• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Foods to eat

sherriec

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago, and have lost 25 lb. But the last week or so only a pound. My question is do most people have to cut out most carbs ? I was doing really well, now not so much. I eat yogurt, eggs or cooked cereal. Then usually soups, some meat veg and applesauce. I still seem to have gas discomfort too.

Hi Sherrie, don't worry too much about the change in weight loss, it happens all the time. Question, did you start going to the gym or increase your exercising? I hit a stall at the six week mark, just after I started at the gym. I was going four days a week and doing well. For six weeks I lost a total of a pound and a half, yet I lost almost six inches from my waist. I was building muscle mass and losing fat, but since muscle weighs more than fat by volume, the scale didn't move. If you haven't started measuring yourself, please measure yourself the next time you step on the scale. Then each week when you weigh in, measure yourself, you may be losing the inches. Remember we are doing this to be healthy and losing inches is as important as the pounds. Don't be discouraged, keep following the plan and the weight will come off.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Sherrie, don't worry too much about the change in weight loss, it happens all the time. Question, did you start going to the gym or increase your exercising? I hit a stall at the six week mark, just after I started at the gym. I was going four days a week and doing well. For six weeks I lost a total of a pound and a half, yet I lost almost six inches from my waist. I was building muscle mass and losing fat, but since muscle weighs more than fat by volume, the scale didn't move. If you haven't started measuring yourself, please measure yourself the next time you step on the scale. Then each week when you weigh in, measure yourself, you may be losing the inches. Remember we are doing this to be healthy and losing inches is as important as the pounds. Don't be discouraged, keep following the plan and the weight will come off.

Frank

:cool:

Good point Frank. Take measurements too. My waistline has gone from 54 to 44 in a little over 8 weeks. I measure across my belly button. It is amazing.

Last night I actually got back into size 44 pants. I have another set of pants, size 42 that are my next target.

The 46's are all very comfortable now.

In fact, I got back into a set of brand new dress shoes last night that I haven't been able to wear for a long time. Even the feet shrink.

On another note, my pulse rate is down to 53 or so in the morning. I may have to back off of my heart medicines too. I will call my cariologist real soon.

Ralph

My doctor likes to limit carbs at this point in my post-op (3 months) and push more protein and vegetables. I like a little potatoes some times but don't miss the pasta or bread.

Back