• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Food getting stuck

JaimeS

So I had my first experience with chicken last night and was very careful and it still got stuck per my drs orders I’m drinking pineapple juice and using meat tenderizer trying to break it up with acid. Does anyone know how long this could take man this is painful and if it doesn’t work I have to go to the er. Just praying it works and fast.

Here are a few things that helped me.

First, get baby cutlery--tiny forks and spoons. Only use those when you eat.

Second, broil your skinless, boneless chicken, then cut it into TINY pieces and mash them into mush. Thighs are best for this.

Make a tablespoon of gravy, using packaged gravy (or sauce) and mix it into the chicken mush.

Set a timer for 20 minutes. Take baby bites, putting your fork or spoon down between bites.

Chew at least 20 times, allowing your saliva to make it even slippier. Make sure your tastebuds have a chance to enjoy it.

When you eat, do nothing else. No reading, no tv. Sit at a table. Put a weed or flower in a bud vase in front of your place and ponder the beauty of the petals and the structure of the leaves and stems. If you have any regretful or resentful thoughts, redirect them to images of pretty clothes, hiking trails, children and pets and people who smile and let yourself feel grateful you made the choice that will allow you to experience these things.

Say affirmations and offer a prayer of gratitude if you do that, with each bite. A great chewing affirmation is, "Every thing I eat turns to health and beauty." (From The Only Diet There Is")

You'll swallow most of it because swallowing is involuntary. If need be, use a sip of water. This is different from drinking with a meal, and helps you meet your water goal.

Stop when the timer goes off. If any chicken is left, make note, and next time, increase your timer setting appropriately.

Eat slowly. ENJOY IT. Savor your food. Food is supposed to taste good and be enjoyed.

When I reached the puree phase, I put cooked turkey, a little gravy powder, a splash of Magic Milk (search forum for easy MM recipe) in a blender and mashed it up. Then I added a tablespoon of cranberry sauce by hand and blended it in.

Post-op eating isn't supposed to be punishing. I still eat turkey like this.

YOU can do this with meatloaf & creamed corn + mashed potatoes & MM, broiled fish (or canned tuna) with a saltine cracker and MM, and any combination of protein+vegetable+liquid.

Post-op eating is not about calories. It's about using the power of protein to do its thing in your digestive system.

Second, broil your skinless, boneless chicken, then cut it into TINY pieces and mash them into mush. Thighs are best for this.

Make a tablespoon of gravy, using packaged gravy (or sauce) and mix it into the chicken mush.

Set a timer for 20 minutes. Take baby bites, putting your fork or spoon down between bites.

Chew at least 20 times, allowing your saliva to make it even slippier. Make sure your tastebuds have a chance to enjoy it.

When you eat, do nothing else. No reading, no tv. Sit at a table. Put a weed or flower in a bud vase in front of your place and ponder the beauty of the petals and the structure of the leaves and stems. If you have any regretful or resentful thoughts, redirect them to images of pretty clothes, hiking trails, children and pets and people who smile and let yourself feel grateful you made the choice that will allow you to experience these things.

Say affirmations and offer a prayer of gratitude if you do that, with each bite. A great chewing affirmation is, "Every thing I eat turns to health and beauty." (From The Only Diet There Is")

You'll swallow most of it because swallowing is involuntary. If need be, use a sip of water. This is different from drinking with a meal, and helps you meet your water goal.

Stop when the timer goes off. If any chicken is left, make note, and next time, increase your timer setting appropriately.

Eat slowly. ENJOY IT. Savor your food. Food is supposed to taste good and be enjoyed.

When I reached the puree phase, I put cooked turkey, a little gravy powder, a splash of Magic Milk (search forum for easy MM recipe) in a blender and mashed it up. Then I added a tablespoon of cranberry sauce by hand and blended it in.

YOU can do this with meatloaf & creamed corn + mashed potatoes & MM, broiled fish (or canned tuna) with a saltine cracker and MM, and any combination of protein+vegetable+liquid.

Post-op eating is not about calories. It's about using the power of protein to do its thing in your digestive system.

View attachment 4478
Thank you I so thought I was careful
I marinated it but didn’t make sure when I reheated it it had sauce or gravy I do have baby cutlery to make sure I keep my bite sizes in check. I like to think I’m going slow but maybe not slow enough all I know is I may not eat chicken for awhile !

View attachment 4478
OMG thank you so much for this reminder of how & what to eat. I needed this good advice.

Oh do I ever remember the first time that happened to me early in the process. I was in a lot of pain but it did eventually come up.

I have learned it makes a big difference how you prepare meat as to how well it is tolerated. Slow cookers are great for making things tender, as is an instant pot. When I roast a chicken, while I use to love making crisp skin, I no longer do that as the meat will get drier. I now buy the oven roasters in the cooking bag because it comes out so moist and tender.

Oh do I ever remember the first time that happened to me early in the process. I was in a lot of pain but it did eventually come up.

I have learned it makes a big difference how you prepare meat as to how well it is tolerated. Slow cookers are great for making things tender, as is an instant pot. When I roast a chicken, while I use to love making crisp skin, I no longer do that as the meat will get drier. I now buy the oven roasters in the cooking bag because it comes out so moist and tender.
Thank you

Back