• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Filipino Spaghetti

Fosgate

I had not made this for awhile and my wife always loves it when I do as it reminds her of home in the Philippines and Jollibee but we do not have one of their restaurants near us. A Filipina coworker of my wife asked us to bring home some when we went to Chicago. However, while it made the trip, she could not keep it down due to her ongoing colon and intestinal problems. Though I made her a batch very close to it with Splenda instead of sugar and it works for her now. (She keeps asking me for more. Anthony Bourdain Sums it up pretty solid. Italians will think this is a violation against spaghetti. One has to remember how this came about. American GI's brought their love for the Italian version with them to the Philippines but the Filipinos used what they had available to them. Much of Filipino cooking utilizes pork as a former Spanish Colony yet holds onto it's readily available Asian ingredients. Plus you cant forget that the Philippines like their food with lots of garlic, peppercorns, vinegar, sugar and rice as being very common ingredients in almost any dish. You feed this to any kid and they are going to love it. I've even become sickly attracted to it myself.

First off is noodle selection as being very important. If you have ever tried the spaghetti at Jollibee first thing you'll notice as that the noodle is firmer than your normal store bought noodle. It's a bit more firm, more like an Asian noodle or ramen noodle. The noodle I use for my wife and I is common in the Philippines and pretty easy to get at a decent Asian grocery store or online here. White King Fiesta Spaghetti Firm Noodle The great thing is for bariatrics is it has 5g of protein in every serving. The bad for some is that High Grade Wheat is a major ingredient.

On to the meat. I had a harder time trying to find minced ham and eventually just grabbed a 1lb package of diced ham at the grocery store and ran it through my ninja food processor. Ground pork just does not provide the right texture in my opinion.

Next the hot dogs. They are like a lot of bland American hot dogs. but get yourself the smoke red hot dogs at an Asian Grocery store. Ether a pack like this or the little smokie looking one. Pretty common to get the Martin or Pinoy Delight brand about anywhere. (Slice them diagonally though)

I substitute splenda in place of sugar. I toss in anywhere from 6-8 packets.

Follow the recipe from here, while I would not cook any more spaghetti than you are going to immediately use. Freeze half the sauce and refrigerate what you don't use for leftovers.

Jollibee Style Spaghetti

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs Spaghetti pasta
  • 3 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 1 lb. minced ham
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
  • 6 to 8 pieces red hotdogs sliced diagonally
  • 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
  • 1 medium yellow onion minced
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup shredded Velveeta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  • Cook the spaghetti pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
  • Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
  • Saute the garlic and onion.
  • Add the ham. Cook for 3 minutes.
  • Put-in the ground pork. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Pour-in the tomato sauce and beef broth. Stir and let boil. Simmer for 60 minutes.
  • Add the hotdogs and tomato paste. Stir and cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
  • Put-in the sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir until the ingredients are well incorporated.
  • Arrange the spaghetti pasta in an individual plate. Pour the meat sauce over the pasta and top with cheese.
  • Serve. Share and enjoy!

I forgot to mention, for the fine minced ham you can run any ham through a food processor to chop it to mince. I either buy the ham chopped in 1/4 inch cubes if available or just buy a ham steak etc and cut it just fine enough to run it through the processor.

I hope this is an occasional treat cuz it is definately not an ideal post bariatric surgery meal!!

Depends on your procedure. I had a duodenal Switch with Roux En Y (2 years out). I don't have as much food sensitivity as others with the exception of sugar, sugar alcohols and some "natural" sweeteners. Also the procedure leaves me taking supplements for the rest of my life and chasing enough calories for the day. My danger is not overeating but undereating and malnutrition so I need calories and as many as I can get.

I forgot to mention in the recipe that you should use a 1/4 cup of Splenda instead of 1/2 cup of white sugar. I usually make the recipe and scoop up my portion , which is about 1/2 of the recipe and just add the equivalent amount of Splenda (1/8). The rest is for my wife so I add the recipe equivalent (1/4 cup) of sugar to hers.

Oh, and this reminds me: does anyone else think Splenda gets a weird taste when it's heated up, boiled or baked? I find it sickening.

Back