• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling overwhelmed

Kathi_S

After reading some of what other people are going through, I feel like a whiner. There are so many things going on and I just feel so overwhelmed.

Next Tuesday, my surgeon is supposed to set my surgery date. With any luck, that will still happen.

As some of you may recall, I had an abnormality discovered on a recent mammogram, and was scheduled for a mammogram guided biopsy. Unfortunately, they were unable to get a biopsy, and I am now scheduled for an MRI, with possibl MRI guided biopsy. This may end up postponing my surgery. It has definitely not helped my anxiety.

Also, now that I am getting closer to my surgery date, I've had to switch some of my medications to crushable ones, mainly my antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication. I started the new medication a week ago, but it takes about 6 weeks to adjust to changes in these meds, so I am not feeling the full therapeutic benefits yet.

One of my very first questions on this forum was about chewing everything 20 times. I was having a hard time with that, as it was making my gums really sore. I discovered last week that it was due to a poor fitting lower partial denture. I went to the dentist, they did a soft realign, and the partial sits firmly in place, but my gums are still very sore. I can only keep the partial in place for part of the day until my gums heal.

I also really suck at logging my food. To all of you that do it, how the heck do you do it? With all the trouble I've had with chewing, I am afraid my BMI may have dropped too low, and my logging won't be able to support my efforts to keep my calories up.

Thank you for letting me whine.

Whining is allowed, but put a clock on it and move forward. I made a paper chart with check boxes, which not only worked for tracking but gave me tremendous self-esteem. No thinking necessary!

I had a little electronic organizer--a palm pilot-- and used that, too. As the pounds came off, I had this wonderful way to track and feel proud at the same time. This was way before smart phones, but if you have a phone, you can download tracking apps and set alarms.

I lost 35 pounds in the first month and 25 in the second. I was down 75 pounds by the end of the third. After that, I lost about 15 a month, then hit a loooooong stall. So it took 14 months to drop 115 pounds, but I was already hiking, working out at the YMCA and setting goal after goal.

The trick to tracking is JUST DO IT! You will succeed but keep in mind that you wanted this so badly, you actually put your body through surgery.

You still have to deal with the gremlins of your eating disorder, but fight them with simple affirmations. They work! There's a book I've recommended before called The Only Diet There Is and that changed my life. It isnt a food diet; it's a diet from negative thinking.

In light of all that, tracking becomes an element among all the elements of changing your life. Don't let it get big and scary. Enjoy it, and enjoy your food. Chewing is a trivial aspect of your entire plan. Don't let it become a wall you can't climb over. Combine all your tools and get on with living. That's obviously what you want to do or you never would even considered surgery.

Do you have a food tracking app? Most people eat the same things over and over. Once you get those things in, they pop up almost automatically in any food tracking app. My app allows me to have "favorites", save recipes so that I don't have to input every ingredient, every time and even save "Meals" for those foods that I regularly eat together.
For example, I have "BREAKFAST" saved as my overnight oatmeal recipe (banana, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, protein powder), my coffee (espresso, high protein milk), my vitamins (4) and my fiber supplement. Instead of putting each item and the measurements in the app, I type BR and "BREAKFAST" comes up, listing every single thing, in the correct portions.
At a year out, I no longer track every bite, every day. But on the days I DO track, nothing goes in my mouth until it's logged. Period. That's the only way I can make sure everything gets logged because if I do it later, I'll forget something. I hope this helps. And I'm sending positive thoughts your way for your upcoming mammogram. I hope it goes well and doesn't postpone your surgery!

I also use Baritastic. I am also a big fan of MyFitnessPal. MyFitnessPal also keeps track of all of your macros and currently has a better database of foods, especially for fast or processed foods. Baritastic allows you to set vitamin reminder and has a stop watch for your 30 minutes before and after meals. They are also really great about updating their food database quickly. If you find a food that they don't have yet, you can scan the QR code and take a pic of the front product and the nutritional info and they will add it within 48 hours. Both can be linked to your FitBit if you have one,

I think the logging thing is probably more a result of being overwhelmed by everything else. The worrying and waiting over the breast issue (I can't get the MRI until the end of the month) so the MRI guided biopsy will likely be another 3 week wait. I wish they could just do them together.

My surgery date is supposed to be set for early August, but my primary care provider doubts they will do they surgery until the breast issue is resolved. I see my surgeon Tuesday so I will know more then.

I know a lot of my problem now is the change in antidepressant and not yet being at a therapeutic dose. I will talk to my doctor about this tomorrow.

I am also going to revisit my dentist. The realign they did is holding my partial in place but it is causing agony on my gums. They as so inflamed I only wear the partial when leaving the house. Actually looking forward to liquid diet.

I am trying to hang onto the positive attitude I started out with. I thought I was so prepared. I took advice from so many users on this forum so that after surgery I wouldn't be scrambling for things I might need. I listen to my bariatric team,ask questions, take notes. I talk to my psychologist weekly, and until now I have been in a really good place. I will get back there.

