• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Food and beverage likes and dislikes after surgery

Pat99

I thought it would be interesting to have a place to share how our tastes for certain foods and beverages have changed since surgery.

I no longer like: black olives, green peppers.

I liked the following before surgery but like them even better now: cheez-it crackers, apples, cheese, eggs, cabbage, salads, coffee. I can't go a day without eating cheese. My favorites are cheddar, colby, swiss, muenster, cottage cheese. I like American cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich and feta in salads and spinach pie. I like cottage cheese for a snack by itself or on top of a piece of light whole grain toast for breakfast. I like swiss and cheddar with an apple.

I like the taste of garlic in certain dishes but now find it so overpowering that I can only use a fraction of what I used to. I can now detect the taste of garlic in pre-made foods that I never realized had it in them before. I also find myself using half the amount of sweetener than I used to because it tastes sweeter to me now.

I no longer crave bread, pasta, (especially ramen noodles), potatoes, pizza, rice.

I have trouble finding almost all foods too sweet. Strawberries or anything strawberry flavored is to sweet. I seem to need to drink things that are bitter or it is just too much.

Hi Lrin34! Congrats on your surgery. Please share the drinks you do like or use? I believe after my surgery I may have your same predicament. I am also extremely interested in the first few days after surgery. Seeing you are only a few weeks out of surgery, do you mind sharing your experiences?
Thank you!

experience

First off I work in the medical field and at the hospital I had my procedure done. I knew it would hurt, I knew I had to walk, I knew it wasn't going to be pleasant. I had talked to co-workers who had it done and said they were ready to go once they woke up. I personally was shocked at the pain I had. So, if your so miserable that the first thing out of your mouth is I think I made a mistake, don't worry it does get better. I walked the second I got to my room and had to be held up by two or nurses but I walked. I found that sitting after that first walked helped ease the pain. I walked again within 30 mins before getting more pain meds. Once the initial pain was over I was up and walking on my own every two hours. My issue was I was so nauseated. Ice chips were difficult for me so I ended up staying 2.5 days in the hospital. The swallow study the next day to make sure was stomach was not leaking was very difficult since I was already sick and I spent the rest of the day vomiting barium. It wasn't until the second night after my surgery when I actually at some think chicken broth and two bites and I was done. Mostly going home I needed the Phenergan and I am now on Zofran. At home I made sure I walked around the block a few times a day. I still am mostly on protein shakes and I spent a small fortune trying to find good ones. I like from GNC the lean shake. It has 25g of protein and only 2g of sugar. I get the pre-made ones but they do taste better than the powder. I like the swiss chocolate and the banana. I loved the strawberry crème but after the sugar it was so sweet to me I couldn't swallow it. Also, I found that water ice cold felt better than room temp or just in the fridge for a short time.
I was annoyed by the burping after every single swallow of anything but that went a way in a week. I have also started to take probiotics since constipation is a big problem and they help so much. I have trouble getting all my pills in so I went to sublingual or liquid to make it easier and I keep tums since sometimes I can not get my acid reflux pill down and that is a must.
Do not be surprised if you feel funny when you eat. Its the sensation of everything rubbing on the lining of the staples. It didn't hurt but felt creepy.
As for working out I joined a gym and starting going two week post op. Since I only take in 400 calories I do not work too much since if you loose everything you put in you will pass out. I just do the treadmill for about 130 calories and then work my arms since three weeks out and the skin is already hanging. For the days I do not want to go to the gym I got the wii fit and do step aerobics and bought 3 and 5 pound weights to work on my arms.
Do not feel lazy if you sleep a lot. I still at times need really long naps but feel great after and seem to have more energy after to do what I need to do. If I am tired I sleep.
I do not know if any of you are into essential oils but they have been a great help. I use them for nausea, detox, and headaches which I have gotten a lot of the first few weeks, also for muscle pain.
I would suggest the first two weeks when you go grocery shopping, and yes you will go no matter how well prepared you are, take someone with you to push the cart. I about passed out just pushing an empty cart and had to call someone to meet me.
Just keep a supply of Phenergan and Zofran around, yogurt, water, protein drinks, I also did cran-grape juice to sip.
And a great tip, arby's will put their meat through the grinder extra for you so its tiny tiny tiny. I did that a lot for protein when I really struggle with the drinks.

Wow Lrin34! That was awesome! So much info to soak in. Great ideas and tips as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of this great information as well.
Looking forward to my own surgery, 90 days away.

Good luck with your surgery!! The pre-op diet was very hard. I know everyone's is different. Mine was a seven day clear liquid except for protein shakes. That was so hard and I wish I had cut down on stuff before I started it instead of just waking up and not eating.

Yeah, I've been trying to cut stuff out all ready. I don't drink anything carbonated anymore. I only have a coffee 2 times a week or so. I've also picked up the quantity of water I drink. I generally eat meat and veggies, I also juice a lot. I have been indulging though, I love me a dipped cone from McDonalds!
Unfortunately, I have an insatiable appetite. I wake up hungry and generally go to sleep hungry but I make sure to get all sorts of eating in between! It's gonna be fabulous not to be hungry, I am so excited about that!;)

I miss my coffee and can not stand decaf coffee so I have even given up that. Not being hungry is nice until you realize you have to eat or drink something. I have to remember to eat and drink since I still get nauseated a lot. My kids tend to bring me protein drinks randomly so that helps out.

I know what you mean about coffee Lrin34. I sometimes had 4-5 coffees a day. I was loony but I have calmed down a lot since my hay day. LOL

Hi Staceyjo:
Wow yes so much info sorry to know you went to so much after the surgery I geust I was bless because I did not went to so much
my bigest problems now is gas the burping you did right after surgery did not happen to me until now I am 1 1/2 month out and I am also having
problems with constipation other then that I am doing well thank you for sharing your experience.

