• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Food questions

AmandaW

Ok so I know my diet sheet from the doctor is not going to include junk food and I don't think i can call them up and say hey so wheres the cake and cookies on here?? But really when is it ok to have A cookie? or to have a little cake at a wedding or for a birthday? Or most importantly when can I have a little popcorn at the movies? So many movies out right now and my husband and i go and the smell of popcorn is sending my saliva glands into overdrive. Its odd that i can smell all these foods that people around me are eating and don't crave them at all but certain things i want so bad! Popcorn for instance. But the amazing spaghetti and meatballs my mother made for my husband the other day which i normally go nuts for...ehh take it or leave it. Suggestions? Comments? Words of wisdom?

Be very cautious with these types of foods. In all the research these are called slider foods. You can potentially eat these and GAIN weight. I personally do not plan to partake in cake and cookies unless they are recipes that have been changes to suit weight loss surgery patients. As for the popcorn this is on the list of things that can difficult to digest post surgery. I had the gastric bypass so I have more restrictions. Make sure you do your homework, it would be a shame to go threw all the preparations, surgery and recovery to gain weight.

Good luck in your journey

My favorite quote "don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment"

Be very cautious with these types of foods. In all the research these are called slider foods. You can potentially eat these and GAIN weight. I personally do not plan to partake in cake and cookies unless they are recipes that have been changes to suit weight loss surgery patients. As for the popcorn this is on the list of things that can difficult to digest post surgery. I had the gastric bypass so I have more restrictions. Make sure you do your homework, it would be a shame to go threw all the preparations, surgery and recovery to gain weight.

Good luck in your journey

My favorite quote "don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment"

Amen! Sister CALQL84HEALTH!

God bless you

I am a 1 yr post op and have not done it yet. I really don't want to. It is a slippery road. Maybe someday I will take the time to adjust a recipe or something, but for now I am really happy following a food plan that does not incorporate sugar in it. I also would say maybe you should not do this until you are out of the losing phrase and well into maintenance. Just sharing what has worked for me. I also respect everyone's choice to do what works for them.

Hello,
I think each person is probably different based on the surgery they've had and the results. I have a friend who had exactly the same surgery, with the same surgeon I used, and she had foods that she cannot eat because they make her feel sick. So far, I can eat everything. Plain lettuce is the only thing I avoid because it makes my stomach roll and feel uncomfortable. Therefore, when I want lettuce/salad, I eat spinach or mixed greens and oddly, they don't seem to have the same effect!

As for your cookie/cake/popcorn question, yes, I can eat all of these things. The key here is "I can, but should I?" If these items were triggers that caused overeating, then it's probably not good to allow yourself to start them. I'm still working on the balance of what to have during those holidays/family gatherings and what is good. I try to focus always on the protein and veggies. Then if I want something I consider a "treat" I have to consider whether I'm willing to go over the 800 calories the dietician said I should be eating daily....and, do I want to work out longer to get rid of it? ;) I guess the key is knowing your triggers and knowing the foods that are going to help you and those that are going to sabotage your goals!

Good luck to you!!

Back