• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling lost

Janet073

I've been doing so well, until the past week. Apparently, I'm not eating enough, am dehydrated, throwing ketones through my urine and have actually been exercising too much. I had felt like a million bucks from about 4 days after surgery until a week ago. I don't give up easily and never have but I'm really feeling like if this could be reversed....I'd do it tomorrow. I'm not even really sure as to why....I just do.

WELCOME to the Forum Janet!

You have lost so much weight! Your down 86 pounds from where you started. AWESOME!!! You don't want to reverse your surgery, just feel better!

First thing to make you feel better, eat more protein. Chicken, fish eggs, beef, beans, some tuna, or salmon on a cracker. Whatever you like. A little at a time, often ( walk by the fridge grab a small chunk of chicken) with lots of water or tea or Crystal Light or whatever you like to drink. Sip sip sip. Do you like salads? Do you like green beans? Tomatoes? Green peppers? Lots of vitamins but not too many calories. Take your vitamins and supplements every day always! Don't miss out or you will feel bad. Cut your exercise way back or stop it altogether until you feel good again. There are lots of healthy foods that won't mess up your weight loss that will make you feel great again! You don't really want to undo the surgery, you just want to feel well again. You don't really want to go back to 361 pounds, trust me on this. You just want to feel better. You can still lose weight and still be healthy! Protein, protein, protein!!! Vitamins, supplements!!! Drink your fluids!!!! Lots of fluids!!!

Let us know how you are doing!

Cheyenne

Janet, in re-reading your post, you are only 4 wks out from surgery. Depending on your doctor, you may not be able to eat meat yet. I was able to eat fish and eggs at 4 wks out. White flakey fish, Tuna, or Salmon mixed with a little miracle whip on a cracker (Ritz cracker 15 calories) scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs. Of course there is always protein shakes, too.

Good Luck

Cheyenne

Not feeling as lost...Thank you.

Cheyenne,

I found out I was exercising a bit too much and wasn't able to properly eat my pureed foods either. My surgeon had to stretch my esophagus a but. Most . Of the pain has now subsided. I should have been more proactive but thought everything was normal. All of this is new to me too! Lol. Aftet about 15-18 bags of fluid and probably every known nausea drug known to man, things are getting better. He said I will probably have to put up with the nausea for awhile because nothing is working there. It takes the edge off for about 15 minutes though. I will persevere though...failure and going back isn't an option. Well, except for the fact that I'm back on a clear liquid diet for awhile. That's a bit limited too because I'm alergic to aspartame. That's still ok though. :) Thank you for responding to me!!! I sure hope you feel as wonderful as you look!!! That's my main goal! I want to feel fabulous!!! :)

Thank you,
Janet

Janet, I'm so glad you are doing better! You will be feeling great again in no time! :)

Thank you for the complement :cool: I feel really great and I am so happy!

I did have a setback at about 10 months post op. I had to have my gallbladder removed because I lost so much weight that I ruined my gallbladder. All the fat is processed through the gallbladder as it leaves the body. My surgeon left a gallstones in me that got lodged near my kidneys and they inserted a large hose in me to try to remove it without major surgery which was unsuccessful at first, they had to leave the hose in for 10 weeks and eventually they got the stone out. My body rejected the garden-size hose inserted in my abdomen and I was very sick for about 3 months, I was throwing up constantly and I couldn't eat. I felt as if I was going to die. I was on IV' s and in and out of the hospital constantly. They couldn't remove the stone easily because of my gastric bypass which had rerouted my intestine and the stone was in a bad place to remove. It was pure hell for months but finally I got better. Even with all that happened to me I don't regret my weight loss surgery for a single second. Before I was so heavy that I felt my life was over. My gastric bypass gave me my life back! I feel wonderful now and a million times better than before my weight loss surgery. My health has improved, my sleep apnea gone, off my high blood pressure meds, the list goes on and on. My main problem now is my knees which is bone on bone from when I was so overweight. I have an appointment with a orthopaedic surgeon in about 2 weeks and hopefully will get my knees fixed.