I am using my fitness pal. I have downloaded bariatistic, but have not actually it tried it yet. As I said earlier, I do believe not logging food is more a result of trying to deal with everything else.

I do thank everyone for your guidance and support. It is thanks to people like you that I know that difficult times like this will pass, and with strength, endurance and faith, I will get through this and live a healthier, stronger and longer life!

Kathi, I can't describe the incredible panic I felt after a lump showed up on my mammogram. And even now, my heart is pounding, remembering seeing it.

I had a needle biopsy and it was only a calcium deposit. My mom had lots of them. I think we were told these occur frequently as a result of long breastfeeding.

But you are in my thoughts. I'm grateful our technology and diagnosis skills are so advanced. Breast disease is not the horror show it used to be because we're so much more able to explore breast tissue on site. You have all my best wishes.

Kathi, I wish they could get you in sooner for your biopsy, as the waiting is horrible. And to be in the middle of a drug change, especially a depression one, as well is really, really crappy timing. Add in dental issues and it's really overwhelming. The only thing you can do is stay strong. There are a lot of things that can go wrong here, but they don't have to. If your MRI is clear, you may not need a guided biopsy. Many things show up on mammograms that require a second or even third look. Don't automatically assume the worst. As for the WLS, you're right. The work is done. So, it will happen. If you need to pause, well, that's okay too. Take care of what you can and deal with the rest as it happens. And if you can't manage the extra effort to log your food right now, don't. It really is the least important thing on your to-do list right now. Know that we're rooting for you and we're here if you need us.

Update:

I've posted some of this on other threads so I apologize in advance for the redundancy.

I am already feeling much better. I started feeling better a few days ago after talking with my psychiatrist. He upped my antidepressant dose immediately. It is too early to say it is helping, but I have hopes that it will.

I then dug out a temporary device for my teeth that I was given to use years ago while they made my permanent partial denture. It is a very lightweight version and not meant to be worn long term. I tried it to see if it aggravated the inflamed areas of my gums, and I was astonished to find that it did not! With some use of a product called Cushion Grip and tweaking of a wire, I now no longer have to go around looking like I am missing a lot of my lower teeth! I called my dentist and they said this was perfect, and not to even try to put my permanent partial in for at least a week. They may have to do some more adjustments on that. I still can chew well, as this temporarily solution isn't very stable and I don't want to risk irritating anymore gum tissue, but I at least I am not longer in constant pain.

I saw my nutritionist on Monday. I explained to about everything that was going on, and it was like having my own personal cheerleader. I left her office feeling better than I have in several days.

I even stopped at a garden store and bought some annuals to plants in two 17 in long window boxes in my indoor kitchen garden window. I much to my husband's dismay I have also bought more plants for the window box too.

I saw my surgical team yesterday and they set a date. August 11th. This is assuming my breast MRI is okay. If it is not surgery will be postponed. I am staying optimistic that this will not be necessary.

Because my BMI is at 35.2, just barely over minimum, I won't have to do the preop liver shrinkage diet. I do have to be careful to maintain my weight in the meantime.

So, I am excited, scared, stilled a bit overwhelmed, but most of all I have been at 60 years old, I am ready start living!

Update:

I've posted some of this on other threads so I apologize in advance for the redundancy.

I am already feeling much better. I started feeling better a few days ago after talking with my psychiatrist. He upped my antidepressant dose immediately. It is too early to say it is helping, but I have hopes that it will.

I then dug out a temporary device for my teeth that I was given to use years ago while they made my permanent partial denture. It is a very lightweight version and not meant to be worn long term. I tried it to see if it aggravated the inflamed areas of my gums, and I was astonished to find that it did not! With some use of a product called Cushion Grip and tweaking of a wire, I now no longer have to go around looking like I am missing a lot of my lower teeth! I called my dentist and they said this was perfect, and not to even try to put my permanent partial in for at least a week. They may have to do some more adjustments on that. I still can chew well, as this temporarily solution isn't very stable and I don't want to risk irritating anymore gum tissue, but I at least I am not longer in constant pain.

I saw my nutritionist on Monday. I explained to about everything that was going on, and it was like having my own personal cheerleader. I left her office feeling better than I have in several days.

I even stopped at a garden store and bought some annuals to plants in two 17 in long window boxes in my indoor kitchen garden window. I much to my husband's dismay I have also bought more plants for the window box too.

I saw my surgical team yesterday and they set a date. August 11th. This is assuming my breast MRI is okay. If it is not surgery will be postponed. I am staying optimistic that this will not be necessary.

Because my BMI is at 35.2, just barely over minimum, I won't have to do the preop liver shrinkage diet. I do have to be careful to maintain my weight in the meantime.

So, I am excited, scared, stilled a bit overwhelmed, but most of all I have been at 60 years old, I am ready start living!
All wonderful news!

Back