• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First road trip since getting sleeved, any advice?

Lesa Marie

If you all don’t already know, my husband, kids and I all travel full time. We are taking a week vacation back home to TX to visit family since we are still here in UT for work. Typically we are all drained of energy and end up getting sick at the end of our trip from eating crap food on the go (and being exhausted from traveling day after day) which then lowers our immune system. I do NOT plan on taking any foods with me except my protein shakes and a few healthy dry snacks. So any ideas on places to eat decent at along the way? I’ve been very fortunate to not ever get sick from eating something fried or sweet etc.. although I don’t eat a lot of them I still don’t want to push it on the road. Last thing anyone wants is to be sick on a road trip.

Your best bet is to shop the nutritional supplements aisle at your grocery/pharmacy. There are dozens of brands, all committed to attract your purchase by being easy and high-protein.

I went mountain-hiking while still in phased eating. I packed a lot of protein bars, including high-calorie. I was burning so many, I needed to keep up my body's nutritional level so I wouldn't crash or starve.

Life is way different post-op, so it's essential to attend to your body's needs. It's not necessary to understand the science, but you MUST make sure you provide the nutrients required to stay alive and function.

In your case, your lifestyle can't be based on normal eating. I'd suggest you really tune in to hunger signals so you can differentiate them from unhealthy urges to eat crap when you really just need a glass of water, a nap, or a high-protein snack. This is really hard, because you're probably listening to an addiction right now.

You're unique. You're going to have to figure out how your nomadic style affects actual hunger. A nutritionist can probably really help you do this. You might be surprised at how many misconceptions have sneaked in.

I usually go to grocery stores and keep a cooler filled with ice and healthy whole food snacks and try to limit restaurant meals, etc. I will stop and have a picnic sort of thing. That being said, part of the travel experience sometimes is going to a unique food place, so I don't get too concerned about eating foods I wouldn't normally eat during a road trip. It's not what you eat over the course of a few days that matters, it's what you eat on most of the other days of the year.

I went on a 2 week road trip in June. I will tell you that fast food does not sit very well, and my trip was around my 1yr surgiversary. And the problem with sit down restaurants is portion size. So, I would suggest either just taking your own stuff or eating some of whatever everyone else gets. We stopped at Wendy's for breakfast .. tasted good. Came right back up. McDonalds for lunch .. chicken nuggets stayed down, but I was slightly nauseous for the rest of the day. And so buy day 3, I was just grabbing a protein shake or trail mix at the gas station and having part of my husbands dinner or a kids meal at real food restaurants. I have no problem explaining that I had bypass and cannot eat a full meal. Most places are happy to let you either order a kids meal or share.

Back