Hope that all goes well for you and you will be back to feeling wonderful again soon!

Cheyenne

doing bettet

Cheyenne,

I feel very fortunate that my gall bladder was removed 16 years ago then. They say I'm going to have to get used to being nauseous. Nothing is working but I know I'm still blessed. I'm so sorry you had the problems that you had. I'm so ready to go home tomorrow! I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat, so please forgive me. I just want to start feeling the way I did a couple weeks ago before I got sick.

Thank you again,
Janet

Ah Janet, It is so sad to see you so unhappy. Not feeling well can do that to you. Congratulations on your weight loss, that is fantastic. Don't overdo. Make sure you do what the doctor tells you. Maybe we all need some sunshine. Hope you feel better. :)

Ah Janet, It is so sad to see you so unhappy. Not feeling well can do that to you. Congratulations on your weight loss, that is fantastic. Don't overdo. Make sure you do what the doctor tells you. Maybe we all need some sunshine. Hope you feel better. :)

Hi Grandmalinda!

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

Cheyenne and Grandmalinda,

I will be SOOO happy when the water weight from all of the fluid they gave me comes off. UGH!!! Gaining back 24 lbs that quickly is taking its toll! I know it won't take that long to take off, or at least I sure hope so. I'm hoping to feel good enough to go to church tomorrow. I suppose I should go back to bed now. My Rosie (Mini Dachshund) is more than ready too. lol. Have a wonderful night ladies and sleep tight. :) Thank you for both of you for being here for me!

Janet,

My turn to say welcome.

In the early go it can be difficult and it sounds like you are having more than your share of issues.

They will be all behind you soon.

I am happy that you did the right thing by going back to your surgeon so that he could help to make things better for you.

A few months from now this issues will be a distant memory and you will be feeling a whole lot better.

Some things may stay with you.

For me, I always get the "belches" when consuming vegetables. I am always fighting the eat slow concept. So, when I eat veggies I have to go real slow. I belch anyhow, but it is OK. I get them down. No sick feeling unless I eat too fast.

It is a personal learning experience for each of us.

Staying hydrated is always an issue. As time goes by that gets easier too. Your little stomach will stretch a little making for comfort.

I remember only being able to get a single soft boiled egg down in the early go once I got on to real foods. Today a 1 year and nine months I can have 2 eggs and a small slice of toast sometimes 2 slices. But boy am I full when I finish and yes I do eat slowly.

So, keep up the good work.

Ralph

I've been doing so well, until the past week. Apparently, I'm not eating enough, am dehydrated, throwing ketones through my urine and have actually been exercising too much. I had felt like a million bucks from about 4 days after surgery until a week ago. I don't give up easily and never have but I'm really feeling like if this could be reversed....I'd do it tomorrow. I'm not even really sure as to why....I just do.
Hi Janet,
I would call what you're going thru as "buyer's remorse" what did I just do? Oh the nights I wanted to cry my eyes out!!!! We took this road in order to be a healthier and happier person. We decided it was time to live out our lives pain free. You'll go through times where you won't feel up to par, and other days, you'll feel energized and excited as well. The hardest part of this journey usually is the beginning. Becoming accustomed to a new way of life. A new attitude towards food, and an adjustment that will be on-going as you proceed with each phase of your weight-loss journey. Nothing every comes easy that is worth the fight. You'll feel better each day and each week, and each month, and then you'll look back and say to yourself, wow! I'm doing it! I'm succeeded with what I set out to do and I not only feel the change from within, but I'm seeing the change on the outside as well!!!! Hydration is key for this journey, and most of us as I've written in one of my blogs the importance of water. Many of us were not used to hydrating, and only felt comfort and satisfaction by eating. Make it a daily goal to drink your water, whether you need to drink it very cold, with cucumbers, lemons, or blueberries in it, whatever you have to do to accomplish your hydration goal, do it! I bought a container that indicates the amount of water I should be drinking, and for me it's 74-75 ounces per day. Purchase a water container and whatever your doctor's recommendation of water intake for your program is, make it your personal goal to meet that requirement. If you perspire a lot and your urine is still dark, that can be a red flag that you're dehydrated. I am mindful of my water intake first and foremost for exercising at peak performance. Hang in there, you wont be sorry.

