• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

food progression fears

GCooper

Just wanted to put this out there. Does anyone else have this issue? As I am adding more foods to my diet, I am scared of eating. I can tolerate alot of foods now, including chicken, and I'm so afraid of eating too much or that I could break into my old habits again. I'm 9 weeks out and just now introducing new things everyday or so. I am being very careful, havn't ever experienced dumping syndrome, and I've only thrown up once so I know I'm doing whats right. My mind is telling me, wow, you can eat alot of stuff now. It scares me to death. I liked it better when I could only pick and choose. I log everything, and I'm not eating things I shouldn't, I just know I could if I wanted. Scary!!!

GCooper-It's a learning process so you just have to follow the rules and you'll be OK. If things bother you too much just don't bring the foods you are afraid to eat into the house. Just don't short yourself on protein.

I think alot of people feel as you do, you went through some serious surgery and post op and none of us want to go back to bad habits but the small stomach will limit you unless you force it. Relax, you are doing ok and will do fine!!

I can relate. So glad you brought this up. I have a small number of foods I eat. I am kind of afraid if it tastes to good I will want more. I weigh and measure and eat slowly. I know I am doing the right thing, but a life time of disordered eating does not get cured by surgery. It is simply a tool. Learning to change my relationship with food is the real work, which I have been working on since the 90's, when I realized it was not about the food. I am only 5 months post op so still in the losing phrase. I still have this lurking fear about what will happen when this phrase is over and if I will be able to maintain the loss. I try and focus on all the wonderful changes in my life since I have had the surgery and remember it is always one day at a time.

I am having some of the same feelings as well. I get to start soft foods and I have very mixed feelings about it. I'm glad because I'm making progress but I am afraid of slowing/stopping the weight loss.

Being limited made it easier, for sure. I'm six months out and was shocked the other week when things were going haywire at work and I actually opened my old "goodies" drawer. It now has sugar free gum in it and hasn't had "goodies" forever. Showed me how quickly old habits and emotional hunger could start back up.

Oh my goodness....I have all those concerns. I have been so good losing my weight goal before surgery and now the holidays are upon us and eeeekkkkk!

I don't want to enlarge my shrinking liver and gain my weight back before surgery, which would probably be canceled if I did.

I have a cousin who had gastric sleeve a year ago and she is able to eat anything now. She hasn't lost any weight since June and she has been so supportive
of my WLS decision. She was just saying yesterday that I am going to be able to help her get back on track again.

I need to be able to help others. It helps me to help myself. That is why I enjoy all the wonderful tips from a great bunch of supporters here at ABMS.

New motto.....Chin Up and fork, knife and spoon down. Ok maybe a little cheesy but having fun is what makes it fun.

Hi GC, like Pat said just follow the rules given you and you will be fine. You will find that some things you ate before will cause dumping in any amount, your taste buds will start to like things that are healthier that you may not have liked before, it was fish for me, I didn't care much for it pre op but now I like it:eek: Your pouch will also let you know when you are full, if you weigh or measure everything you will find that even the small meals will fill you up and still have some left on the plate. Hnag in there you will do fine. :cool: Tom

Back