• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Fluid Intake

I'm 2 days post-op and I'm struggling with fluid. I can only drink hot liquid (decafe tea) without having pain and discomfort. Anyone else have this experience?
You'll go through a whole bunch of stuff that's really uncomfortable or even painful, but it doesn't last long.

Just try to rest as much as possible. If you can measure out your water every day and then just drink it till the container is empty, that helps. You can only drink hot liquid, can you make the tea or whatever and then heat it up in the microwave before you drink it?

Everyone has a different experience, but most are similar. Just give yourself a lot of breaks and before you know it, you'll be pain-free and even excited about what you're going to drink next.

There's no rule I know of that says you have to drink cold stuff. Anyone else in the group have this restriction and/or problem?

Nearly everyone struggles with liquid intake those first few weeks. My team allowed me to count my clear protein water and shakes which helped. There was no way I was getting all that liquid protein in AND 64oz of water. You can also just add clear protein water to your tea so you can have it warm. Lemon or orange would probably work best for that.

You just need time to heal. Do your best and you'll meet your goals soon enough. Congrats and good luck!

I'm 2 days post-op and I'm struggling with fluid. I can only drink hot liquid (decafe tea) without having pain and discomfort. Anyone else have this experience?
Hi! I’m 9 days PO and it does get better. My first 3 days I was not able to get much fluid down. I’m now about 45 ounces. It’s not where I want to be but getter there . I’m trying a couple of different things to help from filling up a 32 ounce bottle and at the top of each hour pouring out 4 ounces and drinking over 15” to using a 32 ounce bottle that has markings (not working as well as I thought it would). Hang in there!!

Back