My follow up appointment is finally this Thursday. I'm really praying that I can start eating pureed things again. I'm feeling much better and staying hydrated now, so I'm sure I will getvthe green or yellow light! :D All of the water weight has come off now too! Thank you for your support!

Thank you so much, Linney! I'm doing better now. The hydration is still a bit of a battle. I'm drinking tons but adsorption seems to still be a bit of a problem. I know how it feels when I need to drink more now too. I think that helps tremendously! I know that I'm very blessed to even have the opportunity at this new life and I do pray for patience as I am an instant gratification person. That's a very dangerous mind to have and it makes much more sense to me now as to how and why food has always been such a comfort to me. CONGRATULATIONS ON DROPPING 200 POUNDS!!! I can not even begin to comprehend what that would be like! I do know that I Already know how wonderful it feels to be healthier already! :D

Hi Janet,
I would call what you're going thru as "buyer's remorse" what did I just do? Oh the nights I wanted to cry my eyes out!!!! We took this road in order to be a healthier and happier person. We decided it was time to live out our lives pain free. You'll go through times where you won't feel up to par, and other days, you'll feel energized and excited as well. The hardest part of this journey usually is the beginning. Becoming accustomed to a new way of life. A new attitude towards food, and an adjustment that will be on-going as you proceed with each phase of your weight-loss journey. Nothing every comes easy that is worth the fight. You'll feel better each day and each week, and each month, and then you'll look back and say to yourself, wow! I'm doing it! I'm succeeded with what I set out to do and I not only feel the change from within, but I'm seeing the change on the outside as well!!!! Hydration is key for this journey, and most of us as I've written in one of my blogs the importance of water. Many of us were not used to hydrating, and only felt comfort and satisfaction by eating. Make it a daily goal to drink your water, whether you need to drink it very cold, with cucumbers, lemons, or blueberries in it, whatever you have to do to accomplish your hydration goal, do it! I bought a container that indicates the amount of water I should be drinking, and for me it's 74-75 ounces per day. Purchase a water container and whatever your doctor's recommendation of water intake for your program is, make it your personal goal to meet that requirement. If you perspire a lot and your urine is still dark, that can be a red flag that you're dehydrated. I am mindful of my water intake first and foremost for exercising at peak performance. Hang in there, you wont be sorry.

Hello Linney,

As usual you manage to come to this forum with inspiration.

Great insight.

I hope you are doing well.

Janet - I am delighted to hear that your situation has improved. Waiting to hear back from you after your doctor's visit.

Ralph

Hi Janet,

Just writing to say hi and hope everything is going well. I finally have my date and can't wait to get on the losers bench. Sept 23 I start the liquid diet on Sept. 9. I just hope I can do everything right. Haven't seen you on lately Hope all is well. Take care.:rolleyes:

Hi, Grandmalinda!

I think you will do just fine. I'm not going to lie and say that it's easy, because it isn't. However, I do believe that it's completely worth it!!! This is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done but it is also one of the most rewarding and has the best short and long term benefits!!! God Bless You!!!

HI EVERYBODY!!! As you know, I had my appointment on Thursday the 3rd. :D I am now back on the pureed diet and very happy to be! I made it without cheating or eating before I was supposed to. WOW...that was so difficult but well worth it!!! I am now down 90 pounds from where I started approximately a year ago!!! WOO HOO!!! I actually got into a size 16W pair of jeans yesterday. I haven't worn a size 16W since 8th grade!!! NO KIDDING!!! I still weigh 271, but I'm fine with that, compared to the 361! :D Time to go make some scrambled eggs!!! Thank you all so very much for your support and sincere words and kindness. You have helped me tremendously!!!

Back