• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Food suggestions - 3 weeks out - please!

dragonfly11

Right now food and I HATE one another. I never thought that would happen. I simply cannot have another bite of cottage cheese, scrambled eggs or pureed soup. Ideas, anyone??? TY!

I had the sleeve...refried beans would be a no no at 3 wks but not sure about bypass. Yogurt w/protein powder, some frozen berries and sugar free jello as a smoothie.

You will be on another stage soon. At least you can have that-I am fresh post-op having just gotten out of the hospital on Friday and so I am on the Stage 1 diet. Will be glad when I get to progress. I know it has to do with the pouch healing and swollen.

Carol

Yes, Carol. Stage 1 diet is the pits! My biggest problem is I literally want NOTHING. No food is appealing to me and, in fact, the idea of most really makes me nauseous. Weird feeling, but yes, Karenina, at least I'm out of the food-rules-my-every-second phase of life! That is a good thing!

Dragonfly-I too had a difficult time with any food until week 5. I didn't even want to be in the same room with food *LOL*

I ‘m assuming you are just starting the soft food phase. If so this is the information I was given from my nutritionist. All foods need to be soft cooked and moist, low in fat and sugar. Everything needs to be chewed completely and thoroughly. Here is a list of foods that are acceptable. Everything from the liquid and pureed plan plus:

Low fat string cheese
Skinless turkey and chicken
Ground lean chicken or turkey
Pork (if tolerated)
Eggs / egg substitute
Fat-free refried beans
Beans (soaked, rinsed and cooked thoroughly)
Tofu
Hummus
Fish, tuna, seafood such as crabmeat, lobster and shrimp (nothing fried).
Low fat deli meats: chicken, turkey, ham. No honey, maple or brown sugar cured meats or beef.
Smooth peanut butter (do not use chunky).

If you find any of these foods are not well tolerated then stay on the pureed meal plan for another week. Not everyone can jump from one stage of the meal plan to the next at the same rate of time. You may find you are able to eat only a few of the "new" foods or perhaps none at this time. Add only one new food each day in case you do not tolerate it well. That way you will know exactly which food you need to stop eating for a week or so until trying again.

Happy eating!!!

Thank you, Pat. SUPER helpful, especially knowing that maybe in a couple of weeks I won't be so angry at food! Yes, I literally don't even want to be in a room with it, much less eat it! Merry Christmas! :D

HI Dragonfly, I cannot eat much without being really nauseated. I found that Wendy's chile goes down easily and has a lot of protein with the beef and beans. We made some today(internet recipie) but with ground Turkey and it is GREAT!!! Google Wendy's Chili recipe and we used the first one that was not an ad and it was delicious. I am so protein and fluid deprived that I am weak to walk etc. I am 4 weeks out Monday. Cannot wait for this nauseaous feeling to go away and just eat and feel full till next meal like regular. I am only getting in about 15 gr of Protein and less than a bottle of water a day. I do get in my calcium most days and vits most days.

Hi dragonfly,

I loved the smoothies and often made one with half a banana in it. My blender was busy in the beginning. In the mornings that was about what I could tolerate. My fav recipe was 8 ounces skim milk, 1/2 banana, one scoop of vanilla unjury. You can use any protein of your choice. Also 8 strawberries or half a peach (I use canned water packed and sugar free) if it is allowed on your plan works well too. Have you tried puddings or are they too carb friendly for you? Joy

I cannot tolerate a smoothie as of today, the protein drink in it whether powder or liquid does not settle well, make me nauseated. I try it every few days but still not doing well whether it is liquid, powder, lactose or non lactose. it is hard, I know I am not getting the proteins I need. Eating slced chicken and sliced cheese but not in any quantity really. I am sure it will get better but I am as weak as a kitten!!

Sandie,
I feel your pain - literally. I struggle every day with protein, but even more so with fluids! It hurts me to drink. I actually do a little bit better with the eating than drinking. I can't wait to move out of this phase too!

Dragonfly I do not think the stage of food is what is my problem, I just can't get in the protein and fluids no matter what food or liquid!! I am not throwing up, just get kind of green with small amts of food or drink. Like cottage cheese I can eat in total over and hour time maybe a 1/4 cup and most times there is some left. I did eat a half bowl of Wendy's Chili(home made with recipe from internet) but over 45 min. How much of that can I eat. I stopped my chewable vitamins to see if they are upsetting my stomach but it made no difference so took them the next day. I am discouraged because not sure what the doc can do about the protein deficit, fluids are easy to replace but not protein.

When I was at that stage, I tried runny mashed potatoes made with low fat, low sodium chicken broth. Flavorful without the fattening margerine, etc.

I called my nutritionist and she says because hot foods go down better so eat hot foods more, BUT drinking fluids is more important so she says. I am not getting in a whole bottle of fluds in, in a day. I feel weak, discouraged but plodding on!

Sandie I'm in the same boat. Can't get all my fluids and also can't get in all my protein. So very weak...and tired of it! Can't really give up because you don't have a choice, but on the other hand I'm also struggling with asking myself if I made the right decision.

I am saying that instead f 64 oz of fluids I am lucky to get 8 oz and instead of 60 grams of Protein I am lucky to get 10grams. I know some think I am not correct but I know what is happening. I eat a little scrambled egg starting at 10 am and at 11:30 I am not finished eating one scrambled egg AND then I felt so full that it is now 6 pm and I am definitely not wanting to eat anything. I sip(1/2tsp) of Propel every few minutes so now have had about 2-3 oz over the days time. I did forget a few times but I feel so full ALL the time and then when I eat I feel very nauseated. I did speak to the nutritionist and she said to give priority to fluids, and if I think warm fluids seem to go through better than do cold then do warm. Last week I was able to eat a whole yogurt(Yoplait 100) and now cannot do that, seem to be going backward if you ask me. I know I am protein deficient and dehydrated! She says it will get better, well I am waiting for that day to come!!!!

Important update- I had blood work and surprise to find out my electrolytes, Protein and A/G ration, kidney function and CBC are ALL normal. My skin is very dry, skin turgor has tenting but blood work wise I am FINE. That makes me feel better, I do not get a lot of fluids or protein in but.......... I have been surviving on Wendy's chili with ground turkey instead of grd meat. LOVE it and must have enough protein. NOT sure where the potassium or sodium is coming from but again it is normal so will keep doing what I do. I can say that for me, warm fluids like caffeine free tea and soups and chil!
How are you all doing that were having problems?

Good to hear Sandie! I actually spent most of the day in the hospital getting 2 bags of fluids and I'm going back again Monday for the same and lab work. I feel better with the fluids but still feel the shakiness in my legs and I'm sure that's protein related. I'm actually enjoying some chili myself at the moment concentrating on the beans that are in it for the protein. So far it's all going down good. Like you, my skin is dry as hell and no amount of lotion makes a difference, but that's the least of my concerns. Hope you continue to make it through! I hope I can stay ahead of my dehydration!

Back