• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Food and beverage likes and dislikes after surgery

I cannot eat pizza. It becomes an issue quickly get sick.

Salads still having issues but getting better. I am doing veggies better too. I am able to have up to 1 cup and do ok, but I still get very gassy from these items.

I have to be careful not to eat too quickly. This brings on pain and gas immediately. So, I have to really concentrate on pacing myself sometimes even stopping 1/2 through a meal and waiting 10 minutes or so before continuing.

I cannot eat pizza. It becomes an issue quickly get sick.

Salads still having issues but getting better. I am doing veggies better too. I am able to have up to 1 cup and do ok, but I still get very gassy from these items.

I have to be careful not to eat too quickly. This brings on pain and gas immediately. So, I have to really concentrate on pacing myself sometimes even stopping 1/2 through a meal and waiting 10 minutes or so before continuing.

That's good advice. Thanks

I am 6 days post-op. I am only able to get down about 2 oz. of my protein shake 3 times a day. My doctor and dietician want me to be able to drank 4 oz of my protein shake, 3x a day, by the end of week one. I have tried a multitude of the protein shakes, and settled on the only one I could tolerate (taste wise), Bariatric Advantage Chocolate. Now the mere thought of having to drank it makes my throat swell and makes me gag. The diet plan I am on says I can start pureed foods tomorrow, only 1/4 a cup twice a day, and continue with the protein shakes 3-4 times a day. I am concerned about being able to do what my doctor's office and dietician want me to do, and I am listless, probably due to not getting enough protein. They want me to order specific types of protein products (and prefer the order be made through them). When I mentioned buying protein supplements from GNC, they balked at the idea and went in to some explanation about how the protein and vitamins are not processed the same in the body. I want to please my doctor, but I also want to feel better. Any advice??? :)

Hello & Welcome to the Other Side,

I'm not liking what the Dr. & NUT (nutricianist) are saying. Buy our shakes only. I do agree you need to drink more and you may have to just "suck it up" (pun intended) and get down at least 32 grams of protein. Don't worry about the ounces in terms of Protein, think in terms of nutritional grams. You should be trying to at least 32-40 ounces of fluids (anything decaffinated) you can also include your protein drinks.
I couldn't stand whey protein so Dancibar recommended Isopure. It's a transparent juice in dozens of different flavored. Like him I like the grape the best. It tastes like a weak Kool Aid grape drink, but their Kiwi-mango is good too. Buy a few single bottles of different flavors to find the one you like. I solute doesn't hVe the sickening Whey smell that still makes me gag.
But Seriously you need to get your fluids and protein in because you definitely won't like the consequences. Sip sip sip. Forget about 3 times a day. If you have to drink a teaspoon every hour to get these two requirements into your body then just do it. That's all I can say about that.

Don't get discouraged or scared. Keep posting your progress here and keep up with recording everything you put into your body and you will do just fine.
Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Thank you for the advice. I am doing ok with the fluids. I could do a little better though. I am getting about 25-28 oz a day. I drink a lot of water with crystal light flavor inhancer in it, eat sugar free popcicles, and crushed ice (my hubby got me a bag of ice from Sonic). I noticed GNC has an Isopure powder that is unflavored, which can be sprinkled on food and in dranks. It has 25 grams of natural whey protein per serving. I wonder if I could substitute my protein shakes for that.

You sure can sprinkle the protein on anything you like. Any way you can get your protein and fluids in is AOK. You might try looking back on some of the old posts from earlier this year. There are a lot of great recipes that were shared that packed a lot of flavor and protein into tiny meals. Have fun and be creative wig your cooking quest.

Back