• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling hungry every half hour!!!! OHHH NOOOOO

Kdrivera

I had my sleeve surgery January 9th, so I am almost 9 months post op. I have lost about 100 lbs, and I feel great!! However, I recently noticed that I have been hungry and eating more. I DO NOT LIKE THIS FEELING! I do not want to go back to where I was before the surgery. This is what happens: I eat something, and I cannot ever eat all of it, and I don't force myself to at all. Than like 20 minutes to a half hour later I'm hungry again and feel like eating, and sometimes I do. Does anyone understand why this is? I mean before recently I did not feel like eating at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to replace this feeling of hunger half hour after I eat? Do you think instead of eating actual food, a protein shake may suffice? Feedback greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited:
I had my sleeve surgery January 9th, so I am almost 9 months post op. I have lost about 100 lbs, and I feel great!! However, I recently noticed that I have been hungry and eating more. I DO NOT LIKE THIS FEELING! I do not want to go back to where I was before the surgery. This is what happens: I eat something, and I cannot ever eat all of it, and I don't force myself to at all. Than like 20 minutes to a half hour later I'm hungry again and feel like eating, and sometimes I do. Does anyone understand why this is? I mean before recently I did not feel like eating at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to replace this feeling of hunger half hour after I eat? Do you think instead of eating actual food, a protein shake my suffice? Feedback greatly appreciated thanks

I am 10 months out from my surgery as well.

BTW update your stats!

Lost 100 pounds that is terrific.

I have lost 94. My high point was 290.

Anyway, I hear my stomach growl now and then. This is a mental thing more than a physical thing. I am not hungry. I don't equate stomach noises to hunger anymore.

So, do all the tricks. When feeling "hungry" have a liquid. Perhaps, just have an Isopure protein drink, which gives you protein for not a lot of calories. Then wait another 30 minutes and go about doing something else.

IGNORE IT !!

Get back to your nutritionist. Make sure you have the proper balance in your new diet. Be sure you are getting all the protein you need; perhaps you may need more. Make sure you are NOT falling into the carb trap, which can induce hunger feelings.

Talk to your group. If not in a group, get into one. I go monthly. It is fantastic to surround yourself with successful people. They can all lend their experience to you as well.

Also, talk to your bariatric psychologist and work on this.

I know in my group there are a few beautiful ladies that are 7 years post op and still go to their bariatric psychologist since they still battle a lot of emotional issues around food.

Good luck.

Best wishes,

Don't give up.

Thanks for allowing me to cheer you on since it also helps me to cheer myself on!

Ralph

How long are you waiting after eating to start drinking again? The program I am in asks that you don't drink with meals at all, stop drinking 20 minutes before and don't start drinking again for 30 minutes after. Also, they say if you are not getting enough protein you may also feel hungry sooner.

Of course, this is just what I have been told. I haven't had surgery yet. I am looking forward to it though!

Donnakat

How long are you waiting after eating to start drinking again? The program I am in asks that you don't drink with meals at all, stop drinking 20 minutes before and don't start drinking again for 30 minutes after. Also, they say if you are not getting enough protein you may also feel hungry sooner.

Of course, this is just what I have been told. I haven't had surgery yet. I am looking forward to it though!

Donnakat

Most programs tell you not to eat and drink at the same time and to allow a 1/2 hour before eating or drinking not to to the other.

As you progress into more post op situations you will find that you can drink a little while eating, but not too good.

Ralph

Have you spoke to your surgeon about this?

You may be having stomach ulcers, irritation, gall bladder issues or intolerances to certain foods.

In many cases stomach irritation can and will manifest through "hunger" pains or hunger signal.

My ulcers have always shown the hunger related signals as a major symptom.

I was thinking the same thing. Stomach acid can feel like hunger. If not that, I will tell you what I have found. I don't need to eat every 2 hours. That doesn't mean I can't physically, but I do not need to. I eat and then wait to drink and then wait at least 4 hours before I eat again. It does't matter if I think I am hungry as I know I have eaten enough. I find the less often I eat the less hungry I am. Try to experiment and see what happens. If it persists, see her surgeon to make sure everything is okay.

Thank you everyone for the great feed back. I find that I get a lot of heartburn actually and am always needed to take pepcid or tums. I did not know that stomach ulcers or issues with my stomach could set off feelings of hunger, very interesting. I definitely need to get back in to a group and see my nutritionist. I have a very busy hectic life style, so sometimes these things are quite hard for me to do, however I know I need to find time. Thanks for the great feedback!!

I was thinking the same thing. Stomach acid can feel like hunger. If not that, I will tell you what I have found. I don't need to eat every 2 hours. That doesn't mean I can't physically, but I do not need to. I eat and then wait to drink and then wait at least 4 hours before I eat again. It does't matter if I think I am hungry as I know I have eaten enough. I find the less often I eat the less hungry I am. Try to experiment and see what happens. If it persists, see her surgeon to make sure everything is okay.

One of the points to eating a small meal every 2 hours is to help keep the stomach acids in check as well as keep your nutrition levels maintained so you are less likely to feel compelled to "binge" or "gorge".

Personally I would check in with your surgeon especially now that you mentioned to acid indigestion issues. I have a very long history, prior to my R-N-Y and as a child of ulcers, GERD and esophageal insufficiency issues with a comorbid trigger of respiratory issues.
Trust me you do not want to get to a point of reflux with a potential for aspiration...

Thank you everyone for the great feed back. I find that I get a lot of heartburn actually and am always needed to take pepcid or tums. I did not know that stomach ulcers or issues with my stomach could set off feelings of hunger, very interesting. I definitely need to get back in to a group and see my nutritionist. I have a very busy hectic life style, so sometimes these things are quite hard for me to do, however I know I need to find time. Thanks for the great feedback!!

One of the by-products of surgery is the burping after the meals.

I don't view it as heartburn, although it is similar. It is the small stomach and eating rate. Maybe it is heartburn who knows. In any event even 11 months out almost, when I eat I still burp. I view it like a baby with a small stomach. A little food goes in and you have to get the gas out; not necessarily heartburn at all.

Yes, I am on Pepcid 40mg to protect against getting an ulcer. I also have another med if I need to take ibuprofen for aching occasionally.

Back