Joygirl55:confused:

RedMama if you haven't already try to sip everything you drink it will help get into the habit after surgery. I was a big water drinker before but it was long big gulps noway now. if you try adding unflavored protein powder to hot liquids afterwards do not let the fluid get over 130 degrees or the protein will get all chunky and not dissolve. not sure how your program is setup , I went thru four week of fluids before moving to very soft puree type foods. good luck you will do great

booly,
I am a HUGE water gulper. Thank you so much for suggesting that. I also have a packet of unflavored protein powder on order. How about a high protein chicken broth? I found Unjury has a high protein chicken broth and was hoping I could use it.

RedMama, my experience lands on the other end of the spectrum. I had my surgery at a different hospital that required only 24 hours of a liquid diet pre surgery, and I was able to walk fairly easily post surgery. I spent only one night in the hospital. I have had no nausea or vomiting. I had trouble figuring out how to listen to my body at first - how to figure out when I was full - because I felt full a lot. I was able to consume liquids just fine most of the time. When sweet stuff turned me off, savory items like broth were more palatable. I hyperextended my knee 5 days before surgery and have had more pain from that than from my surgery!! For the first 5 days after surgery, I felt great. Then I began to feel listless, and I still have little energy - even though I'm getting all of my vitamins including extra B12. Also beginning 5 days after surgery, I began to feel clammy all of the time and more emotional because of the estrogen being released from fat storage. Those symptoms have passed. I feel as if I am constantly eating or sipping and writing in my food diary.

My surgeon prefers that we eat our protein versus drinking it. I am now eating all of my protein: high protein oatmeal with Carbmaster milk, fish, chicken, Boca veggie burgers. I am usually too full to eat many veggies or fruit. When I return to work, it will be more convenient to drink my protein there. So I plan to make green smoothies with protein powder with my Ninja.

As far as other products I have used: I drink lots of Crystal Light. I don't care for the Unjury protein powder. I really like the hot chocolate protein drinks from Doctors Best Weight Loss called NutriWise. They are delicious, and they don't clump up in hot water like Unjury. Because i like the hot drinks so much, I bought an electric kettle to take to work. I also love the calcium chewy bites from Bariatric Advantage because they taste like candy (the caramel is my fave). I also take the chewable iron tablets from Bariatric Advantage. I tried a liquid iron from a Gaia, but I couldn't gag it down. Your nutritionist probably told you to use baby spoons - this is a great tip. I use them all of the time. When I'm on the go, I like the Muscle Milk Light. I do not care for the IsoPure, but I have seen where someone else on this site really likes it. Other protein products I have tried: Whey protein vanilla - it's ok. I use it in smoothies. Chike banana flavor - really yummy. I almost forgot - if you like peanut butter, you might want to check out PB2 in plain or chocolate. It's ground up peanuts that you can add to whatever. I use it with the Chike for a yummy protein shake.

Good luck in September!

Lettuce and Bread

I know, odd combination! I am now 9 months post surgery, and I get two different sensations when I eat lettuce and bread, preventing me from eating them.

Lettuce causes an immediate sharp pain. However, I seem to be able to partake of spinach, cabbage, and kale. The pain lasts until the lettuce passes through the stomach.

Bread causes a dull ache in my stomach. I can have tortillas, but seem unable to have bread and pasta. This pain lasts for HOURS.

Does any one else have this type of reaction to certain foods? Is this a permanent reaction?

Interesting.

I love sausage, always did and still do. But it doesn't love me anymore. I can have one bite and that is that,

I love salads, but again they don't love me. So very limited quantity. I do hope this changes for the better.

Eggs have always been my favorite. I have the most mornings or midday.

Ice Cream I love and I can tolerate a lot of it; amazing!

Cashews, love them and they are fine with me too.

Cheeses are good and I can tolerate them

I am really having trouble intaking any amount of veggies. Not that I don't like them, but I become quite gassy and uncomfortable quickly

I know, odd combination! I am now 9 months post surgery, and I get two different sensations when I eat lettuce and bread, preventing me from eating them.

Lettuce causes an immediate sharp pain. However, I seem to be able to partake of spinach, cabbage, and kale. The pain lasts until the lettuce passes through the stomach.

Bread causes a dull ache in my stomach. I can have tortillas, but seem unable to have bread and pasta. This pain lasts for HOURS.

Does any one else have this type of reaction to certain foods? Is this a permanent reaction?

Since surgery I have had trouble with bread. I also have trouble with biscuits. In the beginning, I would choke and strangle on them and throw up. Now they stay down but they just don't agree with me at all. I can eat bread easier if I toast it. I could eat crackers ok from the beginning. I like to make a ham sandwich out of Ritz crackers. Yummy and their calories and carbs are real good.

Good luck!

Cheyenne

I do not tolerate red meat, it causes major pouch irritation

Anything sweet is way to sweet for me now.

Anything bread or crackers really set me off with pouch irritation.

I now prefer salty foods over anything.

I have always had issues with solid foods due to my esophageal issues. I handle liquids a lot better.

I have the same problem with lettuce and breads unless the bread is toasted. Also rice and noodles I can tolerate maybe an 1/8th cup at most. I end up throwing up or in terrible pain so I just don't eat lettuce or bread. I will try a little every so often but so far no good. Just one or two bites of lettuce has me gaging. I miss salads so much. I can eat cooked greens all types but no raw leafy veggies for me. No doughy breads or cakes either.

I'm not sure if it is permanent or not.

This also includes pizza. I just eat the toppings. One five inch corn tortilla is my max too. Oh no don't get me started I don't really miss it too much until I think about it so.....never mind.

Back