My GI doctor who did my pre-op scopes discovered I have a small length of Barret's esophagus at the base before my stomach. He said it tested for a small but high enough risk of cancer within 5 years. He said it was not a large enough area to be an emergency so we could watch it for a year and scope again next Spring to check on it and he put me on a different med than the surgeon had me on in the meantime. I was relieved I would have a year to heal and lose weight before another procedure, but it is still scary to have something else going on.

ii have to do an ultrasound and a MRI prior to getting my gallbladder out. If I have these stones in the bile duct, I’ll have to have an ERCP, which is complicated due to my “new anatomy“ from the bypass. I’m feeling really overwhelmed by all of this. Best case scenario, simple gallbladder removal with minimum of 3 weeks off of work. Worse case scenario…….my mind is reeling. Possible drains, scar tissue, leaking……sometimes it stinks knowing what could happen.

I don't know if this can make you feel better or if I'm just commiserating with you, but when I had my RYGB 17 years ago I had to have an open procedure, 7" vertical incision from my navel to my sternum, and had to recover in bed for the first week post-op, then go back to have my staples out a few days after that. But my surgeon routinely takes the gallbladder at the same time, so no additional problems there. But it was very painful and I envied all the people who came after me and had the surgery the way it's done now.

I've been reading the posts here ever since I had my surgery and a lot of people just need a few days off post-op. To me it seems like a visit to the dentist compared to the way it used to be. Of course, your situation is obviously complicated. But I don't think you have a lot to worry about. Will you be under general anesthesia? I'm guessing you'll also be having an open procedure.

Sometimes, like you say, it stinks knowing what might happen. But maybe you should schedule some more time to find out how realistic your fears are. I haven't read many horror stories in this group, though it can be tough on some people more than others. Most of the members whose stories I've read recovered without a lot of difficulty. I definitely feel for you, though, since you have to go through at least two procedures because of the stones.

Maybe focus on the serious weight you're going to lose and the great figure you're going to have, the clothes you can buy, and the healthy new diet you'll develop and end up feeling like a million bucks! And make sure you measure your neck, upper arms, thighs, waist and any other place that will change your lovely physical self in addition to your health. I'm going to attach my before & after pix here so you can see why I was so grateful afterward.

If you look at all my pix, you'll see all the food I've learned to cook and bake using healthier ingredients, too. And the bonus for me was that I was able to go hiking and camping all the time, which is my passion now.

Best of luck to you. I hope when it's all over, you'll be so happy you did it because it will take away so many problems and pains.

I'm sorry it isn't immediately clear cut for you. Worrying about something that may happen only makes you live through the worst case twice. It is a possibility. So is straight forward gall bladder surgery. And complications from your worst case are not a sure thing either. Yes, your new anatomy will automatically complicate things. But are leaks, drains, etc a sure thing with ERCP or possible?

Breathe! And take things as they come. Easier said than done I know. I'm hoping for the best case scenario for you.
Thank you Missy, I definitely need to breath! I was having a moment, and really appreciate the support. I typically hit things head on, but this just caught me off guard. I’m feeling better about it today.

I understand how another follow-up surgery is scary and the last thing you want right now. I hope that you find peace and patience as you wait for the relief we are hoping the outcome will bring. My GI doctor who did my pre-op scopes discovered I have a small length of Barret's esophagus at the base before my stomach. He said it tested for a small but high enough risk of cancer within 5 years. He said it was not a large enough area to be an emergency so we could watch it for a year and scope again next Spring to check on it and he put me on a different med than the surgeon had me on in the meantime. I was relieved I would have a year to heal and lose weight before another procedure, but it is still scary to have something else going on.
Thank you for the support! Wishing the best of outcomes with your follow up scopes!

I don't know if this can make you feel better or if I'm just commiserating with you, but when I had my RYGB 17 years ago I had to have an open procedure, 7" vertical incision from my navel to my sternum, and had to recover in bed for the first week post-op, then go back to have my staples out a few days after that. But my surgeon routinely takes the gallbladder at the same time, so no additional problems there. But it was very painful and I envied all the people who came after me and had the surgery the way it's done now.

I've been reading the posts here ever since I had my surgery and a lot of people just need a few days off post-op. To me it seems like a visit to the dentist compared to the way it used to be. Of course, your situation is obviously complicated. But I don't think you have a lot to worry about. Will you be under general anesthesia? I'm guessing you'll also be having an open procedure.

Sometimes, like you say, it stinks knowing what might happen. But maybe you should schedule some more time to find out how realistic your fears are. I haven't read many horror stories in this group, though it can be tough on some people more than others. Most of the members whose stories I've read recovered without a lot of difficulty. I definitely feel for you, though, since you have to go through at least two procedures because of the stones.

Maybe focus on the serious weight you're going to lose and the great figure you're going to have, the clothes you can buy, and the healthy new diet you'll develop and end up feeling like a million bucks! And make sure you measure your neck, upper arms, thighs, waist and any other place that will change your lovely physical self in addition to your health. I'm going to attach my before & after pix here so you can see why I was so grateful afterward.

If you look at all my pix, you'll see all the food I've learned to cook and bake using healthier ingredients, too. And the bonus for me was that I was able to go hiking and camping all the time, which is my passion now.

Best of luck to you. I hope when it's all over, you'll be so happy you did it because it will take away so many problems and pains.
Thanks for the support Diane! I’m happy I had the bypass as I have been able to meet my goal weight and even surpass it! I think my experience with giving care to patients that have had less than desirable outcomes after abdominal surgery, has me perseverating on worse case scenarios. They say knowledge is power, but sometimes it just scares the shit out of you!

Yes being a medical caregiver of any kind would definitely color your vision of your own healthcare. My husband works at a hospital and he was very anxious for years and basically forbade me from having bariatric surgery because of some of the outcomes he witnessed. It wasn't until friends of ours had been there, done that, and are okay and encouraging, and I suffered through 2 or 3 more failed attempts on my own to lose weight, that he let me make my own decision. He has been very supportive of me, so this is not a husband bashing statement. I could not have been as ok with anything without the loving support of my family.

So I had my appointment with the surgeon yesterday (not the one who did my procedure, she‘s out having a baby). He thinks I have stones in my common bile duct, due to my labs. I have to do an ultrasound and a MRI prior to getting my gallbladder out. If I have these stones in the bile duct, I’ll have to have an ERCP, which is complicated due to my “new anatomy“ from the bypass. I’m feeling really overwhelmed by all of this. Best case scenario, simple gallbladder removal with minimum of 3 weeks off of work. Worse case scenario…….my mind is reeling. Possible drains, scar tissue, leaking……sometimes it stinks knowing what could happen.
Just an update after having all the imaging. I of course, over reacted and no stones or infection/inflammation in my bile duct. Gallbladder looked okay but he still wants to remove it based on mild symptoms. I said no. I don’t want another surgery right now. We settled on follow up with labs in 3 months. I will watch the high fat foods, which I should be doing anyways, and maintain good water intake.

Just an update after having all the imaging. I of course, over reacted and no stones or infection/inflammation in my bile duct. Gallbladder looked okay but he still wants to remove it based on mild symptoms. I said no. I don’t want another surgery right now. We settled on follow up with labs in 3 months. I will watch the high fat foods, which I should be doing anyways, and maintain good water intake.
So happy for you for the good news!! I think you are smart to not jump into another surgery and take the wait and watch attitude! Congrats and i hope you continue to get good results on future testing!

Back